Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone stayed at HI Montevideo, Uruguay?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2004, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Anyone stayed at HI Montevideo, Uruguay?

I am planning a trip down to the major cities of Chile, Argentina and Uruguay in May, and have sample various IC brands in Santiago and Buenos Aires, so know what to expect on my return visits. However, the other side of the Rio Plata is a mystery. Has anyone stayed at the HI Montevideo, or at least visited the city, and provide some comments?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
Couldn't find a more recent thread on this. Just finished a three night stay here. On the positive, as a Gold I got upgraded to a suite..

However, the jacuzzi bath leaked all over the bathroom, so I got moved to another suite, this one a smoking room. The bath also leaked in this one but not as badly. The room was very 80's style, the hotel desperately needs to speed up its refurb program. The new pool is nice but the rest of the hotel is in very poor condition.

The reception staff, with the exception of one, were very helpful, but I was left sitting in the bar for 30 mins waiting while the staff watched football!

Definitely wouldnt stay here again, my first really negative experience in an IHG property.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:52 am

Any updates? This hotel is currently on poinbreaks so I'm going to stay here next month.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA
I stayed there in late 2014 and agree with the above poster that the hotel was a little dated. The photos on the website seem to show the same (outdated) rooms. However, it was a nice location and we enjoyed our stay there.

And, beware the rooms with two twin beds.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:04 am

My stay

Just finishing up a 3 day pointbreak stay.

This is a very serviceable, comfortable place but not glamorous by any means. I arrived after a redeye in a driving rain and soaked after walking around trying to find the place. They let me check in early and I really appreciated that in my condition.

The room is large and had a comfortable king bed. Bath typical and unremarkable. TV with lots of choices. Refrigerator with bottled water (2 usd). Breakfast buffet was so so. Charge was 13 USD if staying on points. Fresh scrambled eggs and bacon, fruit, cereal, cheese, cold cuts and lots of bread and pastries. The latter were bland and a little stale so easy to avoid overindulging on carbs..

Staff always helpful and courteous. Didn't interact too much with them, but had a WiFi problem and got quick help. I speak Spanish and used it always but seemed look most spoke some English.

Location is great. One block from Plaza Indepenencia (most photographed place in the city, I suspect). Within a 15 minute walking radius there are lots of museums, restaurants, and grocery stores. There were a number of panhandling homeless in the area, but they were not threatening or aggressive. I donated to a few and they were very appreciative. Lots of Peruvians have migrated to Montivideo and there are lots of Peruvian restaurants in the old city...cheap and delicious. The grocery store around the corner on Andes is good for stocking in room snacks and drinks. Uruguayan wine is super cheap and meets my low standards for drinkability.

Best museum was Andes 1972 a few blocks from the hotel. It is dedicated to the air crash of the Uruguayan rugby team in the Andes. Really interesting and emotional.

All in all, I was pleased with this stay but many on here would find the place lacking in the luxury and sophistication pursued by a lot of the trip report writers here.

Last edited by myleguy; Aug 20, 2019 at 5:07 am Reason: Format

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.