Search

points for free weekend night stays

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
points for free weekend night stays

I usually forget, or don't get the opportunity to use my weekend stay certificate: but this year I managed to claim the benefit. The result wasn't too great in terms of cost saving, but it was a saving. Yay!

But I was surprised to find the stay posting as non qualifying, zero points. The logic being that the average rate per night was below the trigger rate for awards.

In the past i've received full points for the total spend, and either one or two qualifying nights.

So I'm puzzled: is there any general rule on how these stays are handled ?
Perhaps there has there been a change to the structure of paying one night full rate and getting the second night free ?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:15 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Which IC was this? Some are notoriously bad at processing these stays correctly (looking at you IC Bali, in 15 years you have not managed to do it correctly even once ).

You should receive a 1-night qualifying stay credit if all is done correctly. Sometimes it will post as a 2-night qualifying stay which no one will complain about.

However, more often than not certain ICs split the 1-night paid rate over both nights and by virtue of doing so ensure you'll have a non-qualifying stay posting as the rate will be treated as heavily discounted (over 30%).

They are supposed to leave the first night untouched and then can put 0.01$ or whatever the local currency is for the second night.

You will have to claim for a correction via IHG Rewards Service Center (not fun) and it will post as an adjusted stay which then will likely not trigger any special promotion bonuses you may have been eligible for. Sometimes even Accelerate promo doesn't pick up the adjusted stay. Pain in the behind for sure.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by demue
Which IC was this? Some are notoriously bad at processing these stays correctly (looking at you IC Bali, in 15 years you have not managed to do it correctly even once )......
I believe from other posts that IAN-UK has made that it was IC Bali, but he will no doubt confirm.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by minz56
I believe from other posts that IAN-UK has made that it was IC Bali, but he will no doubt confirm.
Well that would certainly match the profile of that IC. I have explained it to their reservations managers multiple times how to do it properly and even told them to get in touch with specific staff at other ICs so they can get the info from colleagues instead of a guest, but no they just can't get it worked out properly at IC Bali which otherwise is a very pleasant resort.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by demue
Well that would certainly match the profile of that IC. I have explained it to their reservations managers multiple times how to do it properly and even told them to get in touch with specific staff at other ICs so they can get the info from colleagues instead of a guest, but no they just can't get it worked out properly at IC Bali which otherwise is a very pleasant resort.
You need to talk to the GM in person. And if that does not solve the issue, it would be a disgrace for an IC hotel!!
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by minz56
Yes. It was Bali. And interesting to learn it's a serial offender.

To be honest, I enjoyed the site and location of the hotel. But there were many inaccuracies and irritations involved in the stay. The club rooms are very tired and seem to have been abandoned in terms of maintenance.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by chongcao
You need to talk to the GM in person. And if that does not solve the issue, it would be a disgrace for an IC hotel!!
I have met 4 or was it 5 GMs (?) as well as Resort Managers and countless Directors of Rooms etc. over the 15+ years of being a repeat guest with multiple stays a year there. Most were pleasant and nice and all promised to work on fixing various issues that have occurred over the years.

Often they were successful, but this issue has never been addressed. Changing reservations staff doesn't help either. You give it a try if you ever stay there, you would be my hero if you get them to abandon that erroneous way and do it correctly .
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Yes. It was Bali. And interesting to learn it's a serial offender.

To be honest, I enjoyed the site and location of the hotel. But there were many inaccuracies and irritations involved in the stay. The club rooms are very tired and seem to have been abandoned in terms of maintenance.
Probably better to continue this under the IC Bali thread, but Club rooms were initially planned to start renovation in Oct 2017 IIRC. Latest info is that it will start in early 2019. While overall still well maintained, they are showing their age these days.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

.... they have now been kicked into action, and posted the stay as a qualifying night ....... but zero points. Time to give up and move on I think.

I've followed demue's advice and put a fuller version of my comments in the IC Bali thread

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...l#post30586611

Last edited by IAN-UK; Dec 29, 2018 at 7:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.