Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Best IHG Properties

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:20 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Another recent stay at that HIX on Soi 11, another vote for "meh" on the buffet breakfast (adequate but nothing special), otherwise the hotel was fine (10k two night award stay around NYE made for some decent value, the rooms are big and nice enough). I hit up Daniel Thaiger's next door for a beer and burger just because. The Belgian beer was fantastic, the burger was a bit overpriced but good enough. Coffee Club makes a damn fine flat white (as an Aussie coffee place should). Didn't get a lot of noise (I was facing towards Sukhumvit).

I might stay again on points when rates are high but Bangkok is so full of hotel deals offseason that a HIX is hard to get excited about.
Maybe they had a change, but the HIX Soi 11 is showing 20k per award night. At US$57 all in, it's hard to justify spending points.

Dan used to price his "Cowboy" at THB 200, which was reasonable enough, but 300 is too much. I can get "Australian" beef patties at Tops Market and do the same thing for under THB120 with a better bun and avocado/guac spread. Of course, I prefer the Thai food the GF makes instead.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by rbAA
Maybe they had a change, but the HIX Soi 11 is showing 20k per award night. At US$57 all in, it's hard to justify spending points.

Rates were way higher near NYE- perhaps I misremembered the points spend. I certainly wouldn't spent 20k for $57 all in though.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:24 pm

I'm comparing the breakfast to other HIX properties that I've been to, all of which have been worse in comparison. It wasn't amazing... the best IHG breakfast I ever had was actually at San Francisco Airport CP about 3 years ago. That property is dated as hell, but the breakfast sure was good.

Just hit about 4 other HIX properties across New York. Indianapolis, and San DIegoand... Soi 11 was still better. Certainly not amazing, but at least a bit better than the other HIX I've been to.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 3:54 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Originally Posted by baroqen
I'm comparing the breakfast to other HIX properties that I've been to, all of which have been worse in comparison. It wasn't amazing... the best IHG breakfast I ever had was actually at San Francisco Airport CP about 3 years ago. That property is dated as hell, but the breakfast sure was good.

Just hit about 4 other HIX properties across New York. Indianapolis, and San DIegoand... Soi 11 was still better. Certainly not amazing, but at least a bit better than the other HIX I've been to.
No worries, most breakfasts at any chain hotel can be blah. Of the HIX I've stayed in in Bangkok (HIX Siam, Sathorn, and Soi 11,) I do think Soi 11's is the worst..Of course, on the other end of the spectrum, there is the breakfast at the IC Wuxi, not the lounge spread, with anything and everything and good quality from dim sum, sushi, western, you name it, they probably have it. Started with a variety of fresh squeezed juice at the hostess desk. The IC Hua Hin comes close with great curry dishes and wide variety of foods. Again, not so much the Club Lounge breakfast.

Last edited by rbAA; Jan 8, 2020 at 4:21 am
Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Rates were way higher near NYE- perhaps I misremembered the points spend. I certainly wouldn't spent 20k for $57 all in though.
Yes they were. I did Christmas Eve at the HIX Soi 11 since my building turned off the water to clean the tanks, so we wanted to be gone most of the day and have a place to hang. US$57 and finished the last stay needed to max out my Accelerate promo.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
No worries, most breakfasts at any chain hotel can be blah. Of the HIX I've stayed in in Bangkok (HIX Siam, Sathorn, and Soi 11,) I do think Soi 11's is the worst..Of course, on the other end of the spectrum, there is the breakfast at the IC Wuxi, not the lounge spread, with anything and everything and good quality from dim sum, sushi, western, you name it, they probably have it. Started with a variety of fresh squeezed juice at the hostess desk. The IC Hua Hin comes close with great curry dishes and wide variety of foods. Again, not so much the Club Lounge breakfast.
One of the best HIX breakfasts I've had recently was at Clarke's Quay, Singapore. I always set my breakfast expectations to be low at HIX on the basis that it's inclusive so I'm usually content with some bread, meat, cheese and coffee/fresh juice and wouldn't expect a decent representation of a US/US hot breakfast (especially in Asia). Singapore exceeded those expectations, Soi 11 BKK didn't get close to them.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Camflyer
One of the best HIX breakfasts I've had recently was at Clarke's Quay, Singapore. I always set my breakfast expectations to be low at HIX on the basis that it's inclusive so I'm usually content with some bread, meat, cheese and coffee/fresh juice and wouldn't expect a decent representation of a US/US hot breakfast (especially in Asia). Singapore exceeded those expectations, Soi 11 BKK didn't get close to them.
I was thinking of trying them next Monday as I have a one night stay in Singapore before my flights back to the US, but I already booked the HIX Katong and have an eBates (Rakutan now) rebate of 15% from their promo last month, also it was SGD70 less. Hopefully, Katong will be as good.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
I was thinking of trying them next Monday as I have a one night stay in Singapore before my flights back to the US, but I already booked the HIX Katong and have an eBates (Rakutan now) rebate of 15% from their promo last month, also it was SGD70 less. Hopefully, Katong will be as good.
I've never been to the HIX Katong but I'm happy to recommend the Clarke's Quay as one of the best HIX properties I have been too in terms of location, facilities and service.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:29 am

I have IHG free nights and just booked the Staybridge in Thonglor for March. No reviews yet.

Anybody have an insight on the property?

I could stay at the IC but like the Thonglor district better.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:04 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by lamscott
I have IHG free nights and just booked the Staybridge in Thonglor for March. No reviews yet.

I might change my booking from the CP to the Staybridge for February. What about this area do you prefer over the IC or the Silom neighborhood?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by lamscott

Well there wouldn't be as it doesn't open until Jan 15th. Lots of Japanese restaurants around there, but a little walk to the BTS compared to the IC. Tops Market nearby so if you're cooking in the room that's conveniently located.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.