Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honeymoon in NOLA, which IHG property?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Originally Posted by Super Mario
I believe it's between the Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza in the French Quarter. The Holiday Inn seems to be a favorite. Is there a reason why? The Crowne Plaza is $450 the night I want to stay. Why is it so much?
We stayed at the CP a couple of years ago, and the HI LeMoyne a month ago. They both have their pros and cons. The CP is bigger, and can offer more of the amenities of a big hotel, and those with status can get a nice room upgrade, which we received. (But under no circumstances would I pay $450 to stay there.) At the HI we needed two beds as our daughter was with us, and that meant the the choice was basically balcony or no balcony. We opted for a room without a balcony, because it did not face the street. Nice, comfortable, nothing remarkable.

The CP is right on Canal Street, and wraps around to Bourbon Street. That's a rather noisy location (understatement of the year), and comes with all the "loveliness" that Bourbon Street has to offer 24/7. The HI is a block off Bourbon, and that one block makes a big difference in terms of noise, etc. Also, if you book an upper floor inside room (overlooking the pool rather than the street) at the HI it is VERY quiet, and the pool view is rather nice. We thought the staff at the HI, especially front desk, was very friendly and accommodating. Personally, as much as we liked the room upgrade at the CP, I really enjoyed not being right on top of Bourbon Street at the HI. Breakfast at the CP was fine, did not eat at the HI. For breakfast, go around the corner to the Cafe Conti for a very nice home cooked meal for very little $. A local friend recommended the Ruby Slipper a few blocks away on Canal for breakfast, which is not bad if you love a BIG breakfast. (And a full bar as you walk in the front door at 8AM. Definitely New Orleans.) Very popular, always a line, get the NoWait app and put yourself on the waitlist before you even leave the hotel. ^

Bottom line on your choice depends on what's important to you for your hotel. Both will serve you well, but I would give the edge to the HI for the nicer, quieter location.

Last edited by bob12403; Jul 4, 2018 at 6:29 am
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I think we would have booked Chateau LeMoyne but there was no availability the Saturday in the middle of the stay. Wish I hadnt waited. So the IC it is. Thanks for all the input.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I never stayed at the Intercontinental, due to the location.

The Holiday Inn is more intimate and has a much better pool.

The Crowne Plaza feels like an outdated grand dame hotel. It's more elegant but not as relaxing, and the pool is an afterthought.

Both are perfectly fine options. If I was simply looking to party, the Crowne Plaza is tough to beat. If I was going for romance, the HI would have the edge.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Postscript: they checked in yesterday and were upgraded to a balcony room. Fruit, chocolates and wine were delivered to the room courtesy of the front desk. It helped to mention honeymoon on the reservation.
FlyinHawaiian and danbnash like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:32 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by BamaVol
They are both big fans of breakfast. A nearby spot for breakfast or brunch might turn the tide in favor of any of these hotels.
If they are at the IC, it's not that far a walk to Mother's (on Poydras).

Mother's Restaurant - New Orleans - World's Best Baked Ham - 401 Poydras, New Orleans, LA 70130 Tel: 504-523-9656

I've stayed at various properties in NOLA, including the W (now Le Meridien) which is in the general area that the IC is in; I don't mind staying outside (but still within walking distance) of the French Quarter. I'm leaning towards the IC for my next planned trip this Fall.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
If they are at the IC, it's not that far a walk to Mother's (on Poydras).

Mother's Restaurant - New Orleans - World's Best Baked Ham - 401 Poydras, New Orleans, LA 70130 Tel: 504-523-9656

I've stayed at various properties in NOLA, including the W (now Le Meridien) which is in the general area that the IC is in; I don't mind staying outside (but still within walking distance) of the French Quarter. I'm leaning towards the IC for my next planned trip this Fall.
They passed Mothers their first day and remarked on the lines. I think they went back for a late lunch when the crowd died down a little.

BV Jr#3 mentioned to the desk that today was his brides birthday. At midnight, they sent up cake and mimosas!
FlyinHawaiian likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.