Wiki Posts
Search

IC Sydney Master Thread [merged] - after January 2011

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2015, 12:38 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tuchop
Family of 7 travelling to the IC Sydney in January, booked via Amex travel. Booked 3 rooms (2 city views and a harbour bridge view one).. two family members are IHG Platinum Elite. Should we expect upgrades? what about club access?
Thanks in advance
As already mentioned upgrades for paid stays only and when an ambassador only. Club access will be given as an upgrade if you have booked the highest category non club room. As a regular and a RA, I get a club upgrade on points stays but it's not the norm, and usually happens when they are not busy.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
So far, I'm not incredibly impressed. Last week I booked a stay here encompassing New Years Eve. Within a couple of hours of receiving my confirmation, I received a separate email directly from the hotel politely telling me, essentially, that I shouldn't expect all of my Ambassador benefits "due to the special event of New Years Eve on 31 December 2015." Ok, fine, I really wasn't expecting much of an upgrade anyway given the likely high occupancy rates (currently, the hotel appears to be sold out).

I immediately sent a reply, asking what New Years Eve events the hotel was hosting that guests could reserve. More than 3 days later and no response.

Does anyone have experiences staying here over New Years Eve? Any ideas what kind of special dinners/events the hotel might host, and the approximate costs?

-FlyerBeek
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
I've stayed here a couple of times as an Ambassador and have always received the usual one-category upgrade. Last month we booked a Club Harbour Suite for two nights and a few days in advance got an upgrade to a (the?) State Suite. Lovely view, lots of room, too bad I don't play piano.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 1:35 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.3; en-gb; GT-I9300 Build/JSS15J) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Originally Posted by Tax Dude
I've stayed here a couple of times as an Ambassador and have always received the usual one-category upgrade. Last month we booked a Club Harbour Suite for two nights and a few days in advance got an upgrade to a (the?) State Suite. Lovely view, lots of room, too bad I don't play piano.
That is unusual - they will usually reduce the room rate (by $100, from memory) if you book a Club Harbour Suite in lieu of an upgrade
Old Dec 18, 2015, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
So far, I'm not incredibly impressed. Last week I booked a stay here encompassing New Years Eve. Within a couple of hours of receiving my confirmation, I received a separate email directly from the hotel politely telling me, essentially, that I shouldn't expect all of my Ambassador benefits "due to the special event of New Years Eve on 31 December 2015." Ok, fine, I really wasn't expecting much of an upgrade anyway given the likely high occupancy rates (currently, the hotel appears to be sold out).

I immediately sent a reply, asking what New Years Eve events the hotel was hosting that guests could reserve. More than 3 days later and no response.

Does anyone have experiences staying here over New Years Eve? Any ideas what kind of special dinners/events the hotel might host, and the approximate costs?

-FlyerBeek
The hotel does not have any special events per se, it's more the fireworks and festivities that Sydney puts on, and the pressure on room stocks as people flock into the CBD to enjoy them. Many of the hotels in Sydney will be full despite no view on offer of the multiple fireworks displays. The IC on the other hand is one of a handful of hotels that are ideally positioned for the festivities, and they know it. RA privileges are even suspended, with no club access unless you book a club room.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by markis10
RA privileges are even suspended, with no club access unless you book a club room.
Given there is no 'out' in the T&Cs for the hotel to do this, I wonder what IHG would have to say about this.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 12:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Miles Down Under
Given there is no 'out' in the T&Cs for the hotel to do this, I wonder what IHG would have to say about this.
I doubt it will care
Old Dec 26, 2015, 10:29 pm

Just reading about that upgrade to a State Suite ...

I PAID for a Governor's Suite earlier this year, and asked if I might be eligible for a State Suite upgrade as a Plat AMB.

Nup.

I got the 'standard line', about the hotel DOES NOT incorporate the 'higher suites' into the upgrade system.

Bloody liers !!!!
Old Dec 26, 2015, 10:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

In what way was the hotel representative a lier (sic) ?

The IHG terms do not require that the hotel provide upgrades to speciality suites

That it may do it occasionally, does not mean it has a policy to do so
Old Dec 28, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
The hotel currently offers the best value for points I have ever seen:

Rooms available from AUD 5000/night or 50k points (or 35k points plus USD 90) on New Years Eve, that's about USD 3600/night or USD 1000/10k points. But of course why would anyone pay so much.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by DUflyer
The hotel currently offers the best value for points I have ever seen:

Rooms available from AUD 5000/night or 50k points (or 35k points plus USD 90) on New Years Eve, that's about USD 3600/night or USD 1000/10k points. But of course why would anyone pay so much.
No surprises there, the hotel will get compensated at high $$$$ as they are so full. Many hotels reopen award bookings when they hit the better compensation occupancy rates. It would be interesting to see what you get back using MrRebates or similar, of course award bookings don't count, hmm 6% of $5000........
Old Dec 29, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by markis10
No surprises there, the hotel will get compensated at high $$$$ as they are so full. Many hotels reopen award bookings when they hit the better compensation occupancy rates. It would be interesting to see what you get back using MrRebates or similar, of course award bookings don't count, hmm 6% of $5000........
currently you can get 10%
Old Feb 18, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Had my first stay at this property.. The girl who checked us in had a fairly crap attitude (Then again Sydney is not known for good service) All in all a very mediocre place to stay. Left early and moved over to the Marriott right away, and experienced better attitude, a nicer view/benefits.. Checking out the Park Hyatt before I leave, which should be nice.. A couple positives.. The pool has a great view, and the shower was pretty awesome (didn't look special, but great pressure, and temp)
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:53 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Decent Stay

I stayed one night (paid) at the end of January 2016 as a Plat Ambassador.
No complaints. Got minor room upgrade + fruit bowl and a nice bottle of house-brand red wine.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Bowgie
I stayed one night (paid) at the end of January 2016 as a Plat Ambassador.
No complaints. Got minor room upgrade + fruit bowl and a nice bottle of house-brand red wine.
The wine is made by a winery which shares the same owners as the IC - Mulpha, and comes from Bimbadgen http://www.bimbadgen.com.au

Pretty good drop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.