Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes, very.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked cheapest AAA rate and was upgraded to a Junior Suite.

How are the rooms?
The room was very modern, sleek and clean. The door opened up into a living area with a couch and TV, and then there is a separate bedroom with oversized bathroom.

How is the exec. lounge?
I was given access as an RA but I didn't have the chance to enjoy it.

Did you receive a welcome gift?
Besides the upgrade and club access I was given a $40 credit towards breakfast, either at the in-hotel restaurant or room service. I utilized it for room service which was nice. However, I was still responsible for paying tax and gratuity even though my total including both was only $34.

How was the minibar?
The minibar was weak. No champagne or sparkling. A few bud lights and heinekens. Red and white wine, but those small plastic type bottles they serve on airplanes. And just a few nips, maybe 6-8 of them if my memory serves me right.

What was good and what was bad?

-Good
The overall RA treatment was great. Access to the club and the $40 breakfast credit was a nice surprise. I also liked that this hotel has in-room movies, which is becoming a rare RA benefit these days.

-Bad
The minibar was boring. And the ironing board is mini. It's maybe a third of the full length and is meant to be used on a tabletop I think. As a 6'6" man it was a bit frustrating trying to iron my pants.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
Decent value at sub $200 nightly rates.

Would you return?
Absolutely.[/QUOTE]

It's a US property
With club lounge.
Modern interior.
IC San Francisco, maybe?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by nicolas75
Absolutely.
It's a US property
With club lounge.
Modern interior.
IC San Francisco, maybe?[/QUOTE]

Mentions the mini-bar being weak, but IC SF has a decent minibar IMO
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by turner32
It's a US property
With club lounge.
Modern interior.
IC San Francisco, maybe?
Mentions the mini-bar being weak, but IC SF has a decent minibar IMO [/QUOTE]

What suspense!

Place your bets!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

InterContinental Vienna

What is your IHG Rewards Club status?
Spire Royal Ambassador

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay
Yes, as usual.

Booked cheapest advance rate, and received a studio suite on club floor with club access.

How are the rooms?
Around 45sqm
Elegantly decorated.

Seating area and desk. Flat screen television with good selection of international channels.

Large closet with minibar, kettle and safebox.

Bedroom with comfortable bed. Flat screen television
Bathroom with bathtub, seperate toilets and walk-in shower.
Large bottles of Agraria products.

Very quiet. Very efficient air conditioning system.

View over the Stadtpark, Cathedral.

Bottle of wine and chocolates offered
Fast wifi.
Philips iPhone dock
Nespresso coffee machine in the room

How is the exec. lounge?
Quite large. Nice view over Vienna.
Good breakfast
Afternoon's tea with homemade cookies (yummy)
More basic hot evening spread
Drinks
2 PCs with printer
Very friendly service.
Peaceful atmopshere

Good
- Very friendly and professional staff, smiling and attentive service.
- Great location.
- New Parlor restaurant (received 20% discount for it)

Bad
- Wifi was not working properly in the club lounge (but excellent in the room)
- Some cleanliness issues (toilets, room's carpet, bedside rug)

Value for $ or IHG Rewards Club Points? Would you return?
Vienna is, with Berlin and Amstel, one of my favourite ICs in Europe.

Video of the Studio suite

Pictures of the city

Pictures of the hotel
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Absolutely.
It's a US property
With club lounge.
Modern interior.
IC San Francisco, maybe?[/QUOTE]

Mentions the mini-bar being weak, but IC SF has a decent minibar IMO
What suspense!

Place your bets![/QUOTE]

Glad I could give everyone a chuckle. It was the IC Cleveland.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66

Glad I could give everyone a chuckle. It was the IC Cleveland.

Thanks
Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:14 pm
Suspended

InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam

What is your IHG Rewards Club status?
Spire Royal Ambassador

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay
Yes, very

Booked and received two-bedroom Club Ocean View villa

How are the rooms?
Large villa, two-storey with living/dining on top floor and two bedrooms and ensuites on lower floor. Larger bedroom has King bed and smaller two singles. Both floors had large decks, upper floor deck with loungers, table and chairs, day bed. Elegant Thai style decoration throughout.

The dining table seated eight. Large wall unit contained minibar, storage for cups and glasses, Nespresso machine (can't remember the brand but similar to Nespresso). Also included a wine fridge - chargeable. Additional to the minibar were a selection of 20cl spirits, only available once as RA amenity.

Also received a complimentary bottle of wine from the GM, as I had known him from IC Singapore.

How is the exec. lounge?
No lounge but Club provides free return airport transport, breakfast in restaurant or room, afternoon tea and evening cocktails. Afternoon tea and evening cocktails are accompanied by a small selection of canapés delivered to the table.

Good
- Outstanding service and attention from staff at all levels. Only one minor hiccup with room service, which was corrected promptly.
- Views are spectacular from the reception, lobby lounge and outdoor Air Bar
- RA treatment excellent (I knew there would be no upgrade, did a deal on price)
- Minibar included 20cl bottles
- Good wifi

Bad
- Nothing. Some people might not like the need to go everywhere by buggy due to the hilly layout, but they were plentiful and prompt.

Value for $ or IHG Rewards Club Points? Would you return?
I chose an expensive room but would definitely say we got value for the money. Yes would return.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
IC Athenaeum Athens

Sort of

Booked King Bed Superior View Room on Govt Rate, received KING BED CLUB INTERCONTINENTAL ROOM. Asked for Acropolis view via email ahead of time but was politely told that I already received a double upgrade. If I wanted Acropolis view, I'd need to pay 28 euros/night. Really? I think this is kind of lame, but I guess they are sticking to the new T&C and are very strict about the double upgrade? I still question as to whether it is really a double upgrade, though. Happy to have Club access, though.

How are the rooms?
I did get a room on the 9th floor, which was nicer for the city view (I guess). It is a decent size room with an area with a couch and desk. There are actually two sets of windows, which really keeps down street noise. The room I received had a really weird smell when I arrived. But after running the AC, it seemed to have disappeared.

How is the exec. lounge?
Beautiful terrace with views of the Acropolis. Breakfast was great - lots of variety - a different hot egg dish everyday. The evening cocktail hour was hit or miss on food. There was always cheese and bread and many sweet options. I don't eat meat and some nights, there were almost all meat options and no vegetables in sight (raw or otherwise). Other nights had seafood and veggie options. Decent wine selections, several beer options, lots of liquor. All self serve.

Besides the normal fruit and water, received two types of sesame honey bars. Water was replaced daily (large bottle with the fruit)

How was the minibar?
Probably worst mini bar I have seen since I've become RA! Two Heinekens, no wine, some mini liquors (had JW Black initially, but it got replaced with JW red then back to black again), 4 sodas, 1 OJ, 1 tonic, 1 sparkling water. I think since I've been RA this is one of the mini bars I barely touched.

-Good:
--Club Lounge upgrade with views from terrace
--Shuttle that goes to Syntagma and back (every half hour in the morning, hourly later in the day); hotel is a bit of a trek from city center (which I was aware of prior to booking)
--Overall, the staff is friendly - I actually found the concierge in the lobby a bit more helpful than the Club staff. A lot of times there wasn't even anyone in the Club Lounge to ask a question to because they were busy refilling the buffet and clearing plates, talking to other guests, or just not around.
-- Korres shampoo/conditioner, etc. Happy to see no Agraria Products!!

-Bad
-- The upgrade was lame. Still can't believe RAs can't get an Acropolis view w/o paying extra if initial booking was Superior View. Disappointing
-- Minimal RA recognition overall
-- No coffee maker in room, just instant and only 2 regular Lipton tea bags in room
-- No toothpaste in the "with compliments" box
-- No wine in the mini bar!!

Yes, definitely a good deal at 138 euros/night

Would you return?
Yes, as RA I would return. But if not RA, would stay elsewhere
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by VaBeachGirl
Sort of

Booked King Bed Superior View Room on Govt Rate, received KING BED CLUB INTERCONTINENTAL ROOM. Asked for Acropolis view via email ahead of time but was politely told that I already received a double upgrade. If I wanted Acropolis view, I'd need to pay 28 euros/night. Really? I think this is kind of lame, but I guess they are sticking to the new T&C and are very strict about the double upgrade? I still question as to whether it is really a double upgrade, though. Happy to have Club access, though.

How are the rooms?
I did get a room on the 9th floor, which was nicer for the city view (I guess). It is a decent size room with an area with a couch and desk. There are actually two sets of windows, which really keeps down street noise. The room I received had a really weird smell when I arrived. But after running the AC, it seemed to have disappeared.

How is the exec. lounge?
Beautiful terrace with views of the Acropolis. Breakfast was great - lots of variety - a different hot egg dish everyday. The evening cocktail hour was hit or miss on food. There was always cheese and bread and many sweet options. I don't eat meat and some nights, there were almost all meat options and no vegetables in sight (raw or otherwise). Other nights had seafood and veggie options. Decent wine selections, several beer options, lots of liquor. All self serve.

Besides the normal fruit and water, received two types of sesame honey bars. Water was replaced daily (large bottle with the fruit)

How was the minibar?
Probably worst mini bar I have seen since I've become RA! Two Heinekens, no wine, some mini liquors (had JW Black initially, but it got replaced with JW red then back to black again), 4 sodas, 1 OJ, 1 tonic, 1 sparkling water. I think since I've been RA this is one of the mini bars I barely touched.

-Good:
--Club Lounge upgrade with views from terrace
--Shuttle that goes to Syntagma and back (every half hour in the morning, hourly later in the day); hotel is a bit of a trek from city center (which I was aware of prior to booking)
--Overall, the staff is friendly - I actually found the concierge in the lobby a bit more helpful than the Club staff. A lot of times there wasn't even anyone in the Club Lounge to ask a question to because they were busy refilling the buffet and clearing plates, talking to other guests, or just not around.
-- Korres shampoo/conditioner, etc. Happy to see no Agraria Products!!

-Bad
-- The upgrade was lame. Still can't believe RAs can't get an Acropolis view w/o paying extra if initial booking was Superior View. Disappointing
-- Minimal RA recognition overall
-- No coffee maker in room, just instant and only 2 regular Lipton tea bags in room
-- No toothpaste in the "with compliments" box
-- No wine in the mini bar!!

Yes, definitely a good deal at 138 euros/night

Would you return?
Yes, as RA I would return. But if not RA, would stay elsewhere
I think with the new T+C's we're going to see a lot of this with room categories. IC Berlin started this by introducing "View" sub categories to screw up the upgrade options and punish us for having to give us lounge access. Really? A view of what? Some trees or the street?
If this is the way the hotel's are going to be, then they should open up their room inventories to allow 2-level upgrades to high end suites, too.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:56 am

I think with the new T+C's we're going to see a lot of this with room categories. IC Berlin started this by introducing "View" sub categories to screw up the upgrade options and punish us for having to give us lounge access. Really? A view of what? Some trees or the street?
If this is the way the hotel's are going to be, then they should be made to open up their room inventories to allow 2-level upgrades to high end suites, too.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
If this is the way the hotel's are going to be, then they should open up their room inventories to allow 2-level upgrades to high end suites, too.
This is a bit unfair. The Acropolis view rooms were always separate categories and really have a special view. This is a property were club is typically only a few euros extra on the room rate.

I think booking the cheapest room and expecting the best has never been a great strategy as a RA.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: *G at A3,TK;M&M,LM; IHG RA, AB Plat.
Originally Posted by VaBeachGirl
I also had to pay 28 Eur last year on paid and point nights to get Acropolis View.

The CP Athens may be an alternative, if you get free club access there.
BF at rooftop restaurant, snacks all day and drinks from 6pm till midnight.
Room prices from 100-150 Eur.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
This is a bit unfair. The Acropolis view rooms were always separate categories and really have a special view. This is a property were club is typically only a few euros extra on the room rate.

I think booking the cheapest room and expecting the best has never been a great strategy as a RA.
Fair enough. I'm just wary that some hotels will try to game the upgrades. I think it depends on the property as to whether booking cheapest room is a decent RA strategy. Many North American IC's will provide an executive suite plus club from entry-level room bookings. I think that will do the trick for many RA's unless of course, they want a specific room or suite beyond this.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
IC Boston

Yes. Amazing as always. I've stayed at this hotel many times and have received amazing upgrades including their Ambassador Suite, both Penthouse Suites and the Presidential Suite, which is incredible. This hotel is consistently spectacular. Rooms and service are always amazing...other ICs should train here.

Booked 2 queen water view room on AAA rate. Cheapest room type available. Upgraded to Executive Suite with club access.

How are the rooms?
The Executive Suite is spacious. You walk into a living room with couch, chairs, TV and desk. Down the hallway is bathroom and large bedroom. Rooms are always spotless and very well maintained. Luxurious feel.

How is the exec. lounge?
The lounge is one of the best in the US and rivals many abroad. The staff (Charles and Dagmar) especially always welcome me by name and ask about my family, etc. There are always snacks out and a fridge stocked with drinks. Breakfast has all the hot food items you would want and an omelette station sometimes, lunch has a nice selection of sandwiches, and dinner usually has 2 hot appetizers, some finger foods, and a full self-serve bar.

The standard fruit, some pastries, and a welcome card.

How was the minibar?
Minibar here is one of the best. Two bottles of Simi (one red, one white), a half bottle of Moet, a half bottle of Ketel One, many high end nips including 4 Grey Goose, and some local beers and other standard items.

-Good
Everything.

-Bad
Nothing.

Prices here can get pretty high ($500-$600) but I was able to get a room for just under $300 which I consider a great value.

Would you return?[/QUOTE]
Yes, can't wait.

Last edited by TravelTheWorld66; Jan 18, 2017 at 6:33 pm Reason: Adding hotel name (again)
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: IHG Spire Royal Ambassador, Le Club Accor Gold, Shangrila Golden Circles Diamond
Grand IC Parnas - Seoul

Grand IC Parnas - Seoul

Yes.

It was my first stay as Royal Ambassador.
I booked a Junior Suite and got upgraded to a Club Residence Suite [This Represents a 1 Category Upgrade only].
I got the same room upgrade as i used to get as Ambassador (aside from lounge access and mini bar). The welcome letter in the room also mentioned one category upgrade only as RA perk

How are the rooms?
The Residence Suite is very spacious (80sqm).
One Bedroom, One Living Room, One dressing, 2 separate Bathrooms with shower and bathtubs.

How is the exec. lounge?
Located on the 26th floor. Spacious, good selection of food for breakfast.
Cocktail was quite good too.
Impeccable staff

Fruits, chocolates, 2 bottles of mineral water and a small room scent.

How was the minibar?
Two 150ml bottles of wine (one red, one white), 4 beers, 1 Mini Jack Daniel, Mini VSOP Cognac, Mini Chivas, as well as water, juices, and sodas.
Minibar was refilled once (in 3 nights stay).

-Good
Everything.

-Bad
Nothing.

Paid a bit less than 300$ per night. Good Value

Would you return?
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.