Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2020 Promotion Speculation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
2020 Promotion Speculation Thread

Anyone know if IHG will continue the accelerate promotion in 2020 ?
cln likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:35 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Patience is your friend
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:30 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
no promotions currently planned according to rep today
Old Jan 26, 2020, 11:31 pm

They haven't even finished the 4x promotion. I wouldn't expect anything at the earliest until 2nd week of February.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 11:42 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I edited the thread title from "Accelerate promotion 2020" to indicate that this is a promotion speculation thread.

--jpdx, IHG forum Co-Moderator
Brendan, sdsearch and Philodemus like this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:08 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
It does seem strange though, they’ve run one for as many years as I can remember. It’s also a time of year where it seems to make sense to run one to drive extra business and all the other major chains are running them.
Anyway I guess we’ll find at some point...hopefully soon as I’ve got stays I need to book and if I don’t hear soon then I guess I’ll go with Marriott or Hilton...
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:26 am

Radisson has a really good offer atm, putting my stays that way just now with no active ihg offer going on.
Due to the structure and vast amount of bonus points of radissons offer, the longer it takes ihg to activate something the less likely I am to use ihg between now and April.
I'm no longer counting 4x points one as the dates for booking have past. Which let's be honest, was excellent while it was on.
sdsearch and Comatose.Captain like this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Maybe that feel they have simply given out too many points and are waiting for us to burn some, to avoid devaluing the whole thing again? Anyway, I am hoping Pointbreaks will be interesting today, even though I will probably not be able to use any of them!
Old Jan 27, 2020, 5:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Concerto
Maybe that feel they have simply given out too many points and are waiting for us to burn some, to avoid devaluing the whole thing again? Anyway, I am hoping Pointbreaks will be interesting today, even though I will probably not be able to use any of them!
I don't think so, on parts of IHG giving too much points and a good PB slection. In my opinion IHG is still evaluate the problem in China. After all, China is the second biggest single country market. The problem in China is also quickly have huge impact on Thailand, Malaysia and Japan, where Chinese tourist counts a lot.

I think IHG is in a situation that it realize the China situation may have a huge impact on its Q1 result. In the mean time, if the rumor is true that the situation may not be finally contained until middle or the end of February, many Chinese guests will not be able to enjoy the promo until then.

Thus, IHG might be recalculate the promo formula to meet two criteria:
1, to minimize the cost of promo but to maximize the revenue generated
2, to make the promo longer than usual so that the Chinese market could participate once the lock down is released.

I think we will have several promo going on at the same time to stimulate the revenue growth while have flexibility to react to the on going Chinese issue.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
In the past years, there was always an accelerate promotion which started in January.
Either they are starting it after chinese new year (which has just past) or there's some new promo planned.

Hilton at the moment has a flat rate of 2000 bonus points for EVERY stay regardless how small of a spend, that runs until early May and a another 10,000 points on top every time you hit 10 nights. This Hilton promo started at the very first week of January and most of my stays have been with them for this reason.

If IHG doesn't come out with a promo soon, people will book elsewhere as many people will not wait for them to make up their minds.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:38 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
IHG has a history of having breaks between promotions at times, although I’m surprised it is happening in February. I recall it happening during August and late Dec/early Jan in the past.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by est-gratuite
In the past years, there was always an accelerate promotion which started in January.
In the last few years, there's never been anything in the winter other than Accelerates. Now all of sudden there's the "up to 4x" promo, which straddled the end of 2019 with the start of 2020 (after it was extended).

So IHG could still be busy trying to figure if if they should do more targeted Accelerate or if they should shift to "same for everyone" promos like the "up to 4x" was.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Marriott15
They haven't even finished the 4x promotion. I wouldn't expect anything at the earliest until 2nd week of February.
the current 4x started before the last accelerate ended on 31st December so it's not a bar on having more than one promo at the same time.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 10:46 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
But then they run two Accelerate promotions in parallel, with different dates.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:35 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Marriott15
Useless since the bookings had to be made before 15th.
Otherwise I woukd have booked something.
Hilton it is then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.