Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with 2 week Itinerary to Italy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2010, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Help with 2 week Itinerary to Italy

My husband and I will be going to Italy for the first time this Spring. We are spending 3 days in Paris and then taking the overnight train to Milan but are not sure how to budget our time best in Italy and if we should spend anytime in Milan. We are departing from Naples.

Our proposed itinerary:

Day 1 - arrive in morning in Milan. Take train up to Lake Cuomo and spend the day there, returning at night to Milan.

Day 2 - Milan in morning then leave on train to Venice. See Venice and stay night.

Day 3 - Explore Venice. Take evening train to Florence. Stay night in Florence.

Day 4-9 - Rent car and explore Tuscany.

Day 10-12 - Explore Rome.

Day 13-14 - Take train to Naples and then bus to Positano. Explore Amalfi coast and Capri.

Night of 14th - stay night in Naples and explore. Fly out the afternoon of the 15th.

I'm thinking about skipping Milan/Cuomo and going straight to Venice so we can spend more time later in the Amalfi coast. We would stay at the Park Hyatt Milan though which is conveniently located and somewhere I've always wanted to stay so I am torn.

Any advice on the Milan portion or how better to break up our time?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 22, 2010, 3:51 pm

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by 335i
Day 1 - arrive in morning in Milan. Take train up to Lake Cuomo and spend the day there, returning at night to Milan.
That would be COMO, not CUOMO :-) I know it's popular with Americans, but I would actually skip it and shift around the extra day to Venice, Rome or Naples

Evening in Milan: go to the Navigli area, or to the Colonne di San Lorenzo area, both nightlife spots.

Day 2 - Milan in morning then leave on train to Venice. See Venice and stay night.
You can see some sights, but I would spend 1 day in Milan to arrange a visit to the Last Supper.

One full day in Venice is needed.

Which should include at very least 1 day in florence but better 2, 1 day pisa, half a day in lucca and in siena.

In 3 days, that will be a run! Rome is EXTREMELY beautiful and wide.

Day 13-14 - Take train to Naples and then bus to Positano. Explore Amalfi coast and Capri.
May I advise you to reach Pompei while you are in Naples?

You can move around by train, instead of renting a car.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! It sounds as if I should alter the schedule a little but it seems like every place I mentioned is somewhere we should spend more time.

My thought is if we are cutting Como then we are cutting Milan. Although I want to see the Last Supper I don't want to drag our suitcase around all day before taking an evening train to Venice (and if we don't visit Como then we wouldn't stay in Milan that night).

Then we have that night in Venice as well as the whole next day with an evening train then to Florence. Spend the night in Florence and then continue on as planned. This then gives us an extra day and a half to spend in Rome/Naples/Amalfi coast.

Does that work?
Old Dec 23, 2010, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by raistlin
Which should include at very least 1 day in florence but better 2, 1 day pisa, half a day in lucca and in siena.
Your itinerary makes a lot of sense, except giving Pisa a full day.
I would swap the 1 day Pisa to a 1/2 day, in favor of a full day in either Siena or Lucca. Actually, if I were traveling, I would forego Pisa all together.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 6:20 am

Programs: UA1K,HH-D,SPG-G,Swissotel
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Your itinerary makes a lot of sense, except giving Pisa a full day.
I would swap the 1 day Pisa to a 1/2 day, in favor of a full day in either Siena or Lucca. Actually, if I were traveling, I would forego Pisa all together.
I agree with you totally; if you can time it right I believe the third weekend every month is the street market in Lucca. Lots of booths/stands with great items to see, only about an hour by train from Florence. Go to Pisa see the tower, then on to Siena and Lucca.

About the only guaranteed way to see the Last Supper in Milan is to sign up for a full city tour, typically 3-4 hours but worth it IMHO.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
I had almost the same trip (your days 1-12) but in the reverse direction. I think your Milan time is perfect - the gothic Duomo is very impressive to visit and takes only a couple of hours, and it's just right next to the PHM. We had two nights in Venice, really liked it, and thought that we could've reduced our 4 nights in Florence by one and added another in Venice. In Tuscany we spent 1.5 days in Florence, and 1 day split betwen Pisa and Lucca (both easily accessible by train), and 1 day in Chianti.

List out the places that you must see/do and budget your time accordingly. Unfortunately it's never enough time for vacation!
Old Dec 23, 2010, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
LOL....a lot of differing opinions.

I'd skip Milan.

1/2 day in Pisa is enough -- IF you get tickets for the Tower in time. Other than the Duomo area (which includes the Tower), there is not much else to see. We got there in the morning, and bought entrance tickets to the Tower right away, but still had a 2-hour wait to get in.

Give the extra half-day to Lucca. Try Tratoria de Leo for lunch. Yum! Pisa ==> Lucca by train only 18-20 mins. Lucca ==> Florence/SMN about 55 mins by train.

And buy your tickets for Uffizzi and Academy in FLR on line ahead of time. We bought out tickets about 3 months before our trip, still had to stand in line about 30 mins to pick them up and another 30 mins to enter. The people standing in line to buy tickets were buying tickets for the following 2nd and 3rd day!
Old Dec 24, 2010, 6:08 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by Rusty_Shackleford
About the only guaranteed way to see the Last Supper in Milan is to sign up for a full city tour, typically 3-4 hours but worth it IMHO.
Incorrect. Reservations for the Last Supper can often be arranged by phone. Don't count on the website to show actual availability. Search in this forum for my previous posts.

Also, luggage can be stored for the day at the main train station for a small cost. No need to haul it around all day.

A worthwhile day trip to Lake Como is unrealistic, IMO. Either go up there to spend some time and relax, or don't go at all.

Is this a once-in-a-lifetime trip? Or could you drop another one of the regions and go there in a future trip. Even after dropping Lake Como and/or Milan, this still sounds like a whirlwind trip.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by sc flier
Incorrect. Reservations for the Last Supper can often be arranged by phone. Don't count on the website to show actual availability. Search in this forum for my previous posts.
I agree with you they can be made by phone, but in all honesty typically you can't show up at the hotel, pick up the phone and make an appointment for that afternoon. If you can call maybe 2-3 weeks in advance you might be able to score a slot in a group going through. High season / low season can make a difference as well. At least this is my experience.

Also, luggage can be stored for the day at the main train station for a small cost. No need to haul it around all day.
Good advice and this is available at most train stations across Europe.

A worthwhile day trip to Lake Como is unrealistic, IMO. Either go up there to spend some time and relax, or don't go at all.
We did a day trip (train) from Milan to Como, took a 4 1/2 hour tour around a portion of the lake perimeter by steam vessel and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, we were at the Westin in Milan for 5 days so we had plenty of time to look around the area. Heck, we even made a day trip to Zermatt albeit a long day it was a blast and is doable; nice tour of some of the local train stations.

Is this a once-in-a-lifetime trip? Or could you drop another one of the regions and go there in a future trip. Even after dropping Lake Como and/or Milan, this still sounds like a whirlwind trip.
All this being said, unfortunately Italy is way too expansive and way too complex to visit in a single trip. I would agree to drop a region or two and focus on one area for this trip; but if you feel the need to experience a little of everything by all means do it, just be ready for some hectic adventures.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Rusty_Shackleford
All this being said, unfortunately Italy is way too expansive and way too complex to visit in a single trip. I would agree to drop a region or two and focus on one area for this trip; but if you feel the need to experience a little of everything by all means do it, just be ready for some hectic adventures.
Well damn, my multi quote function didn't work...sorry about that.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 3:40 pm
Original Member

I'll have to disagree with those who recommend cutting out Lake Como. One of the most wonderful and relaxing places I have ever been. But you don't say when in the spring. We were there last time in late April, and it was wonderfully warm -- 70 degrees even up in Lake Como. We stayed in Bellagio for three days, took the ferries to the other towns on the lake, and loved it. If it was colder, I don't think we would have enjoyed it quite as much. So, it depends upon when in the spring you will be there. But if it should be warm, I would stay overnight somewhere on Lake Como, and then head back to Milan.

Only a day seems hardly enough time for Venice. But you seem intent on a whirlwind trip including as much as possible, rather than doing a few places with more time in them.

Similarly, I cannot imagine staying for just an overnight in Florence, literally the heart of the Renaissance. We're heading there again in January.

I love the Amalfi Coast and Capri also.

So, I guess I would be inclined to see less, and spend more time in fewer places.

Sounds great. We're staying in Siena, Cortona and Perugia, among other places on this trip. Let me know if you want evaluations of the places we stay.

Originally Posted by 335i
My husband and I will be going to Italy for the first time this Spring. We are spending 3 days in Paris and then taking the overnight train to Milan but are not sure how to budget our time best in Italy and if we should spend anytime in Milan. We are departing from Naples.

Our proposed itinerary:

Night of 14th - stay night in Naples and explore. Fly out the afternoon of the 15th.

I'm thinking about skipping Milan/Cuomo and going straight to Venice so we can spend more time later in the Amalfi coast. We would stay at the Park Hyatt Milan though which is conveniently located and somewhere I've always wanted to stay so I am torn.

Any advice on the Milan portion or how better to break up our time?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:23 am
EMB

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Gold
You can schedule reservations for the Last Supper on line. I used an agency in Chicago called Select Italy for Last Supper tickets and a guided tour of the Ufizzi. We never waited in line at the Ufizzi, just met our tour guide and walked in past all the people waiting in line.
Your tour seems quite action packed. Why not cut out Milan entirely and take a flight from Paris directly to Venice or Florence? That might save some time.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 12:34 pm

Programs: SPG Jet Blue Delta AA
Sounds to me you are trying to do too much in too little time. I would suggest at least 2 or 3 nights in each destination. I think you will enjoy it more if you are not alway on the move. Otherwise you will have no time to explore you will just be checking things off a list.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Merry Christmas and thanks everyone for the advice!

We are going the end of April into the 2nd week of May. I agree this is somewhat of a whirlwind trip. We hadn't thought about flying from Paris to Venice but that may be an option. I also like the idea of leaving our bags in the train station and going around Milan for the day.

My main thrust with this trip was to see more of Tuscany and the Amalfi coast. The only reason we would go to Milan is because of travelling from Paris by train. I thought fitting in Milan this time around would be good because if/when we go back to Italy we'll want to explore Southern Italy/Sicily, etc. and won't get up north. The same thought process with Venice and Florence - they are both up north and along the way.

We've not visited Italy in the past (been to pretty much every other EU country) because I knew we'd want to spend at least a month there. Unfortunately, getting that kind of time off anytime soon is unrealistic so it means not going until we can spend that kind of time, cramming a lot in, or seeing only a slice of the country.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
You need to do at least another day in Venice and maybe one more in Rome. I think it may be a little too much in a short period of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.