Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Programs to earn IHG points

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2016, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs to earn IHG points

I'm working really hard to earn points for our trip to London next year. We have the IHG credit card (and that's really a big earner!) and I also do surveys for E-Rewards, which I redeem rewards for IHG points.

What are other ways we can earn besides staying at a hotel or dining?

Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by gkrnjlr
I'm working really hard to earn points for our trip to London next year. We have the IHG credit card (and that's really a big earner!) and I also do surveys for E-Rewards, which I redeem rewards for IHG points.

What are other ways we can earn besides staying at a hotel or dining?

Thanks!
Check your email to see if you received a bonus offer. I got one yesterday for 100% bonus on purchases points.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Club, Marriott Rewards
Hi "gkrnjlr". I recently earned a good amount of points when i rented a vehicle. I believe you can also earn points by booking cruises through the website, though i have not tried it and would be afraid to as I prefer to book my cruises directly with cruise lines. IHG used to have a portal, where you could shop from places like Walmart & Target and earn additional points for buying online though I believe its been done away with (Marriott still has it and the Marriott card has a great welcome bonus right now).

Please tell me, has the E-Rewards thing been lucrative for you? Ill have to look into it. If I were you, id get the Marriott card and if i send you a link, ill earn points too on your sign up, so let me know if we can work that out. I dont think there is any better route to points then the IHG credit card.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sleuth
Check your email to see if you received a bonus offer. I got one yesterday for 100% bonus on purchases points.
I didn't get that email. I did see that several people on this board did.

Originally Posted by StevensFirstPrints
Hi "gkrnjlr". I recently earned a good amount of points when i rented a vehicle. I believe you can also earn points by booking cruises through the website, though i have not tried it and would be afraid to as I prefer to book my cruises directly with cruise lines. IHG used to have a portal, where you could shop from places like Walmart & Target and earn additional points for buying online though I believe its been done away with (Marriott still has it and the Marriott card has a great welcome bonus right now).

Please tell me, has the E-Rewards thing been lucrative for you? Ill have to look into it. If I were you, id get the Marriott card and if i send you a link, ill earn points too on your sign up, so let me know if we can work that out. I dont think there is any better route to points then the IHG credit card.
Thanks! We do have the Marriott card. It really is a good one. I have more points with IHG right now that it'd be hard to play catchup now.

E-Rewards has been VERY good to me! Are you familiar with the program? You earn "dollars" on their website. You do the surveys and then can "purchase" (with E-Rewards dollars) various things. I always get the IHG points. For $30 ERD you can get 1,000 points. For $60 you can get 2200 IHG points. I have been able to cash out on ER about once every other week. The perk to the surveys are (some are just boring....) is that if there's a new product on the market they'll send you a full size sample to try AND pay you (ERD) for your opinions on it. If you're already familiar with E-Rewards I just rambled on for nothing. (Sorry!)

We do have an out of town visit to see my family coming up. Maybe we will look into renting a car for that trip.

Thanks for all the help!
Old Jun 23, 2016, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Virgin Atlantic - 1 to 1 transfer and counts for status

Stock up on Virgin credit cards and cards with points that convert to Virgin Atlantic
Old Jun 23, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Raffles
Virgin Atlantic - 1 to 1 transfer and counts for status

Stock up on Virgin credit cards and cards with points that convert to Virgin Atlantic
Did not know about this one. Too bad I just got a BofA card and have seven inq on EX, otherwise I'd jump on it.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by gkrnjlr
I didn't get that email. I did see that several people on this board did.
I didn't get the email either, but I was looking at the purchase points page yesterday because I was about 4,000 points short for a stay that my wife was planning, and the page had a blurb that said

"You've revealed a bonus of 100% more points on your purchase! Buy points today and get the award you want sooner than ever. This offer ends on July 18, 2016."

So it might be worth checking out.

In my case, I can buy 2,000 (1000+1000 free) points for $13.50 ($0.00675/point), up to 120,000 points (60k+60k) for $690 ($0.00575/point)
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I didn't get the email either, but I was looking at the purchase points page yesterday because I was about 4,000 points short for a stay that my wife was planning, and the page had a blurb that said

"You've revealed a bonus of 100% more points on your purchase! Buy points today and get the award you want sooner than ever. This offer ends on July 18, 2016."

So it might be worth checking out.

In my case, I can buy 2,000 (1000+1000 free) points for $13.50 ($0.00675/point), up to 120,000 points (60k+60k) for $690 ($0.00575/point)
I do have a bonus posted there! Thanks! It's only 50% but that still helps.

Thanks!
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:13 am

Wow, thank you so much "gkrnjlr" for the info on E Rewards. I am struggling to get surveys at this point though I seem to get more when I use mobile?
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StevensFirstPrints
Wow, thank you so much "gkrnjlr" for the info on E Rewards. I am struggling to get surveys at this point though I seem to get more when I use mobile?
You're welcome!
With the app....try it first thing every morning. I usually get 1 or 2 in the mornings (when it's not convenient and I'm trying to get ready for the day) but then also if you click on old survey invites that will give you additional surveys every so often, too.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
It makes much more sense to convert E-Rewards into a more valuable mileage currency such as Avios or Alaska miles.

On the U.S. version, "$100" = 4,000 IHG points or 3,000 Avios (Iberia Plus) or 2,000 Alaska miles. There's no question in my mind that 3,000 Avios or 2,000 AS miles are way more valuable than 4,000 IHG points...
Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:14 pm

Thank you Craigthemif. I dont fly but love my IHG so i think ill have to go with IHG points, though I know ill eventually need some airline points.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
It makes much more sense to convert E-Rewards into a more valuable mileage currency such as Avios or Alaska miles.

On the U.S. version, "$100" = 4,000 IHG points or 3,000 Avios (Iberia Plus) or 2,000 Alaska miles. There's no question in my mind that 3,000 Avios or 2,000 AS miles are way more valuable than 4,000 IHG points...
That is a pretty good conversion rate for those who would use it. I'm a die hard Delta fan and have the perks with their card or I would consider Alaska Airlines.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Every person has different travel needs, and I find it more useful right now to take the elite-qualifying points with IHG.

Last edited by beachmouse; Jun 26, 2016 at 8:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.