Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Venice on a budget -- first-timer questions

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2011, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: aa co
bdemaria, you are correct. And with less than 48 hours in Venice, I don't anticipate getting to Burano or the other "outer" islands. But a place like that, or like the trattoria that he ate at (with the guy who docked ships), are what I was referring to. Friendly, not fancy, but most important, delicious, yet good for a working class budget.
Old May 24, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
3 great tips for 'Venice on a budget'

1) Gondola for €0.50
There are private gondola ferry services that cross the Grand Canal at six different points. (These are often marked on the maps by a dotted line). Just turn up at the embarcation point with your 50 cent coin. The crossings take no more than a few minutes and you usually have to stand up. Brilliant fun!

2) Never sit down for a coffee
In the centre of Venice never sit down at a café or bar for a coffee - ever! If you do you will be charged a hefty service charge. Do as the Italians do and have your drink standing up at the bar: You will be charged no more than the price set by the "Friuli Venezia Giulia" Region - currently around €1.00 for an espresso and around €1.20 for a cappuccino - (Starbucks schmarbucks)!

If you really have to sit down check the prices which must be displayed by law in the bar. There will be two prices quoted: 'Al banco' (standing at the bar); and another one usually referred to as 'Servizio a tavola' (where you will be served when sitting down). Some bars in Venice have modest and reasonable table service rates - but some are extortionate! (Don't say you weren't warned!)

3) Prebook Vaporetto tickets
The Vaporetto is expensive, but if you have to use it try to prebook on line. http://www.veniceconnected.com/node/1503
Old May 24, 2011, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Up In The Air
1) Gondola for €0.50
There are private gondola ferry services that cross the Grand Canal at six different points. (These are often marked on the maps by a dotted line). Just turn up at the embarcation point with your 50 cent coin. The crossings take no more than a few minutes and you usually have to stand up. Brilliant fun!
If one is interested in doing this, these are not gondole - but rather these boats are traghetti so look for the signs that say "traghetto"
Old May 25, 2011, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if you will be in venice for a week, look into the VENICE CARD. it costs €40, includes a week of vaporetto, a bunch of museums and churches(most charge a lot), and entrance to the toilets(really) "Venice Card is the official City Card of Venice, valid 7 days from the first use.s' last time i got one, it was not time punched. was also hard to find. the vaporetto booth in front of the train sta. had them.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by slawecki
if you will be in venice for a week, look into the VENICE CARD. it costs €40, includes a week of vaporetto, a bunch of museums and churches(most charge a lot), and entrance to the toilets(really) "Venice Card is the official City Card of Venice, valid 7 days from the first use.s' last time i got one, it was not time punched. was also hard to find. the vaporetto booth in front of the train sta. had them.
Is the Venice Card good if I'm there for 2 days?
Old May 27, 2011, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by greenythebeast
Is the Venice Card good if I'm there for 2 days?
The original "Venice card" covers 7 days, so it wouldn't make sense for you to get one for just two days.

For 2 days: itall depends on what you plan to do and where you are staying. There are various cards that allow you to build your own itinerary, ranging from just transportation to the all inclusive version mentioned above. The more you add, the better the discount. You can peruse the variety of options at: http://www.veniceconnected.com/

Last edited by bdemaria; May 27, 2011 at 5:36 am
Old May 27, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
The Venice card is a great deal, especially if you take advantage of the discounts that are available if purchased online in advance of your arrival.
Various combinations of days and add-on benefits are offered.

We enjoyed catching the vaporetto whenver/wherever. Considering the 6.50 Euro normal fare, a seven-day card quickly paid for itself.

Our one disappointment with the card was the wi-fi option. Service was pretty spotty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.