Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can a man wear shorts in Italy?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2010, 12:41 am

Programs: Asia Miles
Cool

It's unusually cold in Milan right now, and I hope that temperatures will stay like this through out the summer. Generally September is not hot as we're heading towards autumn. Ironically yesterday i went to watch the World cup and i was wearing shorts, along with me there we're for sure at least 50% of the people wearing shorts as well. Now given the fact that I'm just 20 years old and was watching the World Cup in my university I guess that the times are changing. I don't see anything wrong wearing shorts. And of course appropriate attire in churches and posh restaurant is recommended but no one will stop you from entering them. Anyway based on your itinerary, you'll mostly be glad to wear shorts in Lago Maggiore and Verona or even venice. And pair them with nice loafers and a shirt.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 4:07 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Talking

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
You can go ahead and wear shorts, but don't forget also to wear a hat with a Canadian flag on it; thus people will not think you are American.

Ciao,
FH
*LOL*
Old Jun 25, 2010, 4:09 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Cool

Originally Posted by blumage
It's unusually cold in Milan right now, and I hope that temperatures will stay like this through out the summer.
Yes, yesterday only 29° C.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 8:36 am
B1

In the heat of the day, shorts are a necessity for comfort if you are out walking. I noticed most people wear socks that don't stick out above a running shoe or have bare feet with sandals. Showing your socks seems to be the sign of someone from an ancient decade. In the evening, dinner and after, long pants are much more the rule. The only dress codes I saw were signs posted in churches requiring women to cover their shoulders (there was a rent-a-shawl concession in St. Mark's - and that was the only place where it was enforced).
Old Jun 26, 2010, 8:52 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
I lived in Italy for six years and have returned many times. Contrary to TravellinHusker's comments, I never experienced a problem wearing shorts and the only time I would not wear them was when going to church at the Vatican which is different from touring the Vatican or museums. Very few restaurants have a dress code requiring trousers or suit. I've seen shorts downstairs and in the rooftop dining room at Harry's bar in Venice. Enjoy your trip and travel safe.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:43 am

You can go ahead and wear shorts, but don't forget also to wear a hat with a Canadian flag on it; thus people will not think you are American.

Ciao,
FH
Someone already suggested convertible pants which just about screams Canadian, in which case any maple leaf insignia would be redundant.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 6:02 am

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
Certainly no expert here but the last time I was in Rome--about a year ago--and it was hot, we noticed a lot of Italian language speakers wearing shorts. Wished we had brought ours In Spain on the same trip shorts were--uh--shorter.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 4:17 am

depends

Italian men usually don't wear shorts in the city, the do it when are at the beach. In september is not so hot in italy so you should have both long and short.
If you are 65 you don't have to care if is ok or not to wear shorts, people will respect you anyway.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The real problem is that 98% of those wearing shorts have no real business doing so, from an aesthetic perspective (and believe me, I'm fully aware that I rank in that 98%).....
Old Jul 8, 2010, 9:16 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
There is nothing I can do to not look like a tourist when in Italy - not many brown haired - 6'6" Italians with a camera running around.
I wear what makes me comfortable - on dozens of trips overseas, I've never felt out of place.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:58 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Tomphot
There is nothing I can do to not look like a tourist when in Italy - not many brown haired - 6'6" Italians with a camera running around.
I wear what makes me comfortable - on dozens of trips overseas, I've never felt out of place.
That is because you were hanging around other tourist. You all looked out of place as a group. And that is ok.

Ciao,
FH
Old Jul 8, 2010, 12:13 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
That is because you were hanging around other tourist. You all looked out of place as a group. And that is ok.

Ciao,
FH
I've never taken any group tours and try to not hang around the big groups, so I guess I really do look out of place.

So - do Italian and French tourists coming to America go shopping for cargo shorts and baseball hats so they will fit in?
Old Jul 10, 2010, 9:12 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
If you really want shorts, buy a pair of convertible pants that allow you to unzip the lower part of the pant leg.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's nothing wrong with looking like a tourist. Only worry about looking like a rude tourist. Shorts in Europe, Italy included, are far less common than in the U.S. I would suggest that reasonably fit younger people can pull them off. Overweight, older men (like me) can not -- it's a question of aesthetics. How many times have you seen an overweight woman stuffed into tight capri pants with a short t-shirt? I shudder when I think of it, whereas a younger, reasonably trim woman in the same outfit will look quite appealing.

Whatever you wear, please avoid dopey t-shirts -- you know the ones I mean -- with legends like, "I'm with stupid," etc.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:40 am

Sure! You are afree man & there are no laws against it. Have FUN ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.