Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can a man wear shorts in Italy?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, MR Silver
Originally Posted by tourist
To confused readers from all over the world: Note that this definition of political is not generally valid in all countries. Neither is labelling sexual preferences or religious issues as political questions.
. . . . . . . . . . .so, flags are genetic or something in your world as opposed to political? We are not discussing sexual preferences or religious issues, so I have no idea what that is about.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Sometimes it pays to be "local" other times being a tourist can get you out of a jam. Either way "shorts" are just not mainstream Italian fashion, other than beachwear. That is SLOWLY changing but could take another decade to fully seem "normal" IMO.

Ciao,
FH
Dated bump I know...but doing some research on Italy and a possible visit next summer. The quoted post said things were SLOWLY changing, just checking for an update for 2014...and 2015 Those on FT who know me will understand why
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
In my personal experience, it is all about context - both environment and person. Running around in a city in the summer, shorts you'll see mainly on tourists or younger Italians. Out in the countryside, a more relaxed environment (particularly in hot months) more likely to see Italians in shorts.

For example, last summer I was in Marche for a week and looking at some real estate. I called to make an appointment to meet an Italian realtor for coffee and a discussion. He showed up dressed in shorts. Now it was 90 F and frankly everyone seemed to be dressed pretty lightly.

Alternatively, the opera at Verona - while there are many in shorts (tourists, families with young kids), grown ups are in long pants. And in my experience, downtown in major cities, that's true as well.

Personally, I dress for comfort and in Italy, in the summer, that means shorts for me. I have a pretty fast metabolism and one side effect is that I heat up easily - without shorts I get overheated and uncomfortable.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I was in Ravenna, Venice, Verona, Padua, Vicenzia, Florence and Rome this summer. Saw shorts on men everywhere. It was extraordinarily hot. Most of the men not in shorts were in suits, so they were going to/returning from work. It wasn't all Americans and Australians either (not that I'm an expert on country of origins.) The most exasperating thing was to see men in shorts and Ts and their wives in some form of fully covering Islamic dress.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:44 am

Slow change? Regional cultural diversity? I don't know the answer but when i lived in Rome ~20 years ago you'd see absolutely no Italian wearing shorts. I now live 50% of my time in Perugia and I see men of all ages wearing them any time of the day, seven days a week. It is, of course, a smaller number than in Crete, but it's absolutely not uncommon.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by beckoa
Dated bump I know...but doing some research on Italy and a possible visit next summer. The quoted post said things were SLOWLY changing, just checking for an update for 2014...and 2015 Those on FT who know me will understand why
I lived in Torino most of last year, which is very hot, but in August I was in Modena and Napoli, which are also hot. I didn't bring shorts. My italian friends kept telling me to buy "bermudas," which is what they call shorts in Italy, even though few of them wore them.

Towards the end of the long, hot summer, I finally bought 2 pair of bermuda's in Naples for about $7 or $8 dollars each, in a popular italian discount store that has branches in all major cities. Those shorts look different from american shorts. They are italian shorts, and no one mistook me for a tourist. I still have them. Here in the USA you can not find similar shorts.

Main message, don't worry about it. I think it is not good to be an obvious tourist, for many reasons. I was back in Torino a few weeks ago, and I didn't bring shorts. I personally don't like wearing shorts in Italy, but I would have bought some if it was too hot. Consider going over there, checking it out, and if you think you want shorts, buy a pair over there.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
We just spent a week in Florence and Tuscany. It seemed that a majority of the tourists were Italian and men in shorts abounded.

I didn't see them yesterday in 2 hill towns outside Palermo (Marineo and Godrano) but they were common in downtown Palermo as they were today.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 2:40 pm

As Perche noted, the shorts that Italians wear look different. Even then, they're worn less frequently than in the US. If in doubt, just go with a lighter fabric and wear pants.

And no jorts. Ever. Not even in the US
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like I may bring some but try to pick up a local pair of bermuda's while over there

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
And no jorts. Ever. Not even in the US
Wow never heard of jorts. That first result on google isn't too flattering either
Old Sep 3, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel
I would suggest that reasonably fit younger people can pull them off. Overweight, older men (like me) can not -- it's a question of aesthetics. How many times have you seen an overweight woman stuffed into tight capri pants with a short t-shirt?
You mean like these folks?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by BigLar
&
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:26 pm

I like #11 with the skullet. Al Iafrate would be proud.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:23 pm

I just came back from Rome and wore shorts all the time except in the Vatican. I suffer from Excessive Sweat Syndrome (Hyperhidrosis) and was absolutely miserable there - especially in the Vatican Museum. I couldn't wait to get out of there, which is a shame given the number of masterpieces in the Museum
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:26 pm

Ok, an italian speaking: there is no problem about wearing shorts as summer in Italy because expecially the south can be really really hot (don't expect to be considered fashonable but I'm sure if you are a turist is the thing you less care about).
BUT, just remind one really important thing, once you enter a church, your shoulders should be covered, and let's say yout shorts should be at least at your knee. It's not fashion it's respect for the religion and for what a church represent. It's the same thing for men and women. Women should always carry a foulard in their purse to cover their shoulder entering the church. Again, it's about respect!!
Then there some other places (like opera theaters) where a better dress code is preferrable but this is up to the good sense of the single person.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 8:34 pm

I'm a 50yo italian from Rome and I wear knee shorts since ages during summer in my free time.
I do not go to churches, so do not know the policy there and will not go to dinner in a classy restaurant in shorts.
Avoid the "restaurants for tourists" as a plague and enjoy your trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.