Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New RA Benefits -- a net plus or net negative?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond
Mexico City IC had the fake room 2 cat upgrade with different view but at least the club lounge has been upgraded, always thought this hotel was a poor value even as RA.

IC Chicago has vastly improved for RAs, got a large suite, breakfast, Starbucks voucher, drink at Michael Jordan's, free mini-bar and they now offer Happy Hour dinner + drnks at wine bar adjacent to lobby, this was on a reward stay.

IC HK is the big disappointment, may as well just go to Grand Stanford, never got a suite there anyhow or heard of anyone else getting one either.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by #1son
Mexico City IC had the fake room 2 cat upgrade with different view but at least the club lounge has been upgraded, always thought this hotel was a poor value even as RA.

IC Chicago has vastly improved for RAs, got a large suite, breakfast, Starbucks voucher, drink at Michael Jordan's, free mini-bar and they now offer Happy Hour dinner + drnks at wine bar adjacent to lobby, this was on a reward stay.

IC HK is the big disappointment, may as well just go to Grand Stanford, never got a suite there anyhow or heard of anyone else getting one either.
You won't get a suite for a basic room at the IC HKG that is not the sweet spot at that property. I have however had very generous suite upgrades (more than 2 cat) from middle order rooms/junior suites.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:03 am

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond
except my last two stays at IC HK, on more than 10 stays I was upgraded to an end suite (junior or ??) with unobstructed view of Central, this was more than sufficient for me.

Last edited by #1son; Jun 22, 2017 at 11:24 am
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

except my last two stays at IC HK, on more than 10 stays I was upgraded to an end suite (junior or ??) with unobstructed view, this was more than sufficient for me.
I have had a few presidential suites too but know I shouldn't expect them
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
except my last two stays at IC HK, on more than 10 stays I was upgraded to an end suite (junior or ??) with unobstructed view of Central, this was more than sufficient for me.
Probably a Superior Junior Suite.

Used to be default room for RAs booking IC-HKH entry level room on either award or paid stays and not a for sale category. RAs booking Deluxe got 2cat bump to Deluxe Junior Suite, whilst to get Exec Suite one had to book Dlx J/S

I used to book Deluxe Room for RA upgrade to Dlx JS. (Dlx Harbour view also ended up in Dlx JS). Now booking Dlx is upgraded to Sup J/S.
I fail to see why they had to backtrack, absolutely not due to FRA foc Lounge on Paid stays, since IC-HK already gave RAs foc lounge access.

Alas now ! the Sup J/S is on sale (Since Apr2016), and alsocounts as a category, whilst RAs get +2cat upgrades. I won't be returning and treating IC-HK as my preferred HKG hotel anymore due to new higher cost to obtain Dlx J/S
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: IHG RA, DL Dia, Hertz 5Star
Subconsciously I must have wanted to elevate my blood pressure. I recently looked at the T & C and noticed that yet another change has been made to RA benefits. No automatic Club Lounge access. No guaranteed 2 category bump. Back to the old upgrade to executive, suite or club room. At this point I don't know why I do so many contortions to maintain my RA status. It may be time for me to burn points where value still is received and then change programs.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by land31411
Subconsciously I must have wanted to elevate my blood pressure. I recently looked at the T & C and noticed that yet another change has been made to RA benefits. No automatic Club Lounge access. No guaranteed 2 category bump. Back to the old upgrade to executive, suite or club room. At this point I don't know why I do so many contortions to maintain my RA status. It may be time for me to burn points where value still is received and then change programs.
I've checked the T+C's but don't see the changes you describe.. just the changes from the start of the year..
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:47 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by land31411
Two t+c places, on ihg @Rewards site and Intercontinental site. I always use the Intercontinental (though last time I looked t+c's almost identically phrased)

https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...rms-conditions
Points 11 and 13 cover the two areas of the world regards RA Upgrade + Lounge Access and both paragraphs give both +2cat upgrade + Club access

The only real change (Feb2017) was to point 8. The Ambassador block that also deals with less benefit if staying as an award night.
Since before 1st Sep 2016 t+c benefit changes, RAs had no Guaranteed foc Club Access, Club-Lounge was not needed to be mentioned as an excluded benefit in paragraph 8.

Once Europe+Americas switched to new +2cat&Lounge from late Feb2017, paragraph 8. was then amended to exclude Club-Lounge for RAs on award nights, which though unfortunate was fair enough. I'd guess for upto 2-3weeks late Jan to early Feb before paragraph 8 caught up, RAs could argue for foc Lounge on award nights, but that was never an intended benefit change.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Two t+c places, on ihg @Rewards site and Intercontinental site. I always use the Intercontinental (though last time I looked t+c's almost identically phrased)

https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...rms-conditions
Points 11 and 13 cover the two areas of the world regards RA Upgrade + Lounge Access and both paragraphs give both +2cat upgrade + Club access

The only real change (Feb2017) was to point 8. The Ambassador block that also deals with less benefit if staying as an award night.
Since before 1st Sep 2016 t+c benefit changes, RAs had no Guaranteed foc Club Access, Club-Lounge was not needed to be mentioned as an excluded benefit in paragraph 8.

Once Europe+Americas switched to new +2cat&Lounge from late Feb2017, paragraph 8. was then amended to exclude Club-Lounge for RAs on award nights, which though unfortunate was fair enough. I'd guess for upto 2-3weeks late Jan to early Feb before paragraph 8 caught up, RAs could argue for foc Lounge on award nights, but that was never an intended benefit change.
Some properties give it, I have had it at the IC O2 for instance in the past, not tried it recently mind you.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by scubaccr
....paragraph 8. was then amended to exclude Club-Lounge for RAs on award nights, which though unfortunate was fair enough.
Just wondered why you believe cutting benefits on reward nights is "fair".

OK, it's their game, and their rules: but leaving only a free newspaper as an RA benefit on reward nights seems to me unreasonable. I'm not sure if fairness comes into it.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Just wondered why you believe cutting benefits on reward nights is "fair".

OK, it's their game, and their rules: but leaving only a free newspaper as an RA benefit on reward nights seems to me unreasonable. I'm not sure if fairness comes into it.
Im with you here. Reward nights should get benefits too in my opinion.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lewis42
That is true across the whole of IHG, it is ludicrous that benefits aren't formally given although my personal track record there is good for RA and spire, even had lounge access regularly at the IC O2.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by Lewis42
Absolutely. I just saw this disappointing award stay RA report:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28678280-post168.html

Still considering to go for RA. But this would be a reason for me to not do it. Ok, I do not expect it at the Carlton, no problem. It is a unique hotel. And the Amstel is not the only option for me in Amsterdam. But if it is a general policy now to exclude reward stays from the benefits...

I do book Club rooms on business stays at ICs from time to time if the rate is good but do not use it over the day or in the evening for food and drinks, but to meet someone or to work. Small breakfast yes, The Club Lounge would be a benefit I would use on holidays stays for breakfast and maybe for a glass of wine or champagne evening before I go for dinner. Neither I use it extensively when I pay for it nor would as an RA benefit on reward stays, I am no one hanging around in lounges during holidays. I spend a lot at IC hotels also on reward stays. Comp. Club access would not change that, but improving the luxury stay experience, feeling well.

It is an unfair treatment. Paid is paid - cash or points - RA is RA - IHG cannot treat their most loyal and generous guests one time so, and one time so.

In case it is general policy now, I will again, and I considered to go that RA way many times (despite the recent discussion about the "hidden secrets" how to achieve it), and maybe this time finally, discard that option. Hoping for good news that everything will be good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.