Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Did you want the welcome gift or 500 bonus points that we will never really post?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did you want the welcome gift or 500 bonus points that we will never really post?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984

I just looked up how many locations recently have actually stiffed me instead of giving me my 500 or 600 "welcome bonus" points.

Three of my last five stays! I usually take the points because until recently I believed that 500 points might indeed be worth more than a bottle of water the hotel is paying 12 cents for. But I guess it turns this is cheaper.

YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK YOUR RECORDS AS WELL!

Recent stays with no points (since 3/1/15) include:
San Francisco Airport South, Burlingame
Crown Plaza Albuquerque
Chicago Metro Downtown

Be curious to hear from others about this. Seems like too many to be just me.

Last edited by Thumper; Apr 27, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:22 am

Never had a problem with them posting the gift points. Stayed 60 nights so far this year at 6 different IHG brands. I always check as well. Its usually posted within the first 2 days
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:35 am

Have you contacted the hotels and asked why they haven't been added? Normally I try and check before leaving and remind the front desk when checking out if they haven't been added.

A quick email to the GM normally sorts it, quite a few will also double it up as an apology for their error.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: SQ S, IHG Diamond/Amb, Accor S

I stayed in a CP in Italy with my wife recently. I was offered 600 points upon check in. I asked whether I could get a drink voucher instead and they gave us one each. Valid for beer, wine, softdrinks etc. at the bar plus snack.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out a few days later that the 600 points had posted as well.

So positive examples do exist!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite
That last 4 stays I have had they have all posted to my account the 1st day I've been at the hotel. Not once have I not gotten the points.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
never had a problem with the points posting either
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL Plat, PC Spire, Amex Reserve, Hilton Gold
I get stiffed now and then and just write IHG Priority Club CS and ask for the points. Of course I would rather not do it but have had to do it 3 times now.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:31 pm

From observation at the front desk when checking in if you are taking the points it gets written on a sheet and added manually by the FD/Revenue Manager.

I think this is the main problem tbh. I'm sure we have all at some point during a normal week say to ourselves "Where did I put that paperwork?" etc and then spent the next twenty minutes looking for it.

The system should be much sleeker and when checking in the MOS should have to tell the PC there and then whether you are taking points or the drink. If you take the points they are added immediately and if you take the drink a printer at the FD (similar to a receipt one) automatically prints your personalised drinks voucher and everything is accounted for properly and immediately. Is that too much to ask in 2015?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:32 pm

Delete

Last edited by chrism20; Apr 27, 2015 at 5:33 pm Reason: Managed to post the same thing twice!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I have had a couple of properties fail to post the points. One posted them as soon as I called when the stay posted without them. Another was more of a habitual offender ... until the manager realized what was going on, and gave me a whopping slew of points for having had to chase them down more than once.

Otherwise, they've always posted within a day or so, often right away.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:00 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Thumper
I just looked up how many locations recently have actually stiffed me instead of giving me my 500 or 600 "welcome bonus" points.

Three of my last five stays! I usually take the points because until recently I believed that 500 points might indeed be worth more than a bottle of water the hotel is paying 12 cents for. But I guess it turns this is cheaper.

YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK YOUR RECORDS AS WELL!

Recent stays with no points (since 3/1/15) include:
San Francisco Airport South, Burlingame
Crown Plaza Albuquerque
Chicago Metro Downtown

Be curious to hear from others about this. Seems like too many to be just me.
Now not point vouchers but online points entry during checkin missing points are purely a checkin person foulup
Probably an issue at hotels where managers want extra (too much) control and have checkin clerk make a paper&pen entry on a sheet for manager to enter later.... Either clerk forgets, mistypes ihg member-number or manager gets it wrong later.

I have no issues in UK/Europe in last 50+ stays although if draft beer in hotel I take the drink not points which is 50% of the time

Checkin Clerk should ask your preference for points/drink&snack at checkin and unlike when option first appeared if you choose points clerk should post the points during checkin

I even had points post day before arrival for HIE NEC Birmingham !

If not offered at checkin (and I guess I am offered choice 90% of the time) I ask am in those 10% instances clerk often says They assumed I will take points and they already entered points during my checkin

Last edited by scubaccr; Apr 28, 2015 at 6:07 am
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
I must confess that I never check my account to see if my welcome points have been actually posted or not
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:22 am

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
I've never had a problem, dozens and dozens of times, no problem for me. They usually post the next day, and i get an email too.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum Amb
I not only got stiffed welcome points at my last stay at the Cincinnati/Lawrenceburg Holiday Inn Express they insisted my account was gold and that I would only get 500 points as opposed to the 1000 points they gave Platinum members. Had my card, IHG master card and everything. Told me to call customer service, yea, right..........
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: Oneworld, Avios and IHG Spire Ambassador
It's certainly not a perfect system but lately the Points have been posting without any problem.

I had a lot of trouble last year and was constantly chasing for them, which is a pain for such a small amount of Points

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.