Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CP Spire

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH Sen, IHG Spire, Hertz Pres.
CP Spire

I am currently staying in a CP, where at check-in I was offered lounge access for me, but not for my wife (sharing the room with me).
Only after heavily complaining my wife was also invited.

I have never experienced that before.
Is this common for CP?
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
Originally Posted by LHWolf
I am currently staying in a CP, where at check-in I was offered lounge access for me, but not for my wife (sharing the room with me).

Is this common for CP?
I'm a long-time IHG Spire and Hilton Gold or Diamond and in all my stays which included lounge access - which have been many - I have never had an experience like this. I've had CPs that provided no lounge access, or that provided lounge access to both of us either for free or at a cost, but never one that only granted access to me but not a fellow guest staying in my room. That's pretty absurd and would represent a new low for IHG as far as I'm concerned, though this is certainly not standard practice.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:37 pm

I've read that the free (welcome) drink are now limited to only the Elite guest so I guess it can be viewed the same for lounge access?
Would it not be strange to have a policy to offer only 1 welcome drink for Spire Elite irregardless of room guests and then let the Spire Elite choose lounge access for 2?

Anyways, the Terms says is only for the Spire Elite and additional guests are chargeable.

Club Lounge Access
Q1: Is Club Lounge Access for a single day or for duration of the stay?
You will be honored for duration of the stay.

Q2: How many people per room are allowed in the Club Lounge?
Only the Spire Elite members can access to the Club Lounge. Additional costs may be incurred if additional visitors join the member.

Q3: Is Club Lounge Access transferrable or accumulated to use?
No, Club Lounge Access is non-transferrable and effective during the duration of stay. It cannot be used for another stay and will expire once Spire Elite member checks out.

Q4: If a Spire Elite member has booked a Club Room in Crowne Plaza Hotel & Resorts and HUALUXE Hotel & Resorts, what will be offered as the Welcome Amenity at hotel?
Since the booked room includes Club Lounge Access, the Spire Elite member will receive a Welcome Drink, in-room amenity and Food & Beverage Credit valued as 90RMB.
https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/de...-update-gc/faq
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Whilst the welcome drink is only for the spire member most decent properties will give you 2 I have never not had lounge access for 2 when 2 people have been staying in the room. Lounge access is always for the room when sold as part of the room rate so it would take a lot of effort to enforce a 1 lounge guest only rule.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:41 am

For properties who intend to only grant the Spire member lounge access and charge additional guests for entry, they most likely will have staff at the entrance verifying room number and allowed guests number. I see this set-up most often during time periods with complimentary food and drinks. Also no different from checking breakfast entitlement at hotel restaurant.

Ultimately, Terms requires only Spire access but properties may choose to go beyond.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PayItForward
For properties who intend to only grant the Spire member lounge access and charge additional guests for entry, they most likely will have staff at the entrance verifying room number and allowed guests number. I see this set-up most often during time periods with complimentary food and drinks. Also no different from checking breakfast entitlement at hotel restaurant.

Ultimately, Terms requires only Spire access but properties may choose to go beyond.
I can see how they would do it, I just think it would cost more to police than it would possibly save and create a good deal of resentment too. If I ever checked into a hotel whilst with my Mrs and was told she couldn't use the lounge then I would be cancelling my reservation on the spot.

Like much else IHG related this is very poorly thought through and executed as a T&C and thankfully I have yet to encounter this anywhere.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHWolf

Is this common for CP?
Please name the CP so that we can all avoid it.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The quote from ihg.com above refers specifically to member benefits in China, if you click through.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I can see how they would do it, I just think it would cost more to police than it would possibly save and create a good deal of resentment too. If I ever checked into a hotel whilst with my Mrs and was told she couldn't use the lounge then I would be cancelling my reservation on the spot.

Like much else IHG related this is very poorly thought through and executed as a T&C and thankfully I have yet to encounter this anywhere.
So with the new 24hrs cancellation rule you would rather lose your booking and forfeit one nights rather than pay for her access??

Name the CP so we can avoid or at least lower our expectations.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by PayItForward
Anyways, the Terms says is only for the Spire Elite and additional guests are chargeable.

https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/de...-update-gc/faq

The inelegantly, awkwardly, phrased terms suggest that particular line has been introduced to prevent (say) a weekend visitor registering a number of local guess to his/her room and starting Saturday night off with a visit to the lounge. It happens, I've seen it. But a pity if a blameless couple visiting the city get caught up in a "computer says no" application of the rules.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blindman
So with the new 24hrs cancellation rule you would rather lose your booking and forfeit one nights rather than pay for her access??

Name the CP so we can avoid or at least lower our expectations.
The 24 hour cancellation is not uniform. The vast, vast majority of properties allow me to cancel to 6pm on the day of arrival when booking at my corporate rate.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:57 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The 24 hour cancellation is not uniform. The vast, vast majority of properties allow me to cancel to 6pm on the day of arrival when booking at my corporate rate.
The vast, vast number of properties I use are now 24hrs notice though I do not use a corporate rate.

Lucky you.

Please name this CP so we can adjust our expectations.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:29 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Very little is free for Spire these days. You're lucky to get lounge access for yourself for free. IHG keeps sending us useless cheap perks for being Spire, but they won't provide proper in-hotel benefits for their top tier.I would gladly sacrifice all the rubbish like car rental perks, Kindle books, etc., for a real room upgrade AND club lounge access.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by rumbataz
Very little is free for Spire these days. You're lucky to get lounge access for yourself for free. IHG keeps sending us useless cheap perks for being Spire, but they won't provide proper in-hotel benefits for their top tier.I would gladly sacrifice all the rubbish like car rental perks, Kindle books, etc., for a real room upgrade AND club lounge access.
Join a different program then. It’s obvious to most that the IHG program is all about points and free nights, and it’s the best in the industry for that. Unless you are RA (at ICs) the in-hotel perks are few and far between. Take it for what it is, or move on.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eltham
Join a different program then. Its obvious to most that the IHG program is all about points and free nights, and its the best in the industry for that. Unless you are RA (at ICs) the in-hotel perks are few and far between. Take it for what it is, or move on.
This is true and is a good reason why IHG doesn't get more of my business because you never know what you are going to get. If you want proper benefits stay with a proper hotel chain otherwise roll the dice with IHG.
yurtripper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.