Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extending Diamond status by purchasing Ambassador?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by kerrigjl
My virtual membership card in the IHG app lists Spire Exp: Jan 31, 2019, actually, so not quite 12/31/19 (but better than 12/31/17 as it reflected previously!)
My virtual card has Jun 30th 2018 on it which is my AMB expiry date. Online says Dec 31st 2018 which is correct for Spire as I reached the 75k a while back.

Originally Posted by adobbing
Just tried the website at https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental.../en/ambassador

It tells me that;

“Your membership is due for renewal on Feb-28-2018. You can continue to enjoy all the benefits of InterContinental® Ambassador by renewing at our $150.00 USD annual rate, or you can renew today for 24,000 IHG® Rewards Club points”

When I click on “renew” https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...bassador/renew
I just get into a never ending loop that just keeps taking me back to https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental.../en/ambassador

Any suggestions?
There were problems a while back where people couldn’t renew online. IIRC an email to the AMB desk sorted it.

Is the $200 with 10% rebate on award nights still and option or have they removed that as well now?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by chrism20

Is the $200 with 10% rebate on award nights still and option or have they removed that as well now?
No option other than what I quoted, as far as I could see.

I’m awash with IHG points (320k) at the moment so redeeming them for something like this is appealing!
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:58 am

No option other than what I quoted, as far as I could see.

I’m awash with IHG points (320k) at the moment so redeeming them for something like this is appealing!
Thanks, shame if they have done away with that option. It was an additional $50 I didn’t mind paying tbh.

Yes, I’m currently working through mine. The next round of points changes must be due as well, I’m sure it was announced around this time last year.

P.S. I’m being subjected to the full dough & co treatment tonight
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:11 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold

Enjoy!
Don’t forget the hidden 8% service charge!
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
Thanks, shame if they have done away with that option. It was an additional $50 I didn’t mind paying tbh.

Yes, I’m currently working through mine. The next round of points changes must be due as well, I’m sure it was announced around this time last year.

When I renewed 11/2, all 3 options were there.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
I renewed just now and had all 3 options.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by patchan8984
I renewed just now and had all 3 options.
Same here - seeing same 3 AMB renewal options as expected.

"Elite Status Expiration Date" extended until "Dec 31, 2019". Fingers crossed that "Elite Status" will be Spire and not Gold
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:49 am

Thanks for the updates. Glad to see it’s still there. As I said last night it’s great value for the additional $50.

Thanks
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I have never been Amb, but I am considering buying it at the IC ANA Tokyo next year when I go there. One of the reason is to take my chances if that triggers an "extended Spire" even if I know that may not be the case who knows about next year.

The other reason and my question is, do you know if buying it at the hotel would lead to better upgrade/bennies yield for my stay at IC ANA Tokyo as opposed to if I bought it beforehand at the IHG website? In other words, are the hotels getting incentives for selling Amb and thus might be willing to go extra mile in pampering guests? If yes, then I think I will shoot a letter to the hotel beforehand about my plans of buying Amb form them and ask politely what I would get as upgrade with that.
Thanks for insights on this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Did my ambassador renewal using points yesterday.
My virtual card now shows expiry date of 28th February 2019, how do I tell whether it has prolongated my Spire elite?
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
How can one tell when Spire status expires is one is also Ambassador? Both the website and the app list my Amabassador expiry date.

Just tried the website at https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental.../en/ambassador

It tells me that;

“Your membership is due for renewal on Feb-28-2018. You can continue to enjoy all the benefits of InterContinental® Ambassador by renewing at our $150.00 USD annual rate, or you can renew today for 24,000 IHG® Rewards Club points”

When I click on “renew” https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...bassador/renew
I just get into a never ending loop that just keeps taking me back to https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental.../en/ambassador

Any suggestions?
Same exact experience for me just now in Chrome and Firefox.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
@FFlash: I would advice to do it at least two months before your stay, so you may be able of using the free weekend night voucher... if you're staying over the weekend. You should also be aware that you will NOT receive any points for the stay during which you purchase Ambassador membership.

Last edited by Stealthmode; Dec 30, 2017 at 3:38 am
Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: DL GM / HH DIAMOND / IHG PlatAmb / AB Silv
So any suggestions for me: My AMB expires in June 18, my spire status expires Sunday night. Is it worth extending the ambassador before sunday to extend my spire status? Until I found this threat I thought those are two different things and extending amb has nothing to do with your elite status as such.
Any ideas or tips? Thanks :-)
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:23 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by najrob
So any suggestions for me: My AMB expires in June 18, my spire status expires Sunday night. Is it worth extending the ambassador before sunday to extend my spire status? Until I found this threat I thought those are two different things and extending amb has nothing to do with your elite status as such.
Any ideas or tips? Thanks :-)
From memory the ability to renew Ambassador is only on offer in the last few months of membership.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 5:39 pm

from the data points, i don't fully understand what works...

i see several posts about using POINTS to renew- and that clearly works to also extend Spire. What I'm unclear about is whether renewing by paying cash does the same thing?

My Spire expires on 12.31.17, Ambassador expires 1.31.2018

The $200 paid renewal is more attractive given the points rebate/my award stays planned for next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.