Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Sydney Master Thread [merged] - after January 2011

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: VA Platinum, QF Lifetime silver (ex plat :(), Accor Gold, IHG Ambassador, PC Platinum, Starwood Gold
IC Sydney Master Thread [merged]

Or john Kerry maybe?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates
ah that will explain why I couldn't book a club room for this weekend then when I was looking some time ago... down the road at the grand Pullman this time..
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:04 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Currently staying here now and am quite impressed - room upgrade was great and the staff super friendly.

For those of you that come regularly, they have just updated the menu in the Club Lounge tonight apparently. Compared to what I ate yesterday, this is a huge improvement! Highlights include, Peking Duck Spring Rolls, Tapas starters, great tomato salad, humous - although some pita to go with it would be great.

All in all a good lounge, made batter by the food improvements. I was a bit disappointed to find out the diet coke I had was charged - every other lounge I have been in has soft drinks free - tut tut for being so stingy!

Bangkok Club Lounge still the best imho.

aks120
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:09 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by aks120
Currently staying here now and am quite impressed - room upgrade was great and the staff super friendly.

For those of you that come regularly, they have just updated the menu in the Club Lounge tonight apparently. Compared to what I ate yesterday, this is a huge improvement! Highlights include, Peking Duck Spring Rolls, Tapas starters, great tomato salad, humous - although some pita to go with it would be great.

All in all a good lounge, made batter by the food improvements. I was a bit disappointed to find out the diet coke I had was charged - every other lounge I have been in has soft drinks free - tut tut for being so stingy!

Bangkok Club Lounge still the best imho.

aks120
Times are tough for this hotel and the discount rock bottom rates and lounge fees can't support giving away Diet Cokes that even a 3 star property do in their lounges
In a recent property they offered hundreds of cokes and diet cokes for free at check in as the line was long
What's the IC Sydney without nickel and dime behavior?
It might just change the perception of the property forever and it wouldn't be fun reading these posts and rolling ones eyes around in their head
If your happy that's all that counts. Drink up and pull out your credit card
Hope there was no deposit fee/credit card surcharge
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:08 pm

Query this with the hotel. I have never been charged for soft drinks in the Club IC here.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by everywhere
Query this with the hotel. I have never been charged for soft drinks in the Club IC here.
Actually you are correct - I take the diet coke charge accusation back. I was given a menu to choose a drink form- diet coke was $7 so I assumed I would be charged but it was not on my bill at check out.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Can someone please provide an email contact at this hotel to pre-arrange my RA upgrade preference for my stay next week? I tried PM'ing the contact that is listed in this thread but received no response.

Thank you.
srodr
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:34 pm

[email protected]
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:54 pm

Quote:

Actually you are correct - I take the diet coke charge accusation back. I was given a menu to choose a drink form- diet coke was $7 so I assumed I would be charged but it was not on my bill at check out.
I am here now and see this menu also listing prices for soft drinks, coffee, wine, beer, and food items. This is quite confusing... What do they actually charge for and why have prices listed for things that are free?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by srodr
I am here now and see this menu also listing prices for soft drinks, coffee, wine, beer, and food items. This is quite confusing... What do they actually charge for and why have prices listed for things that are free?
Seems they dont charge for some items but do for alcoholic drinks - but it is very confusing. I would ask before you order. There was a couple in there when I was there that nearly had a heart attack when they were charged a fortune for 2 glasses of wine they thought was free - just 15 mins before the wine was free at happy hour...!!!!!

aks120
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:58 am

So my thoughts after our 3 night stay...

Definitely underwhelmed overall, especially by the RA treatment in general (they definitely provided the required RA amenities, but not an inch more). Of course it didn't help that we stayed 4 nights at the Hyatt just prior.

Our 22nd floor suite was just okay with not so comfortable furniture, especially a very stiff sofa in the living room. The club was very nice, but not the best food spread I've seen. The view from the club was the highlight of the hotel, which was also nice from our room despite being so rudely cut in half by that apartment building across the way.

I was also not pleased by a 3% charge to our bill for using my Amex card as payment. The Hyatt certainly didn't do this.

It was worth a try but I doubt that we would choose this hotel again.

Last edited by srodr; Oct 28, 2014 at 11:06 am
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:31 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Definitely underwhelmed overall, especially by the RA treatment in general (they definitely provided the required RA amenities, but not an inch more). Of course it didn't help that we stayed 4 nights at the Hyatt just prior.

Our 22nd floor suite was just okay with not so comfortable furniture, especially a very stiff sofa in the living room. The club was very nice, but not the best food spread I've seen. The view from the club was the highlight of the hotel, which was also nice from our room despite being so rudely cut in half by that apartment building across the way.

I was also not pleased by a 3% charge to our bill for using my Amex card as payment. The Hyatt certainly didn't do this.

It was worth a try but I doubt that we would choose this hotel again.
Sorry to hear about the underwhelming stay
IC Sydney is still amongst the top poster child of what's wrong with IHG /InterContinental
Sadly almost every program and many a local hotel in their league typically outperform them. My take?
Some of IHGs customers haven't been to ICs competitors

Just be sure to do your 60 qualifying nights for the privilege to return here again and get the Royal treatment

Royal Ambassador Criteria:
Royal Ambassador status is by invitation only. To qualify for invitation to Royal Ambassador status, an Ambassador member must: During their membership year, stay at least 60 qualifying nights in any IHG® properties including InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza, Hotel Indigo, HUALUXE™, EVEN™ Hotels, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites and Candlewood Suites. At least 20 of these qualifying nights must be at InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts properties. The member must also stay at 3 or more different InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts properties. SCH reserves the right to change these criteria at any time and without prior notification.

– 60 qualifying nights (remember award nights are now qualifying as well)

– 20 nights at InterContinental hotels

– 3 different InterContinental hotels

At the end of the day I stay at the Westin Sydney
(never miss where I am a Platinum) and take my last remaining magical nights at the Park Hyatt Sydney where there is
simply no better send off to leave Sydney about why life is simply good in almost every way^
Both these hotels have been historically generous to me on revenue and award as a top tier elite and everyone else I have referred.
To be fair Sydney has clearly other strong performers out of the brands I do remain loyal too and to the city's credit is one of leading hospitality cities
in the world for my personal tastes and view points

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Oct 28, 2014 at 11:38 am
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:02 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
During the day non alcoholic drinks are free, then you have cocktail service for two hours, after which all drinks are paid for.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Definitely underwhelmed overall, especially by the RA treatment in general (they definitely provided the required RA amenities, but not an inch more).
If you received the benefits that you are entitled to, how would that be underwhelming rather than just meeting expectations?

The credit card surcharge is 1.5% and this amount is included in the rate details as a service charge and is included in the Estimated Total Price when booking online
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you received the benefits that you are entitled to, how would that be underwhelming rather than just meeting expectations?

Simply meeting the official minimum in granting 'entitled' benefits is not meeting my expectations for top level treatment (which have been formed by staying in many properties in multiple programs as a top level guest). I'm not talking about more 'free' stuff, I'm talking about the non-tangible things that show an appreciation for your business and status such as the staff remembering and greeting you by name or showing an added spark of interest when they recognize that you're a RA. I never once saw any of that at this hotel despite plenty of interaction with the staff downstairs and in the club. Again it may be unfair to compare, but this had been constant at the Hyatt.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The credit card surcharge is 1.5% and this amount is included in the rate details as a service charge and is included in the Estimated Total Price when booking online
The charge was an additional 3% added to the final total at checkout. If they had already added 1.5% for this into the rate and then tacked on this 3% I'll have to contact them to dispute it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.