Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare
Reload this Page >

In-flight service, short-haul Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2021, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ITA Executive

Flew LIN-LHR on Tuesday then LHR-LIN last night. Wanted to report on the in-flight service in Business.

Outbound flight departed at 8.25am. As I live just a 10 minute scooter ride from Linate I can cut morning departures fine, and didn't have time to investigate whether or not ITA have signed any lounge-access agreements at LIN. (Though my experience on Friday at Heathrow would suggest not).

On the flight (8 pax in Business, 40% load factor) I was served this breakfast:

Return flight departed Heathrow at 6.40pm. I discovered that there was no agreement for lounge access even for Business passengers at LHR T2 [have already expressed my irritation at this on another thread]. This was a Friday evening flight, and the 20 person Business cabin was fully occupied.

A tray of drinks was offered before take off, but the choice was between water or orange juice. After a tiring day, I would have appreciated a prosecco option, but never mind.

I was served this dinner:

I opted for some red wine (didn't see the label), and was offered a second glass.

Rounded off my dinner with coffee and (generous serving of) grappa (I could have opted for limoncello as an alternative):

I've only flown a dozen times since the start of the pandemic (twice on Iberia, the rest on AZ, old and new). Towards the end of Alitalia's life, I was highly unimpressed by how they removed all in-flight service in Economy ["per ridurre i contatti"....give me a break!] and reduced service in Business to the bare minimum, plus closed all their lounges. The in-flight service I experienced this week on ITA was back to the pre-pandemic Alitalia norm (with Alitalia-branding, as you can see in the photos), so nothing to complain about. I will probably fly to London a couple more times before the end of the year, most likely in Economy (unless I can find a decent Business tariff again....we'll see), so I'll look forward to seeing what this is like. (As long as it's more than nothing, I will be happy).

In terms of the pre-boarding experience, unfortunately ITA is still following the late-stage Alitalia playbook. No lounge access at LHR, and I assume not at LIN either. [Does anyone know the situation at FCO?] No priority boarding, either for Business or status passengers. No fast track for status passengers. I guess I can cut them some slack for now, but I do sincerely hope that by January, when Volare is fully up and running (and hopefully we're issued with membership numbers, and electronic or plastic cards allowing us to demonstrate our status), that they will take steps to make having status worthwhile (fast track, lounge access, priority boarding).

At least both flights were on time! (Though on-time or early arrivals seem to be one of the few positives of the pandemic...)
scoonee, Xandrios and CIAO LAX like this.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 5:11 am

Programs: LH FTL, FB Gold
The Alitalia lounge in FCO is closed, or at least was closed two weeks ago. I don't think it changed since then.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 8:29 am

Programs: DL DM; AFKL FBE; ITA Exec
Have had a few trips in J on the new ITA: FCO-CDG, -LHR, -BRU and return. All had something quite similar to the above and comparable to what competitors offer on similar routes during Covid times. (Sorry, I never think to make photos of these.) ITA seem to be sticking with ex-AZ's approach, although I've found service to be better. All inter-Italian flights are solo economy, although if you're on a J ticket (I do TRS-FCO & return somewhat regularly) you will get priority seating and such.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:16 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by Mr.Potato
The Alitalia lounge in FCO is closed, or at least was closed two weeks ago. I don't think it changed since then.
Sent a question to ITA around the FCO lounge access for J passengers. A few days later they called me, not sure why they didnt just email me back, and told me that "due to COVID blah blah blah all lounges are closed". When I challenged the agent by saying some lounges are indeed open at FCO, but perhaps ITA doesnt want to pay for them she responded "no, they are closed". I told her at least 3 lounges (two Primo Visto and Plaza) are open and ITA just doesnt want to pay for access, she just curtly said "Yes" and that was the end of the conversation. I am quite certain this is the first and the last time I will be flying that new miracle of an airline. I am actually apprehensive to check my bag with them on a direct flight to LHR as I am not confident in their ability to handle it properly and deliver it on the same flight I am on. This airline already breeds anxiety and discomfort.
hugolover likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 4:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold for life
Any word on service in long-haul business? Are they flying any routes yet? Booked FCO-JFK for June 2022 and hard to find any info
Old Dec 10, 2021, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: ITA Executive
Originally Posted by asnovici
Sent a question to ITA around the FCO lounge access for J passengers. A few days later they called me, not sure why they didnt just email me back, and told me that "due to COVID blah blah blah all lounges are closed". When I challenged the agent by saying some lounges are indeed open at FCO, but perhaps ITA doesnt want to pay for them she responded "no, they are closed". I told her at least 3 lounges (two Primo Visto and Plaza) are open and ITA just doesnt want to pay for access, she just curtly said "Yes" and that was the end of the conversation.
I wrote to them via Facebook 5 days ago about this (lack of lounges for J pax). No reply. Really very poor.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 6:11 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Business meals choices

Does anyone know if all lunch meals on short haul contain meat? Should I order vegetarian or is there a pasta choice normally that’s vegetarian?
Old Dec 27, 2021, 4:33 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion& 2 Million Miler; Marriott Titanium Lifetime
sounds JUST like AZ!!
Old Dec 27, 2021, 4:33 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion& 2 Million Miler; Marriott Titanium Lifetime
i would!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.