Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: Extension of Annual Free Night from IHG Rewards Club Visa / Mastercard

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2020, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
12/17/21 - separate thread discussing the already-extended certificates expiring 12/31/2021: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/2054777-will-ihg-extend-expiration-certificates-set-expire-12-31-21-a-6.html
12/16 Updated today: https://thepointsguy.com/news/ihg-free-night-update/
12/15 People are seeing a new certificate posted with expiration of 8/31/2021
12/8 Doctor of Credit: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor-ihg-to-extend-free-night-certificates-until-august-2021/
12/8 The Points Guy: https://thepointsguy.com/news/ihg-free-night-update
12/3 Loyalty Lobby: https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/12/03/opinion-ihg-is-really-shortsighted-for-not-extending-expiring-certificates
11/18 Loyalty Lobby: https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/11/18/...g-certificates

IHG Executive Contact Information for those who want to escalate:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/intercontinental-hotels/

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: Extension of Annual Free Night from IHG Rewards Club Visa / Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2020, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
The Anniversary Night T&C doesn't mention anything about booking for others. The general T&C allows for third-party beneficiaries for reward nights, and you only need to call IHG customer care if you are booking in Greater China (section 51). For other places, you should be able to add your friend/relative's name as additional guest when making the reservation.
The guest just needs to show local ID when checking in then ? They wouldn't have the credit card (which would be mine).

PS: I just see now that it says this in the Rate Description when I try to book:

'Anniversary Night may not be transferred, extended beyond the expiration date, redeemed for cash, or re-credited for points. '

But I presume that's not the same as booking for someone else or the T&C override this Rate Description ?

Last edited by Prancer; Dec 28, 2020 at 8:38 am
Old Dec 28, 2020, 4:29 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
What happens if we book and then be to cancel a reservation booked with the free bought certificate?
We get back the free night certificate or ??
Old Dec 29, 2020, 9:03 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
What happens if we book and then be to cancel a reservation booked with the free bought certificate?
We get back the free night certificate or ??
My understanding is yes, you get the cert back, but with the same expiration date as if you had never used it.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
The Anniversary Night T&C doesn't mention anything about booking for others. The general T&C allows for third-party beneficiaries for reward nights, and you only need to call IHG customer care if you are booking in Greater China (section 51). For other places, you should be able to add your friend/relative's name as additional guest when making the reservation.
Originally Posted by Prancer
The guest just needs to show local ID when checking in then ? They wouldn't have the credit card (which would be mine).

PS: I just see now that it says this in the Rate Description when I try to book:

'Anniversary Night may not be transferred, extended beyond the expiration date, redeemed for cash, or re-credited for points. '

But I presume that's not the same as booking for someone else or the T&C override this Rate Description ?
I would not risk the Annual FN Cert which indeed is not transferrable, i.e. the guest whose account earns the FN MUST also stay too.
Point reservation can be booked for others.
The 2 are of different natures, and governed by different T&Cs.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Have anyone stayed with the 12/31/2020 free night and found the new one is still available?
Old Dec 29, 2020, 9:21 pm
YUL

Programs: SPG Gold / IHG Spire / Emerald Executive Elite
Originally Posted by milemission
Have anyone stayed with the 12/31/2020 free night and found the new one is still available?
I did, and the new free certificate is still available. (See my post #389 above)
Old Dec 29, 2020, 10:30 pm

last call and can't use. Anyway to monetize or extend the 12/31 stay
Old Dec 29, 2020, 10:53 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
30th of Dec and that supposed "announcement" from IHG hasn't happened, what a surprise .

Nice that CC holders got some reprieve, but it would be nice if normal Ambassador members who paid 200$ could get an extension of the existing certs as well or a new weekend night certificate with future date of at least 31 Aug 2021 issued for lapsed or soon to be lapsing ones.

So far this Ambassador group has been left hanging high and dry by IHG (with the exception of RAs). Makes me feel so special. YMMV.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by demue
30th of Dec and that supposed "announcement" from IHG hasn't happened, what a surprise .

Nice that CC holders got some reprieve, but it would be nice if normal Ambassador members who paid 200$ could get an extension of the existing certs as well or a new weekend night certificate with future date of at least 31 Aug 2021 issued for lapsed or soon to be lapsing ones.

So far this Ambassador group has been left hanging high and dry by IHG (with the exception of RAs). Makes me feel so special. YMMV.
i think Chase paid for the extension here somehow..
Old Dec 30, 2020, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by vickh
last call and can't use. Anyway to monetize or extend the 12/31 stay
So you are trying to monetize or extend the 12/31 voucher which essentially got extended by IHG already by giving you a new one good till August 2021? And here I thought I had seen just about everything possible on FT but this one takes the cake.
oxfordjames and ARR72 like this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by christianj
So you are trying to monetize or extend the 12/31 voucher which essentially got extended by IHG already by giving you a new one good till August 2021? And here I thought I had seen just about everything possible on FT but this one takes the cake.
I don't want it wasted even it it's a freebie, by your logic all the people who used the 12/31 stay and are also using the extension one are "taking the cake" too.

IHG should have just extended the date, not added another

Last edited by vickh; Dec 30, 2020 at 11:21 am
Old Aug 4, 2021, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, are people sitting on the already-extended certificates issued in 2019 and extended to 8/31/2021 hoping for another extension? With COVID going bad again, I am going to cancel a trip to use the 8/31 certificate...

Thanks.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 1:54 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Plat, IHG Diamond
I have the replacement voucher from Creation (issued in December IIRC), I think that the original expiry was August 2021, and it now has an expiry of December 2021.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by username
Well, are people sitting on the already-extended certificates issued in 2019 and extended to 8/31/2021 hoping for another extension? With COVID going bad again, I am going to cancel a trip to use the 8/31 certificate...

Thanks.
Have you checked your account? I had one that expired 8/31/2021 and it was automatically extended to 12/31/2021 earlier this year.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ikaz
I have the replacement voucher from Creation (issued in December IIRC), I think that the original expiry was August 2021, and it now has an expiry of December 2021.
Originally Posted by SusanDK
Have you checked your account? I had one that expired 8/31/2021 and it was automatically extended to 12/31/2021 earlier this year.
Cool. I just cancelled the reservation and the certificate showed back up for 12/31/2021. Hopefully we get lucky in the US and COVID is under control by then...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.