Wiki Posts
Search

Benefits of IC Ambassador Status when I have Spire

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG AMB/Spire, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Benefits of IC Ambassador Status when I have Spire

I travel a lot for work and can usually get Spire status with stays fairly easily while staying at HI and HIX properties with an occasional CP mixed in, but no IC stays. I have around 500,000 points and plan to do some traveling in the next year or so and would look to use some of the points at nicer IC properties.

One trip could see 6-8 nights or more at IC properties. For the $200/year I do not mind purchasing the AMB status if there is value on point stays? Would they honor things like 4pm check out, room upgrade, fruit basket, etc? I am eyeing the south pacific, mostly NZ and French Polynesia (Tahiti and Bora Bora).

I am assuming stays at HI properties (everything but IC) would not honor anything from the AMB list of benefits, and vice versa, IC does not care I am Spire, correct?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 1:07 pm

Currently pretty unclear how spire is valued or will be valued, but Ambassador itself is a pretty good status without any loyality requiered. Unfortunately we forget that quiet often, while comparing us to others.
In many CPs you might get a better recognition of your status, but will it be the better leisure stay compared to an IC? -- only case by case, city by city comparisons may help for a decision.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat Amb
The programs are different with different benefits, but some have said they've gotten benefits at one or the other - like an upgrade at an IC without Amb. That shouldn't be expected though. You can see all the details at the IHG Rewards website.

The Terms and Conditions from the IHG Amb site state:
When staying on Reward Nights, all Ambassador and Royal Ambassador Privileges apply with the exception of upgrades, Club Lounge access (Royal Ambassadors), Mini bar beverages (Royal Ambassadors), free Pay-TV film per stay, 24-hour guaranteed room availability and, 8:00 am early check-in (where a cost is applicable). A Rewards Night booking must be booked under the IHG Rewards Club account of the member for him/her to enjoy the benefits.

I've heard that some people get upgrades and maybe some other things even on reward/point stays, but don't count on it. It just depends.

For the two ICs you've mentioned, search for the discussion just on them. You'll get a lot of info on what people got or can expect. I find those specific discussions very helpful.
Happy travels!

Last edited by Lenflyer64; Feb 17, 2017 at 1:42 pm Reason: Info on point stays
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lenflyer64
The programs are different with different benefits, but some have said they've gotten benefits at one or the other - like an upgrade at an IC without Amb. That shouldn't be expected though. You can see all the details at the IHG Rewards website.

The Terms and Conditions from the IHG Amb site state:
When staying on Reward Nights, all Ambassador and Royal Ambassador Privileges apply with the exception of upgrades, Club Lounge access (Royal Ambassadors), Mini bar beverages (Royal Ambassadors), free Pay-TV film per stay, 24-hour guaranteed room availability and, 8:00 am early check-in (where a cost is applicable). A Rewards Night booking must be booked under the IHG Rewards Club account of the member for him/her to enjoy the benefits.

I've heard that some people get upgrades and maybe some other things even on reward/point stays, but don't count on it. It just depends.

For the two ICs you've mentioned, search for the discussion just on them. You'll get a lot of info on what people got or can expect. I find those specific discussions very helpful.
Happy travels!
Thanks - very helpful. I am also Diamond with Hilton due to a status match in 2016 and that runs out March 2018. I have enough business travel to do Diamond with Hilton or Spire with IHG. I carry the Chase IHG card so I could always revert to Platinum, and due to my Hilton card I could fall back to Gold.

So trying to see what status I should chase this year. Maybe I should look into keeping IHG Plat, not going for Spire, and buying AMB status. So Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum and AMB. Having AMB would trump Spire I would assume on those award stays (Spire wouldnt offer much) and then I would have Hilton Diamond status.

Trying to logically think this one through!
Old Feb 19, 2017, 3:59 am

Spire (or Platinum) normally does not get you anything at ICs. And Spire in my experience is not worth much. Somewhat better rooms and occasionally club in a CP.

Ambassador usually does not get you anything in the other IHG brands.

Two completely different animals.

You need to calculate if the cost per night is worth the 200 $ for Ambassador, especially staying with points where he major benefit room upgrade does not apply.

You always can get lucky and get more, but don't count on it.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Agreed and that is what I need to figure out. It looks like maybe only 4 nights in an IC all on points and the rest would be CP or Hilton.

my hilton diamond expires in march 2018. Which is after this trip. So I may do IHG spire this year so on the trip (feb 2018) I have both spire and diamond since I have another 2-3 nights at Hilton properties.

Can i buy AMB status later and it's retroactive to bookings or so I need to be AMB While booking to get the benefits?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by eggzlot
Agreed and that is what I need to figure out. It looks like maybe only 4 nights in an IC all on points and the rest would be CP or Hilton.

my hilton diamond expires in march 2018. Which is after this trip. So I may do IHG spire this year so on the trip (feb 2018) I have both spire and diamond since I have another 2-3 nights at Hilton properties.

Can i buy AMB status later and it's retroactive to bookings or so I need to be AMB While booking to get the benefits?
Only need to be Amb when you stay. I have read here that some needed to let the hotel(s) know they are now Amb to ensure they know that before. For some hotels, they can upgrade you well before check-in. Once you get Amb, you should just let the hotels know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.