Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Bora Bora Le Moana Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2007, 6:27 pm

LoyaltyClub, doesn't the bottom of the T&C state that with points redemption you don't get the exception--> none of the normal elite benefits mentioned??
Old Feb 4, 2007, 8:13 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by gleff
Right, you fly to PPT... your profile lists you as located in SBA, so you'd fly out of LAX... Air Tahiti Nui (TN) flies the most flights LAX-PPT, Air France also offers flights, and currently Air New Zealand does as well (though IIRC they'll ending this service).

Once you reach PPT you fly the local Air Tahiti (VT) carrier PPT-BOB.
Yup Air NZ drops LAX-PPT flights from April (still continues AKL-PPT but that is no good for you unless you are also visiting Australia or NZ on the same trip).

Both TN and AF fly both LAX-PPT and JFK-PPT.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 10:11 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Unless I've missed something, Air France only flies from LAX to Papeete, not from JFK.

You can still buy Air NZ fares from LAX to Sydney or Auckland which permit a PPT stopover, but the LAX-PPT sector will be flown on Air Tahiti Nui and won't earn points or miles.

This is only likely to be of interest to United or US Airways frequent flyers, and even then they would only get points on the PPT-AKL, AKL-SYD, SYD-AKL, AKL-LAX sectors. Having said that, a Business Class LAX-SYD ticket on Air NZ with an outward stop at Papeete and a return stop at Nadi or Honolulu can still earn a lot of points on any Star Alliance scheme, as it would include sectors LAX-PPT (no points), PPT-AKL, AKL-SYD, SYD-AKL, AKL-NAN, NAN-LAX.

Lastly, passengers from the UK / Europe or Australia / New Zealand who buy an Air NZ ticket from one end to the other, stopping at PPT, earn just as many Air NZ points as they would if Air NZ operated the LAX-PPT sector, because Air NZ awards points according to origin and destination, so LHR-AKL or LHR-SYD earns the same number of points even though the intermediate PPT-LAX sector is operated by TN. But that applies only to Air NZ points.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 7:16 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, IC Platinum RA, Emirates Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by skywalk
LoyaltyClub, doesn't the bottom of the T&C state that with points redemption you don't get the exception--> none of the normal elite benefits mentioned??

Yep, it does skywalk, for reward night redemptions, however I've stayed twice on points and always been given the benefits mentioned. I'd suggest not banking on these benefits, but if you do get them it's a nice extra bonus! Cheers, LC.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 9:36 am

Programs: AC*E, PC*Plat, IC*RoyalAmb
Originally Posted by Loyalty Club
Yep, it does skywalk, for reward night redemptions, however I've stayed twice on points and always been given the benefits mentioned. I'd suggest not banking on these benefits, but if you do get them it's a nice extra bonus! Cheers, LC.
I just returned last week from reward stays at both the IC La Moana and Thalasso. In both cases they honoured all the RA benefits including complimentary mini-bar. My RA upgrade was from a beach bungalow to an OWB at the La Moana and from an Emerald room to a Diamond room at the Thalasso. Both lovely hotels.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ICH Ambassador, HH Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, UA Premier, AA, Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Poco
I just returned last week from reward stays at both the IC La Moana and Thalasso. In both cases they honoured all the RA benefits including complimentary mini-bar. My RA upgrade was from a beach bungalow to an OWB at the La Moana and from an Emerald room to a Diamond room at the Thalasso. Both lovely hotels.
May I ask what airline(s) you used?
Old Feb 5, 2007, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Camino1
May I ask what airline(s) you used?
We flew Air NZ. I was able to book YVR-LAX-PPT with the YVR-LAX leg operated as a code-share with Air Canada. For some reason at the time I booked, YVR-PPT priced out just marginally higher than LAX-PPT and was in the same ballpark as Air Tahiti Nui and Air France. Plus I'm *G so it made sense to stick with a Star Alliance carrier for lounge access etc. I also like the Air NZ flight times, you arrive into PPT at around 5am, perfect to catch an early flight to Bora Bora. All the Air Tahiti Nui flights seem to get into PPT in the very late evening, meaning you have to grab a hotel there until morning.

The Air NZ flight was great. A bit of an older plane with no on demand video, but a great flight crew. Of course Air NZ will no longer be an option after the end of March. Too bad.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ICH Ambassador, HH Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, UA Premier, AA, Marriott Bonvoy
The Air NZ flight was great. A bit of an older plane with no on demand video, but a great flight crew. Of course Air NZ will no longer be an option after the end of March. Too bad.
Thanks--My trip will be too late for ANZ but I will keep your advice in mind regarding the early AM arrival.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:17 pm

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
I was also told by the FP reservation agent that I would not receive any benefits even on the combined paid/award stay at the Thalasso (most likely she said they would move me to a lower category room after the first two nights). I really hope they don't do this on our honeymoon but I know that I don't have much chance if they say I have to move rooms.

Poco, how did you find out about the free minibar during your stay? Did you simply ask them at check-in whether the minibar was free? And do you remember how much they charged you for the transfer to/from the airport as there are conflicting prices on the website?

Last question for you: How did you find the snorkeling around the Thalasso? I've read many reports on Tripadvisor saying that there are virtually no fish at all and it's a pretty boring lagoon to snorkel in. Was it any better at the Le Moana?
Old Feb 6, 2007, 12:49 pm

I had no trouble receiving the RA benefits. I dealt directly with each hotel. I started by asking for a 9am checkin and explaining that I was a RA. They wrote back to confirm it (and actually blocked the room for the night before to ensure it would be available) and confirmed my room upgrade at the same time. When I arrived I got the usual fruit & water and at the Thalasso a half bottle of champagne on ice as well.

We didn't ask about the mini-bar, just hoped for the best. At La Moana it was on the bill they dropped off at the room the night before but had dissappeared from the bill without any prompting by the time I checked out. Same thing at the Thalasso, it appeared on the bill they dropped off at the room. I called the front desk to see if they'd remove it, and the woman working didn't seem to understand the difference between Ambassador and RA benefits. A manager handled the check-out and the mini-bar charges were still on the bill. After he confirmed that my room charges were covered as reward nights I asked about the mini-bar charges and asked if they could be removed as I was RA. He took them off immediately.

The transfer to the airport was actually a slightly different rate from the airport to La Moana than it was from the Thalasso to the airport. But I'm pretty sure it was around 3500XPF per person.

There really aren't any fish at Thalasso. You seem some under the bungalows at night and some hang around the bridges, but nothing that's really worth putting the mask on and exploring. The snorkelling at La Moana on the other hand was great. You can swim out from your bungalow and find lots of fish. That's part of the reason I was so happy we spent three days at La Moana and a week at Thalasso. La Moana is also a much smaller, more intimate resort and you're better situated for exploring the island. I liked the mix of both environments. If you're only staying at Thalasso and want to snorkel, you can take the shuttle boat over the La Moana and snorkel there, you should even be able to sign out the snorkel gear there so you don't have to haul it over. You can also book an excursion to go snorkelling where you'll find way more fish anyways.

If you need any other advice, just ask.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had no trouble receiving the RA benefits. I dealt directly with each hotel. I started by asking for a 9am checkin and explaining that I was a RA. They wrote back to confirm it (and actually blocked the room for the night before to ensure it would be available) and confirmed my room upgrade at the same time. When I arrived I got the usual fruit & water and at the Thalasso a half bottle of champagne on ice as well.

We didn't ask about the mini-bar, just hoped for the best. At La Moana it was on the bill they dropped off at the room the night before but had dissappeared from the bill without any prompting by the time I checked out. Same thing at the Thalasso, it appeared on the bill they dropped off at the room. I called the front desk to see if they'd remove it, and the woman working didn't seem to understand the difference between Ambassador and RA benefits. A manager handled the check-out and the mini-bar charges were still on the bill. After he confirmed that my room charges were covered as reward nights I asked about the mini-bar charges and asked if they could be removed as I was RA. He took them off immediately.

The transfer to the airport was actually a slightly different rate from the airport to La Moana than it was from the Thalasso to the airport. But I'm pretty sure it was around 3500XPF per person.

There really aren't any fish at Thalasso. You seem some under the bungalows at night and some hang around the bridges, but nothing that's really worth putting the mask on and exploring. The snorkelling at La Moana on the other hand was great. You can swim out from your bungalow and find lots of fish. That's part of the reason I was so happy we spent three days at La Moana and a week at Thalasso. La Moana is also a much smaller, more intimate resort and you're better situated for exploring the island. I liked the mix of both environments. If you're only staying at Thalasso and want to snorkel, you can take the shuttle boat over the La Moana and snorkel there, you should even be able to sign out the snorkel gear there so you don't have to haul it over. You can also book an excursion to go snorkelling where you'll find way more fish anyways.

If you need any other advice, just ask.
Wow, Poco. Until I read your post I had decided on Thalasso only, but I think I may split, especially since I like snorkeling.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 2:20 pm

Wow, Poco. Until I read your post I had decided on Thalasso only, but I think I may split, especially since I like snorkeling.
We loved the LeMoana for our stay in September. Right near the city for fresh baguettes in the morning rather than paying $30-$40 for breakfast buffet.

The first night we got there, we called the front desk and confirmed the RA benefit of free mini bar and it wasn't a problem after that.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 6:51 pm

How long are you going for? The rooms at the Thalasso are stunning, a big step above La Moana. And I'm glad that we spent the bulk of the time there, for days hanging out in the bungalow it was perfect. But it feels like a big, new resort. The grounds aren't grown in yet and because it's so large I didn't find the service nearly as personal. And while the isolation of being on a motu is nice, it makes it a lot more difficult to eat on the main island, you have to take the shuttle boat back and forth. And we found that food at the Thalasso hit and miss... some great meals but some that were embarrassingly bad. We thought the food at La Moana was better, but it's less of an issue as there's a number of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel and more a quick (often free) ride away.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How long are you going for? The rooms at the Thalasso are stunning, a big step above La Moana. And I'm glad that we spent the bulk of the time there, for days hanging out in the bungalow it was perfect. But it feels like a big, new resort. The grounds aren't grown in yet and because it's so large I didn't find the service nearly as personal. And while the isolation of being on a motu is nice, it makes it a lot more difficult to eat on the main island, you have to take the shuttle boat back and forth. And we found that food at the Thalasso hit and miss... some great meals but some that were embarrassingly bad. We thought the food at La Moana was better, but it's less of an issue as there's a number of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel and more a quick (often free) ride away.
We won't be going until January. l will use Rewards Points to stay between 1-2 weeks, depending on how much free time I will have.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 6:53 pm

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Which email address do you use to contat the Thalasse and the Tahiti property directly? I was again told by the FP reservation agent that I would only receive a 1 category upgrade as an RA and no benefits at all when using my points even on a combined points/paid stay. I hope she doesn't enter a remark in my booking and contacts the hotel in advance. I'm really angry because not only am I on honeymoon but being an RA does not seem to count a bit in FP

What upgrade do you get as an RA in Tahiti if you book a garden room? Do you get an OW bungalow? I must say that I've stayed in the Tahiti IC three times in the past as a lowly Ambassador and they always treated me very well (was given Panoramic View room on each stay and room was preblocked the night before). I hope they haven't changed their attitude towards members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.