Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Ambassador benefits at Crowne Plaza?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2019, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
IHG Ambassador benefits at Crowne Plaza?

I'm new to the program. I signed up for Ambassador status so I can try it at some ICs around the world. IHG Ambassador also comes with IHG Platinum right? My account shows Platinum Ambassador. Anyways, I checked-in at the Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing and I was a bit disappointed with what I got. The FD told me she can upgrade my room, which she did, and gave me a plate of fruits. No breakfast. No lounge access. I'm not even sure she have me 4 PM check-out so I'll have to ask again later tonight. I'm thinking of asking the manage and see if I can get more. Am I out of line here? Anything more I can get? I feel like I should have just sent to a Marriott or Hilton instead.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 7:29 am

Ambassador only refers to Intercontinental Hotels. Nothing to do with a Crowne Plaza.

Platinum is the benefit that you have in relation to a Crowne Plaza. If you got a meaningful upgrade, that's excellent for Platinum.

As a Spire member, the only tangible benefits I expect are 100% bonus points, and asking for a later checkout. That being said, apparently the Greater China region is more generous than Europe (I mainly stay in Europe).

In Europe, I would never expect Lounge access or Breakfast. Somebody more familiar with the China area can confirm this though

You need to think of Platinum and Spire as a points collection programme for Reward Stays. It's otherwise a terrible programme (RA / Ambassador with IC Hotels excluded from that statement). It's relatively easy to get free hotel nights via the reward points.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 7:54 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
The top tier of IHG is Spire. In China lounge access is only offered to Spire. Lounge access for Platinum is extremely rare nowadays and free breakfast is rare for any member.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lionheart
Ambassador only refers to Intercontinental Hotels. Nothing to do with a Crowne Plaza.

Platinum is the benefit that you have in relation to a Crowne Plaza. If you got a meaningful upgrade, that's excellent for Platinum.

As a Spire member, the only tangible benefits I expect are 100% bonus points, and asking for a later checkout. That being said, apparently the Greater China region is more generous than Europe (I mainly stay in Europe).

In Europe, I would never expect Lounge access or Breakfast. Somebody more familiar with the China area can confirm this though

You need to think of Platinum and Spire as a points collection programme for Reward Stays. It's otherwise a terrible programme (RA / Ambassador with IC Hotels excluded from that statement). It's relatively easy to get free hotel nights via the reward points.
What is RA?

I thought even Platinum got something more than just a room upgrade in China. It's not just IHG, but supposedly all programs does elite recognition better in China than in US/Europe.

Just to be clear, with my Ambassador start, I get free breakfast and lounge access at any ICs in the world?
Old Nov 1, 2019, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!
The top tier of IHG is Spire. In China lounge access is only offered to Spire. Lounge access for Platinum is extremely rare nowadays and free breakfast is rare for any member.
Free breakfast is rare for Platinum as well in China? So how do I know I got the right amount of points for my stay? Makes me wonder if I should have went with Holiday Inn or IC in Beijing instead. At least I'll save some money with HI.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 8:36 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by lsquare
Just to be clear, with my Ambassador start, I get free breakfast and lounge access at any ICs in the world?
Free breakfast for ONE person at IC properties in greater China is a new Ambassador benefit as of this year. It doesn't apply to properties outside of the region, and lounge access is not a benefit for Ambassadors.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
What is RA?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...formation.html

read Wiki - Royal Ambassador
Old Nov 1, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dw
Free breakfast for ONE person at IC properties in greater China is a new Ambassador benefit as of this year. It doesn't apply to properties outside of the region, and lounge access is not a benefit for Ambassadors.
Oh, gotcha and does this include HK as part of greater China? I meant to say status, but guess my phone’s autocorrect didn’t do a good job.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zebranz
I was reading the wiki and it said the expiry date is 12 months from sign up date. I just looked at the email and it says Jan 1, 2021. I signed up yesterday. Is that right?
Old Nov 1, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: IC Amb, IHG Plat
I was reading the wiki and it said the expiry date is 12 months from sign up date. I just looked at the email and it says Jan 1, 2021. I signed up yesterday. Is that right?
Yes, it is. I dont know why but usually the expiry date will end on the following end of year
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.