Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare
Reload this Page >

Schedule changes - rerouting flexibility

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2023, 8:51 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold

I've not got a lot of experience with ITA yet, so asking here to get an idea of the possibilities.

We're booked to fly short haul from FLR via FCO, and just received a schedule change for the flight from FCO to the final destination. The time change isn't huge (35 min), however it's a bit of a pity as it makes our layover at FCO longer (and arrival obviously over half an hour later).

The originally booked flights depart very early from FLR (6:35AM) but there are no better options for that day. A day earlier, there is a much better option departing at 11:10AM though. How would you estimate my chances of being able to change to these flights a day earlier for free? We're on a a cheap Business fare and the flight a day earlier that I'd like to change to is substantially more expensive than what I originally paid.

Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2023, 8:12 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat./Ambassador; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Kempinski Platinum
I had a 20-minute time change, and ITA laughed off my request to take an earlier connecting flight. I'm scheduled to fly to JFK on DL and then AZ across the ocean. I originally had two hours to make the connection, running from T4 to T1. I know 20 minutes doesn't sound like much, but it's enough to make me pretty uncomfortable on a family trip and I'd rather have a few extra hours to kill. If we miss the ITA flight, I'm not even sure what our rights are (barring a delay over 30 minutes) given the official minimum connection time apparently is 1:15. The best case looks like spending the night in New York given ITA isn't going to put us on the EK 380 later that night.

Last edited by HLS2002; Mar 25, 2023 at 8:13 pm Reason: clarification
Old Mar 26, 2023, 12:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by HLS2002
I had a 20-minute time change, and ITA laughed off my request to take an earlier connecting flight. I'm scheduled to fly to JFK on DL and then AZ across the ocean. I originally had two hours to make the connection, running from T4 to T1. I know 20 minutes doesn't sound like much, but it's enough to make me pretty uncomfortable on a family trip and I'd rather have a few extra hours to kill. If we miss the ITA flight, I'm not even sure what our rights are (barring a delay over 30 minutes) given the official minimum connection time apparently is 1:15. The best case looks like spending the night in New York given ITA isn't going to put us on the EK 380 later that night.
Normally, if the connecting time is still inside the minimum permitted the airline will not change a flight for free with a small time change like 20 minutes.
If you have a single ticket I would not worry, if you arrive late and lose your connection, the operating airline will rebook you to the next available service.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 10:47 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat./Ambassador; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Kempinski Platinum
Originally Posted by Lefly
If you have a single ticket I would not worry, if you arrive late and lose your connection, the operating airline will rebook you to the next available service.
Thank you, Lefly. It is a single ticket, though I'm concerned about missing the connection even if the inbound flight is on time. If AirTrain JFK is running properly and there's not too much of a wait for the TSA security checkpoint, it should be fine.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by HLS2002
It is a single ticket, though I'm concerned about missing the connection even if the inbound flight is on time.
You still have the option of making a voluntary change to the ticket to move to an earlier flight, which would involve payment of the change fee plus any increase in fare. Only you can decide if that cost is worth the extra peace of mind.

Though depending on how far in the future this ticket is booked for, you may find there are further changes to come - one of which may end up allowing you to rebook for free anyway. In my limited experience of Delta domestic flights, they can change quite a bit between the time you book and the time you actually fly.

Good luck!
Old Apr 12, 2023, 5:45 am

It turns out I made the connection. My concerns weren't unwarranted, and it would've been a really close call without PreCheck to bypass some backup at JFK. My involuntarily checked bags didn't fare as well. They made it to MXP a few days later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.