Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Account closed without any reason (might be: registering for targeted promotion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Account closed without any reason (might be: registering for targeted promotion)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2014, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
That is the same argument that it is a shop's fault if someone takes goods without paying since they had no one at the door to stop them
This - anyone arguing otherwise be warned. This isn't a slight on anyone. It could happen to me, you or anyone here. We all understand that and play the game accordingly. Anyone who gets tossed out of the game isn't likely to talk their way back in with a phone call.

Last edited by fireworksboy; Jan 15, 2014 at 3:47 pm
Old Jan 15, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL PM
Originally Posted by Often1
There's also no provision which says that you can't murder a hooker in the bathtub, but that doesn't make it OK.
Huh? There is a provision that says you murder someone, it's called the law. Because the law states you can't do it, IHG does not need to reiterate it. I'm pretty sure the penal code doesn't give a crap about non-targeted promo codes so it defaults to IHG to state whether it's ok or not... can anyone point to where they say a member can't do it?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 3:33 pm

This recent interview is interesting as well since it sounds like IHG knows of its system limitations, but wants those travellers. Its only to stackable promos, but seems like there must be something more to this account closure.

http://boardingarea.com/loyaltytrave....o8NO71aP.dpbs
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by olouie
Not what was I saying at all. But your interpretation is very interesting as it puts the consumer in the position of being responsible for system operation by IHG or any other hotel/airline.
If a person is trawling the internet and finding codes which they were never sent by IHG, then the person can hardly reasonably expect to believe that they are entitled to use them
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If a person is trawling the internet and finding codes which they were never sent by IHG, then the person can hardly reasonably expect to believe that they are entitled to use them
Disagree again. Lots of companies have promos codes out there there customers are entitled to use, but not sent specifically to them. You don't really need to trawl the internet to find codes anymore.

A reasonable person would likely assume that a system designed to verify codes would do so and that even if it failed that IHG would just take back the points generated from the improperly used codes. Terminating an account and revoking all of the points (legitimate and otherwise) accumulated is far more harsh.

Just curious, do you always only use codes sent directly by a merchant to you? You never use codes that are generally posted on forums like fatwallet or travel sites?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards-Platinum, BAEC-Blue, Hilton Hhonors-Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by olouie
This recent interview is interesting as well since it sounds like IHG knows of its system limitations, but wants those travellers. Its only to stackable promos, but seems like there must be something more to this account closure.

http://boardingarea.com/loyaltytrave....o8NO71aP.dpbs
Good point I remember reading that also...

And this-

http://boardingarea.com/loyaltytrave....y1IQbl3L.dpbs

Just look at how Loyalty Traveller has been stacking the non-targetted codes and he actually has interviewed Don Berg about this subject!

Surely IHG is not closing accounts because of just stacking non-targeted codes? There must be other reasons perhaps in addition to stacking these promo codes that are contributing to the reason for IHG closing these accounts? I am not disputing that it is allowed or not but it seems clear that IHG know full well what is going on and are actively on a drive to build the customer base further with 'savvy customers' presumably hoping they will form a loyalty with the IHG Group?

Then guessing once they have achieved their targets they will then close the loop down and hope to retain the majority of the customers they attracted by still offering market leading promotions but cutting out some of the slightly ridiculous loopholes currently available

As for the software it may be unable to validate targeted promotions and there may be a perception that IHG systems are not great but as a global corporation with a huge turnover I am sure they could close the loophole in a flash if they wanted to do that.

Perhaps the IHG care team could post some feedback not about specific cases but as to Don Bergs statement made in the recebt interviews on Boarding Area recently.

Last edited by premier01; Jan 15, 2014 at 4:31 pm
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond,United Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum,Hertz President Circle
Just to clarify i do not have multiple accounts and neither did i do any BRG claims.... All my stays were paid stays with my company's corporate rate. I confirmed with the agent twice about the reason for closure and she said that it was because of only one promo code that i registered for.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by biosurfer1
Huh? There is a provision that says you murder someone, it's called the law. Because the law states you can't do it, IHG does not need to reiterate it. I'm pretty sure the penal code doesn't give a crap about non-targeted promo codes so it defaults to IHG to state whether it's ok or not... can anyone point to where they say a member can't do it?
Gimme a break. It's this kind of view which has all of the posts on FT from people saying, "I only did XXX and now [Insert Loyalty Program] has zeroed me out."
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by deadly_scorpion
Just to clarify i do not have multiple accounts and neither did i do any BRG claims.... All my stays were paid stays with my company's corporate rate. I confirmed with the agent twice about the reason for closure and she said that it was because of only one promo code that i registered for.
The phone agents have no knowledge of the cause for closure of an account. Additionally, the phone agents are empowered to do nothing more than answer the phones.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by deadly_scorpion
Did you register for any code in 2014? Sorry for your situation, but would really appreciate if you could share with us regarding which promo codes you register...
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:22 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by premier01
Surely IHG is not closing accounts because of just stacking non-targeted codes?
I imagine they'd leave accounts alone if, overall, it makes sense for IHG to keep them open.

I'm not too worried about occasionally registering for offers I may not strictly be entitled to because I'm still a customer who's worth keeping thanks to a decent number of paid stays each year, including ICs in several countries. My sister's not worried either: she typically only stays at an HI once or twice a year and never has more than 40,000 points, so losing her account wouldn't hurt.

If your spend/stay pattern is somewhere in between, consider going easy on registering for offers and/or keeping your points balance low.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:57 am

Lets just say.....if they are closing accounts because of recent code staking...I better get my points out now.

I have been staying in IHG for 4 years now and i have NEVER EVER been sent a single code. I stay around 150 - 200 nights each year and never get these codes sent to me like everybody does.

without wanting to incriminate myself.....I'm on these boards quite alot and enjoy collecting points......

Deadly....How quickly from registering the code was your account closed and did the code you registered for, actually work or did it say unsucessfull?

If my account is closed - they will lose a fortune as I will stay in club carlson 150-200 nights a year, plus close my credit card and my colleagues will do the same.

Last edited by mowake; Jan 16, 2014 at 10:09 am
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by mowake
Lets just say.....if they are closing accounts because of recent code staking...I better get my points out now.

I have been staying in IHG for 4 years now and i have NEVER EVER been sent a single code. I stay around 150 - 200 nights each year and never get these codes sent to them like everybody does.

without wanting to incriminate myself.....I'm on these boards quite alot and enjoy collecting points......

Deadly....How quickly from registering the code was your account closed and did the code you registered for, actually work or did it say unsucessfull?

If my account is closed - they will lose a fortune as I will stay in club carlson 150-200 nights a year, plus close my credit card and my colleagues will do the same.
How does 150-200 nights at IHG + 150-200 nights at Club Carlson add up?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
How does 150-200 nights at IHG + 150-200 nights at Club Carlson add up?
I believe he is saying that he will move his stays from IHG to Club Carlson.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by iamthehpt
I believe he is saying that he will move his stays from IHG to Club Carlson.
Thanks - Thats exacty what I am saying....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.