Wiki Posts
Search

Points earning in Euros?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2018, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Points earning in Euros?

I've had multiple stays at a particular property in Spain over the past 6 months and just noticed that I have been earning 10 points per euro instead of per converted dollar. Has the policy changed, or am I being short-changed by this hotel?
Old Feb 10, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Double check VAT. After VAT is deducted, it might be 10 points per dollar. I'm not aware of any policy change.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by srodr
I've had multiple stays at a particular property in Spain over the past 6 months and just noticed that I have been earning 10 points per euro instead of per converted dollar. Has the policy changed, or am I being short-changed by this hotel?
Spanish rates are inclusive of VAT
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:13 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Spanish rates are inclusive of VAT
But IHG points earning is exclusive of taxes.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Taxes would explain it
Looking at a hotel in Madrid for example, rate includes 10% VAT
Exchange rate for EUR-USD according to xe.com is 1.226

EUR1.00 inc VAT = EUR0.91 exclusivg of tax
EUR0.91 = $1.12

so should be earning about 11 points per Euro

I suspect that the exchange rate used by IHG isnt quite as good as xe is listing so would be slightly lower
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond
IHG definitely is having a problem converting currencies to Qualified Spending, maybe not with EUR but with several other currencies
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:29 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
so should be earning about 11 points per Euro

I suspect that the exchange rate used by IHG isnt quite as good as xe is listing so would be slightly lower

The IHG system has a habit of taking tax off the ex tax amount, I see this at most hotels I stay at, cannot be bothered chasing up such a fundamental error for the return involved.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by :D!
But IHG points earning is exclusive of taxes.
this, my dear, is the reason for his impression that he gets not enough points. The rate he sees contains a certain tax portion which does not earn points.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:54 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer

this, my dear, is the reason for his impression that he gets not enough points. The rate he sees contains a certain tax portion which does not earn points.
Partly wrong. The IHG website clearly shows the qualified amount with taxes incorrectly removed (should be 10% VAT I believe, but some other random amount is removed instead), converts from EUR to USD, and then only gives 10 points per EUR not USD. The whole thing is a mess.

Last edited by The Mileage Millionaire; Aug 29, 2018 at 8:24 am
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire
Partly wrong. The IHG website clearly shows the qualified amount with taxes incorrectly removed (should be 10% VAT I believe, but some other random amount is removed instead), converts from EUR to USD, and then only gives 10 points per EUR not USD. The whole thing is a mess.
Well, i have about 50 stays per year in Europe and 95% percent of these post correctly if you are considering VAT
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire
I just went through this with a bunch of stays. Points were posted per Pound and per Euro for all stays for the total qualified spending (which did not include VAT.) They also hadn't given points for on-property spend.

Took a 30 min phone call, but IHG got it straightened out and added adjusted credits. Considering it was about a 35k point difference, it was worth the time to chase in this instance.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:57 am

Sample of maily European ICs.

Most stays posted correctly. In some cases I even got the points on the VAT part.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond
I just checked reviewed how IHG stays in EUR countries posted, and every single stay posted incorrectly.
The online bill for example states that the total qualified spending was: EUR 215.34 (USD $249.32), but the basepoints are 2,154. I assume that what is listed as total qualified spending, is actually qualifying, without additionally having to deduct VAT. Even assuming the VAT discrepancy, it would still be incorrect, so i assume it simply takes the EUR value to incorrectly calculate basepoints.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: IHG Diamond / RA / IC | LH FTL + United Gold
Originally Posted by r0me0
I just checked reviewed how IHG stays in EUR countries posted, and every single stay posted incorrectly.
The online bill for example states that the total qualified spending was: EUR 215.34 (USD $249.32), but the basepoints are 2,154. I assume that what is listed as total qualified spending, is actually qualifying, without additionally having to deduct VAT. Even assuming the VAT discrepancy, it would still be incorrect, so i assume it simply takes the EUR value to incorrectly calculate basepoints.
The online display is showing this in a wrong way. I experienced that the first value that shows "EUR" is actually the USD value (excl. taxes) and correctly used as a basis for points. So the calculation is correct but displayed completely wrong.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sharps1337
The online display is showing this in a wrong way. I experienced that the first value that shows "EUR" is actually the USD value (excl. taxes) and correctly used as a basis for points. So the calculation is correct but displayed completely wrong.
Oh ok that would make sense, i didn't verify the actual physical bills, i just went off the online display

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.