Search

IC Toronto Center (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2006, 2:00 am
yep

Programs: PC Plat RA, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Hi choptliva & J_rob129

thank you very much for your comments and suggestions ^
I just bought the Toronto TOP10 guide which even lists this property (in the biz category )...

So I am looking forward to my first Canadian visit in only 5 days (arriving in Vancouver / Four Seasons hotel). As this will be the "Adventure of our lifetime (tm )" with 42 days in Canada/USA we will be overwhelmed by nature and nice 5-star properties...

yep
Old Jun 2, 2006, 10:05 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Question Next to Rogers Center

I am heading to Toronto to see my beloved Red Sox play the Jays and need to be close to the Rogers center. Am I right in that this is right next door, walking distance?

If so it'd be great as there are rooms available for point redemption and I'll still have my RA status then, before it expires....mini-bar watch out!

This hotel okay on reward nights for RAs?
Old Jun 2, 2006, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Yes, there is an enclosed walkway to "ROGERS Centre" or the SKYDOME as we stallwarts still call it. It runs through and behind the Convention Centre. (There is a hotel attached directly to the stadium at the Spadina end of the block from the IC.)

BTW, since Boston just played here earlier this past week, I assume you'll be coming for the September games. Let me know if you'd like to meet up with some local FTers...a few of us are planning to go to the Friday night game if we can get enough tickets in the same section.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 3:01 pm
EdV

Originally Posted by Shareholder
BTW, since Boston just played here earlier this past week, I assume you'll be coming for the September games. Let me know if you'd like to meet up with some local FTers...a few of us are planning to go to the Friday night game if we can get enough tickets in the same section.
Yep, we'll be heading up for the September games of course. I'll drop you a PM when I get plans finalized. ^

Okay, so I've got a reward reservation question:

I am going to use poins for my 2 night stay. I have 4 adults in my party. But when I put 4 adults in the search awards nights are not available. When I drop it back down to 2 I can see free nights.

Should I make the reservation now selecting the 2 DOUBLE BEDS DELUXE option now? To do this I'd have to search with just 2 adults indicated. That's okay but should I go ahead and indicate in the comments section that I'll be having 4 of us staying in the room together? As an RA do you think that they'll give me a suite upgrade with 2 beds (or 1 +sofa bed) with no problem? I'd just hate to be shocked when I get there because I reserved under 2 adults but indicated and show up with 4.

So what should I put in the comments section?
Old Jul 14, 2006, 1:56 am

Programs: IHG Ambassador & Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Originally Posted by mhorst
This hotel is steps from Union Station and a short subway ride to the main part of downtown. It has recently been renovated to the tune of 30 million dollars and certainly looks like it has.

I booked a Club Intercontinental King room for the New Years Eve weekend and was pleasantly surprised with an upgrade to a suite facing the pool and spa area. The suite had a complimentary fruit basket with 2 bottles of perrier with a card personally signed by the General Manager of the property. Also got a package from the front desk with a letter listing all the benefits as an Ambassador member such as a free in room movie and 4pm checkout. Included in this package was a letter apologizing that the club floor lounge was closed during the holidays but hoping that the enclosed coupons for free breakfast buffet each day in the main dinning room would be sufficient. Also enclosed were free afternoon snacks in the lounge ( coffee and petite fours) and evening hors d'oeuvres in the lounge.

The only complaint about the coupons were that staff in the dining room were not quite sure what they were for. They were all very pleasant and did not hestitate to serve us what was requested and sorted the bill out afterwards.

The staff in the spa and pool area were all very courteous. The afternoon poolside sitting in the whirlpool was very relaxing while looking outside and seeing the snow and wind blowing around the property.

In all a very pleasant weekend with staff doing everything in their power to make the stay memorable.

I reccommend this property to anyone staying in the Toronto area.
Thanks for your report - my wife and I are staying at this hotel in December - I booked a King deluxe and have been told by the hotel that we will be upgraded to a Junior suite - "hockeyinsider" onanother thread for the same hotel was upgraded and complimentary about the junior suite - can anyone help me with details of the location of the better suites? - I have asked the hotel for a room on a high floor with views of CNN tower and Lake Ontario. I am a Plat Amb - reading this review it appears as though you get Club Lounge access if you have a junior suite - Is this correct

As a new member to this forum I would like to thank everyone (worthy mention to Edv and Shareholder) for the posts = it really does help you when you are trying to pick a hotel.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 9:33 am
EdV

Originally Posted by melvin the mole
As a new member to this forum I would like to thank everyone (worthy mention to Edv and Shareholder) for the posts = it really does help you when you are trying to pick a hotel.
well Melvin, thank you for the compliments. I try my best to share as much as I can as I certainly take a lot from FT (and this thread in particular)!

Okay, so I too have a reservation at this hotel in September. I just phoned them to "clean up" my reservation (aka, process the upgrade). Anyhow, I am on points and had booked a Deluxe Room, 2 Dble beds as there are 4 adults in my party.

Speaking to the manager he upgraded me into a 1 Bedroom King Suite. This has a separate bedroom and a pullout couch for my leeching friends. Interesting though, Club access is not included. When I asked he said he was basically giving me a double upgd. He gave me a choice of a Double bedded Jr. Suite with Club access or the King suite I have with club access for $90/day. (so yes you are right Melvin) Given the minibar is free, I went with the latter.

Anyone else heard of this here? Also, he quoted airport chauffer service at $51.46 one way.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Er, the tower is called The CN Tower, not CNN. Has no connection to the news network, but rather was named after CN Rail, one of Canada's two major railways, who at the time it was built co-owned it as it is a major telecommunications tower and CN also operated a national microwave network of which the tower was a link.

Also, the Limo is not much more expensive than taking one from the rank. I live about a mile further east and pay $47 before tip. Limos are flat-rated based on where you're going, so I would expect the city centre zone, where the hotel is located, would probably be $45 before tip. So the mark-up is about $5. Sometimes getting a limo from the rank is a bit confusing and slow, so having one waiting might be your best bet. There is also a half-hourly Airport Express bus service that will drop you off and pick you up at the hotel's front door. I believe it is still $26.75 return, or $15.50 one way per person (all C$s). Depending upon which terminal you are arriving at, you will find it on the lowest level of the terminal. In T1, it is more obscure, but at T2 and T3, the signs and kiosk are pretty easy to find. Both bus and limos take all major credit cards, though you should buy your ticket from the kiosk agent and not on the bus itself, if you opt for that mode of travel.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:07 am
EdV

Great tips on limos

Thanks for the excellent info on the limo / taxi service to the hotel Shareholder. I would certainly say that the $5 markup is certainly worth it to have a limo waiting for us. BTW, when you say rank do you mean the taxis waiting in line with the - rank and file? Am I right here?

BTW, don't forget to let me know later this summer when you've shored up your plans for that weekend.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 1:39 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador & Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Ops - sorry shareholder - typing error re CN Tower.

EDV - I have booked airport collection - for that sum you will be given instructions on where to go to be collected once they know your flight details - they wanted an extra $50n to have someone waiting inside the terminal with a sign with my name on. Shareholder is right re the bus, but the collection service will be cheaper if there is four of you.

I would be grateful if you would post any problems after your stay.

Thanks once again for what you do.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:17 am
EdV

Question Upgd procesed, now 2 reservations?

I am responding to my own previous post.

Since that post I have spoken to the hotel directly and they took care of my RA upgd. They bookedme into a 1 King bed, 2 Rm suite. The agent described an entrance Parlor and living room with a pullout so all is good.

The odd part I'm reporting here is that I now have 2 Reservations on my PC account for this stay! Again I called the hotel and the agent told me that it was a 2 room suite and that they made a separate reservation for each room: "One for the Parlor and one for the Bedroom".

Anyone else ever seen this before?
Old Jul 23, 2006, 6:26 am
yep

Originally Posted by EdV
I am responding to my own previous post.

Since that post I have spoken to the hotel directly and they took care of my RA upgd. They bookedme into a 1 King bed, 2 Rm suite. The agent described an entrance Parlor and living room with a pullout so all is good.

The odd part I'm reporting here is that I now have 2 Reservations on my PC account for this stay! Again I called the hotel and the agent told me that it was a 2 room suite and that they made a separate reservation for each room: "One for the Parlor and one for the Bedroom".

Anyone else ever seen this before?
absolutely not. But both rooms have their own entrances and the rooms are only connected by a sliding door... 2 doors -> 2 reservations
This makes no sense.

yep
Old Jul 23, 2006, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Odd way of handling the booking...though I guess in their system this is the only way they can block off the two adjoining rooms to ensure one is not booked by someone else. I had an upgrade to a Club level two room suite at the CP in Ottawa earlier this summer and though it did not appear on my res listing as two separate bookings, the rooms did have independent numbers as each room could have been a separately sold room. The "living room" area did have a fold out sofabed, dining table, TV and chairs so could be used as a semi-normal room. The adjoining "bedroom" had its own entry and was like a normal hotel room.

I suppose this is how this property blocks off this type of "suite" as opposed to some of its other suites that are multi-room and self-contained with a single entrance. I recall decades ago when this was a CN hotel, that I did get a two-level suite on their then-Gold elite floor.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 7:44 am
EdV

Originally Posted by Shareholder
I suppose this is how this property blocks off this type of "suite" as opposed to some of its other suites that are multi-room and self-contained with a single entrance. I recall decades ago when this was a CN hotel, that I did get a two-level suite on their then-Gold elite floor.
That's what I'm figuring, that it is just their odd way of taking care of the upgrade and suite so I'm okay with it and not worried. :-: I'd be delighted if I got a 2 level suite or that I'm getting 2 rooms that warrant 2 entances as there are 4 of us (all adults).

@:-) Hmm, I wonder if there will be 2 mini bars that we can "sample"
Old Jul 24, 2006, 9:01 am
yep

Originally Posted by EdV
@:-) Hmm, I wonder if there will be 2 mini bars that we can "sample"
apologies I had exactly that suite type a month ago and had only one minibar in the bedroom. The second room with the pullout sofa was without a minibar (but an identical bath ).

yep
Old Jul 24, 2006, 9:21 am
EdV

Originally Posted by yep
apologies I had exactly that suite type a month ago and had only one minibar in the bedroom. The second room with the pullout sofa was without a minibar (but an identical bath ).

yep
Thanks for the info. At least there is always hope then! I will of course report back post trip to inform how we made out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.