Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Qualifying rates becomes non qualifying rate - What are my options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold

I have booked a 2 night stay at IC Singapore. Hotel was fully booked and I was booked on Best Flexible Rate for a Deluxe Rate at SGD620++ per night for 2 days stay. Room was check-in earlier by my travel companion. I went to check-in later in the evening for the stay and was given the room key promptly.

Room was upgraded beyond the usual 2-level upgrade and was given a Premier Suite room (instead of the usual Premier Room for RA).

Upon check-out and checking my account, it was posted as non-qualifying stay: Discounted rate. I emailed to the IHG Ambassador and gotten the response as follows:

Hello Mr. hclee01,

I hope you are doing well. It's my pleasure to assist you with your stay at InterContinental Singapore.

I reviewed your reservation and I see that it was initially booked under the Best Flexible Rate. However, it shows also that your reservation was modified. There was a room change and the rate was also changed into a negotiated rate that's why it was posted as a non qualifying rate.

The good news is I have added 2,000 points to your account as we value your business with us. I have also added your 600 welcome amenity points on hotel's behalf. Your current point balance is XXXXXX and this should now be available on your online account at www.ihgrewardsclub.com.

We always aim to serve our members better. If you need anything else, feel free to email us and we'd be happy to follow up.

Sincerely,

XXXXX
+44 (0) 20 33 499 034 (toll charges apply)

I was surprised with this response as my travel companion and myself was not told that the rate will be a non qualifying room rate, given that the point of booking, it is eligible for points. Also, they are now trying to "calm" me down with just a miserable 2,000 points.

What are my options? I think IHG is not being very transparent with this and sneaky about it. I know that I have been upgraded a room way beyond the 2-level, but I was not told that the rate will now be non qualifying. Especially I had paid a room rate that is much higher than the norm.

Thanks for sharing any insights.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Club Spire Elite, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by hclee01
I have booked a 2 night stay at IC Singapore. Hotel was fully booked and I was booked on Best Flexible Rate for a Deluxe Rate at SGD620++ per night for 2 days stay. Room was check-in earlier by my travel companion. I went to check-in later in the evening for the stay and was given the room key promptly.

Room was upgraded beyond the usual 2-level upgrade and was given a Premier Suite room (instead of the usual Premier Room for RA).

Upon check-out and checking my account, it was posted as non-qualifying stay: Discounted rate. I emailed to the IHG Ambassador and gotten the response as follows:

Hello Mr. hclee01,

I hope you are doing well. It's my pleasure to assist you with your stay at InterContinental Singapore.

I reviewed your reservation and I see that it was initially booked under the Best Flexible Rate. However, it shows also that your reservation was modified. There was a room change and the rate was also changed into a negotiated rate that's why it was posted as a non qualifying rate.

The good news is I have added 2,000 points to your account as we value your business with us. I have also added your 600 welcome amenity points on hotel's behalf. Your current point balance is XXXXXX and this should now be available on your online account at www.ihgrewardsclub.com.

We always aim to serve our members better. If you need anything else, feel free to email us and we'd be happy to follow up.

Sincerely,

XXXXX
+44 (0) 20 33 499 034 (toll charges apply)

I was surprised with this response as my travel companion and myself was not told that the rate will be a non qualifying room rate, given that the point of booking, it is eligible for points. Also, they are now trying to "calm" me down with just a miserable 2,000 points.

What are my options? I think IHG is not being very transparent with this and sneaky about it. I know that I have been upgraded a room way beyond the 2-level, but I was not told that the rate will now be non qualifying. Especially I had paid a room rate that is much higher than the norm.

In my experience it's only the room type that changes with upgrades (and sometimes the number of guests if a hotel uses that as a way of not subsequently changing it back again), and the rate code and price remain unchanged.

Was the price you paid the same as you originally booked under "Best flexible rate"? If so then you're entitled to the points as a qualifying stay in my opinion as that's what you booked. If the hotel chose to upgrade you beyond the norm then that's their choice and you were lucky in getting such a good upgrade - or saved them an issue with overbooking on lower room categories - but it certainly shouldn't have changed it into a non-qualifying stay.

Suggest you go back to Customer Services and dispute their initial response and state that you booked your stay at a qualifying rate and never asked the hotel to change it into a negotiated rate.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Originally Posted by olympian
In my experience it's only the room type that changes with upgrades (and sometimes the number of guests if a hotel uses that as a way of not subsequently changing it back again), and the rate code and price remain unchanged.

Was the price you paid the same as you originally booked under "Best flexible rate"? If so then you're entitled to the points as a qualifying stay in my opinion as that's what you booked. If the hotel chose to upgrade you beyond the norm then that's their choice and you were lucky in getting such a good upgrade - or saved them an issue with overbooking on lower room categories - but it certainly shouldn't have changed it into a non-qualifying stay.

Suggest you go back to Customer Services and dispute their initial response and state that you booked your stay at a qualifying rate and never asked the hotel to change it into a negotiated rate.
Yes, the price is as per what I have paid under the "Best Flexible Rate" which is S$620++ per night.

Thanks for the advice, I will respond to dispute on the non qualifying status stay. Was a little upset that they tried to "brush" me off with a goodwill "2000 points".
Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:58 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Usual BS from customer service, best to call, and if you get the same line, point out that even if the rate was in fact a negotiated rate, it’s still qualifying in Asia Pacific under the programs terms and conditions.

In Asia, the Middle East, Africa, and Greater China (Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan) hotels and resorts, Qualifying Rates include all locally negotiated rates.”
Old Mar 2, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
@ hclee01 I have always had sucess filing in the websites missing points check outlink form available 8nights after a checkout.
Those support staff that review those are definitely better than some random help center call/email answering person has usual who lacks training/knowlege and has the ususual nn calls/email-replies targets per hour/shift and can sometimes fire off stock cut n paste to hit such targets rather than do what they should.

In fact it is not at all unusual for a high percentage of emails like yours to be knocked back as "yes unqualifying for reason xxxx" forcing those in the know to forward reply back to explain why response is wrong and why stay needs correcting, after 4of6 incorrect email knockbacks in my early days, i now only use online link form with 100% sucess

Your negative email reply has a rubbish reason so no reason to worry/explain in detail, RA/Amb guests are upgraded all the time at ICs, a case of HUCA except I'd use missing points form or email my reply to a different team , eg Amb Guest Services versus standard IHG Support team
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

That's a rubbish reply on every level. i think you've been unlucky in the agent lottery.

I've never run into problems getting non-qualifying or missing stays put right, but i always call the service centre.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
That's a rubbish reply on every level. i think you've been unlucky in the agent lottery.

I've never run into problems getting non-qualifying or missing stays put right, but i always call the service centre.
+1.

You can almost bank on your first reply from IHG being completely wrong. Laziness or is there an incentive scheme in place to try and screw members who don't know what's going on???? I've had an agent claim that award nights don't count for status.

Anyhow, by following up again it should be sorted out.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:45 pm

Rate change- nothing new to me. The best episode was at Staybridge suites- on check out I was told that my Best flexible reservation was already paid- with points. Only a few days later when I returned for another stay, the manager excused and I was able to pay. But the stay posted non-qualifying. It was sorted out by service center after a couple of emails back and forth.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the sharing. I have reached out to both the hotel and the IHG Customer Care Service.
I have written to both the hotel (IC Singapore) and the IHG Customer Care Centre on this. IC SIngapore suspected that it is a system glitch and will revert to me with the findings within the next 2 days. IHG Customer Care Center closes the case by crediting the points. Email is appended below. Given that this is an adjusted stay, this did not trigger the "Stay in AMEA for up to 71K points" bonus points. I will see if this trigger an update of the Accelerate Promotion stay update.

Hello there, <hclee01>!

Hope you're well.

My name is IHG and I'm pleased to assist a valued Spire Royal Ambassador member like you with your account inquiry.

First, I'd like to apologize for the delay in response as we are currently experiencing high email volume than normal.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this matter has caused you. I reviewed your stay in question and made some adjustments. You earned 18,964 points and your current point balance is XXX.

Thank you for choosing our hotel. Should you need further assistance, you can reply to us and we'll be glad to help.

Take Care!
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: NZ
....Given that this is an adjusted stay, this did not trigger the "Stay in AMEA for up to 71K points" bonus points
The points for an AMEA promotion normally post at the same time as the normal points for the stay, not at a later date, so you probably should go back to IHG Customer Services and claim these points too.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by minz56
The points for an AMEA promotion normally post at the same time as the normal points for the stay, not at a later date, so you probably should go back to IHG Customer Services and claim these points too.
Looks like it will be another "merry go round" to claim for this promotion points again.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by minz56
Would like to post back on this AMEA promotion and this was the response that I have gathered from IHG Customer Care supervisor:

"However, for the "Stay in AMEA for up to 71K points", I'm afraid that you are not eligible for the promotion. Please know that we encountered an error with the said promotion and several non-targeted members were able to register. We are currently undertaking steps to alleviate the situation."

I think IHG IT system really needs a major upgrade!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.