Can a man wear shorts in Italy?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2010, 10:28 am
Suspended

spent one month in italy, whole family wore nice shorts without issue
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, MR Silver
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
You can go ahead and wear shorts, but don't forget also to wear a hat with a Canadian flag on it; thus people will not think you are American.

Ciao,
FH
I don't feel the need to pretend to be from another country I am actually proud to be an American. I know that's unfashionable with the American left, which hates Americans more than the Europeans they claim to be emulating / concerned about, but I have never encountered an issue with actual Europeans that I have dealt with. I have only encountered warmth and hospitality -- imagine that as an American in shorts!
I spend a lot of time in Rapallo/Genoa and generally wear shorts in warm weather, but wear long pants to restaurants, churches, museums, etc. I have never seen it be an issue.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 6:04 am
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
I get a bit perplexed with these generalisations (e.g., italians dress smartly, they use/don't use shorts).

If you are vacationing, on a not too formal ambient, the weather is fair, by all means go for the comfort and use (non-pathetic shorts/clothes, please!) shorts! Most everyone everywhere does it!

Dress codes have much more to do with what you are going to do than with particular nationalities: you dress smartly if you are going to the office in-between your errands, so people who actually live and work on a city usually don't go out on shorts, unless they have the whole day out.

That a visitor's errands are usually less time pressed, less structured and less prone to be interrupted by work, and that a city dweller usually knows the neighborhood are the factors that limits the capacity of any visitor to mingle in full (some extravagant behavior exclusions may apply . . .).

But isn't it the whole purpose of travel, to know different people, to do different things, to expand our comfort zone, to fend away routine from our lives?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:40 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by TransCon1
I don't feel the need to pretend to be from another country I am actually proud to be an American. I know that's unfashionable with the American left, which hates Americans more than the Europeans they claim to be emulating / concerned about, but I have never encountered an issue with actual Europeans that I have dealt with. I have only encountered warmth and hospitality -- imagine that as an American in shorts!
First of all it is called sarcasm, carpe google. Second, don't spew your left wing propaganda non-sense at me, I fought two wars for this country and will say anything i like.

You can be proud to be a liberal in your shorts and all that; but don't dress like a doof, and run around with American flags all over yourself; Left or right wing, and expect people not to notice.

No one said you wouldn't receive hospitality. I know I see it everyday, but you will look like a tourist from North America or Northern Europe; that is a fact, and frankly when you are gone the people will make fun of you. I have fun with those discussions here all the time. Yes it is harmless for the most part, but in a few risky areas you can make yourself a target by standing out as a "rich tourist".

If you want to blend in dress smartly, if not, dress like a Clark Grizwold or compromise and dress like Rick Steves. Either way you will have fun I am sure. NO one said otherwise.

I spend a lot of time in Rapallo/Genoa and generally wear shorts in warm weather, but wear long pants to restaurants, churches, museums, etc. I have never seen it be an issue.
So basically you do like I noted and wear pants to all the attrations, then change into shorts in your hotel room or the piazza...?

If you do wear shorts at least make them khaki and not 1993 West Virginia creeker jean shorts.

Ciao,
FH

Last edited by FlyingHoustonian; Feb 21, 2011 at 10:52 am
Old Feb 21, 2011, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't feel the need to pretend to be from another country
Do you feel the need to respect local customs and practices in another country?

I am actually proud to be an American.
That's nice. What has that to do with acting like a jerk in another country?

I know that's unfashionable with the American left, which hates Americans more than the Europeans they claim to be emulating / concerned about,
I'd like to say that is the stupidest thing I've ever read on FT, but I'm sure I must have seen something worse.

but I have never encountered an issue with actual Europeans that I have dealt with. I have only encountered warmth and hospitality -- imagine that as an American in shorts!
I find that when you treat people with warmth, courtesy and respect, it is reciprocated. Too bad that thought didn't occur to you when you made this post.

Which is all you needed to say. Your gratuitous political slam was completely unnecessary.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First of all it is called sarcasm, carpe google. Second, don't spew your left wing propaganda non-sense at me, I fought two wars for this country and will say anything i like.

You can be proud to be a liberal in your shorts and all that; but don't dress like a doof, and run around with American flags all over yourself; Left or right wing, and expect people not to notice.
First, I think you've misread the post to which you're replying; the poster appears to dislike the left as much as you do.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:14 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by PTravel
First, I think you've misread the post to which you're replying; the poster appears to dislike the left as much as you do.
No, I saw his point I just don't buy that he is some "right wing" guy. I don't buy the exasperated post; I see it as more left wing trolling-that is what I read, but maybe I am wrong as he missed my tongue-and-cheek comment on wearing the shorts to look Canadian.

As an aside, I don't despise left or right, I despise far left or far right to any extreme but I don't want to head to omni-land. I just stand by the facts that Yes one can wear what they want, but the locals notice. Some people don't mind standing out, some want or need to blend. My years of living, working, and travelling to see both family and friends here in Italia tell me shorts are not a mainstream thing. Some Italian TV skits even make fun of it (just like they do American coffee). Doesn't make it wrong, just the mores of this place. I have worn cowboy boots in New England many times and gotten the same look they give Americans in shorts when I didn't want to "blend".

Sometimes it pays to be "local" other times being a tourist can get you out of a jam. Either way "shorts" are just not mainstream Italian fashion, other than beachwear. That is SLOWLY changing but could take another decade to fully seem "normal" IMO.

Ciao,
FH
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As an aside, I don't despise left or right, I despise far left or far right to any extreme but I don't want to head to omni-land. I just stand by the facts that Yes one can wear what they want, but the locals notice. Some people don't mind standing out, some want or need to blend. My years of living, working, and travelling to see both family and friends here in Italia tell me shorts are not a mainstream thing. Some Italian TV skits even make fun of it (just like they do American coffee). Doesn't make it wrong, just the mores of this place. I have worn cowboy boots in New England many times and gotten the same look they give Americans in shorts when I didn't want to "blend".

Sometimes it pays to be "local" other times being a tourist can get you out of a jam. Either way "shorts" are just not mainstream Italian fashion, other than beachwear. That is SLOWLY changing but could take another decade to fully seem "normal" IMO.

Ciao,
FH
I agree 400% with what you've written.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:08 pm

I think we have jumped right over Omni into bizzaro-land . . .

Well, firstly, thank you for your service to our country. But I have no idea how you surmised that I am a left wing propagandist. I also have no idea how you took from my comments about not feeling the need to impersonate a Canadian to disguise being an American as suggesting that you or anyone else can't say anything they like . . . (?) If I can't detect sarcasm from your writing, than Google or anything else is going to be no help. I am really lost on that one.

Well I could be proud to be a liberal is I was one, I guess . . . .and I take from this that "running around" with Canadian flags = good, running around with American flags = bad. Gottcha.

If you want to blend in dress smartly, if not, dress like a Clark Grizwold or compromise and dress like Rick Steves. Either way you will have fun I am sure. NO one said otherwise.
I wasn't disputing this. I was reacting to your comment about wearing a hat with a Canadian flag

So basically you do like I noted and wear pants to all the attrations, then change into shorts in your hotel room or the piazza...?
Hotel room, yes. Apartment, yes, Piazza, no.

If you do wear shorts at least make them khaki and not 1993 West Virginia creeker jean shorts.
I have no idea what "1993 West Virginia creeker jean shorts" are, so I guess I don't wear them. Mine are khaki.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:27 pm

[QUOTE=PTravel;15906944]Do you feel the need to respect local customs and practices in another country?[QUOTE]

Yes, I do. Thanks for asking. But that wasn't the issue I was addressing. I was addressing the suggestion that one should not be seen as American and that one should wear a Canadian flag on one's hat to disguise oneself. I think any thinking person would have respect for local customs.

That's nice. What has that to do with acting like a jerk in another country?
It has nothing to do with acting like a jerk in another country. It has to do with the discussion at hand about being American and wearing a Canadian flag on oneself.

I'd like to say that is the stupidest thing I've ever read on FT, but I'm sure I must have seen something worse.
I don't think this comment is the dumbest thing I have ever read on FT, but i have to say it is certainly up there with the most pointless.

I find that when you treat people with warmth, courtesy and respect, it is reciprocated. Too bad that thought didn't occur to you when you made this post.
Agreed, Yes, and my posting being in vibrant contrast to your post which doesn't offer any opinion other than trashing mine. . . . .

Your gratuitous political slam was completely unnecessary.[/
In other words, you'd prefer that my politics were more like yours -- or did I miss your concerned postings all over FT where left leaning politics are the accepted norm?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I do. Thanks for asking. But that wasn't the issue I was addressing. I was addressing the suggestion that one should not be seen as American and that one should wear a Canadian flag on one's hat to disguise oneself. I think any thinking person would have respect for local customs.
I didn't see that suggestion as a serious one.

In other words, you'd prefer that my politics were more like yours -- or did I miss your concerned postings all over FT where left leaning politics are the accepted norm?
Nope, in other words I'd prefer you leave your politics out of threads like this which has absolutely nothing to do left or right. This thread is about wearing shorts in Italy, not your political beliefs.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 9:05 pm

This thread is about wearing shorts in Italy, not your political beliefs.
Yes, but the posting that I was replying to (once again, this apparently being a tough concept on this thread) is about wearing a Canadian flag on your hat to disguise being an American. . . . . which is purely political.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 1:25 am

Programs: Too Many to Count
Whatever you wear, please avoid dopey t-shirts -- you know the ones I mean -- with legends like, "I'm with stupid," etc.
What? That's my go-to shirt, man
Old Feb 23, 2011, 3:09 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
is about wearing a Canadian flag on your hat to disguise being an American. . . . . which is purely political.
To confused readers from all over the world: Note that this definition of political is not generally valid in all countries. Neither is labelling sexual preferences or religious issues as political questions.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 3:20 am

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
ITs NOT A CHURCH

I too was unsure so i asked our host Gianpiero at the Agritourism plc we visit regularly,we had made a lunch reservation Gianfranco Vissani s yeap the Vissani, my wife in Thai silks and I a designer (chada) Bali summer shirt and SHORTS " its not a church our host sugested " so we were driven to the private lake side restaurant, greeted by 3 orange jacketed waiters who all shook their heads disaprovingly but a word to the kitchen and what could have been made to measure Armani pants were lent to me, lunch enjoyed - noted that the family from Milano whoes teenage son had ripped jeans had no hassles lesson learnt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.