Wiki Posts
Search

Indigo Paris Opera CC issue

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Indigo Paris Opera CC issue

So I had booked 2 award nights here and one paid just in case my annual free night doesn't come in time and space is sold out. This is for November travel and I get a phone call from a European number (french obviously) today and its someone from the hotel telling me that my card is not going through. I asked why they would be charging anything so early since I booked a fully refundable night and he said that its just their random pre-authorizing to make sure its a valid credit card.

I have never heard of this and plus I used my IHG card so i KNOW its valid.

I told him if there was a way I can change it online (as I am not abut to read off my CC over the phone) and he said yes , i said great ill do it that way as I am not sure why the card won't go through since its your hotel card.

Has anybody had this happen to them? I want to think its a false call but really he had the last 4 of my card and read me my reservation dates. Its the IHG card and i know it works as I just used it this afternoon. Could it be because they are trying to charge it in a foreign country?

I was just going to let it go and see if they call again but I would hate to loose my reservation just in case.

Anybody else had any issues here?
Old Jun 15, 2016, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
The easiest way would be to send an email to the hotel to get more information (I had a similar issue with IC Beijing with my credit card, which was said to be rejected despite Amex said they did not see any try of transaction on it).
Old Jun 15, 2016, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nicolas75
The easiest way would be to send an email to the hotel to get more information (I had a similar issue with IC Beijing with my credit card, which was said to be rejected despite Amex said they did not see any try of transaction on it).
Thank. I actually just cancelled the reservation and rebooked the 3 days on points so problem solved lol
Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:00 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by miadukes
So I had booked 2 award nights here and one paid just in case my annual free night doesn't come in time and space is sold out. This is for November travel and I get a phone call from a European number (french obviously) today and its someone from the hotel telling me that my card is not going through. I asked why they would be charging anything so early since I booked a fully refundable night and he said that its just their random pre-authorizing to make sure its a valid credit card.

I have never heard of this and plus I used my IHG card so i KNOW its valid.

I told him if there was a way I can change it online (as I am not abut to read off my CC over the phone) and he said yes , i said great ill do it that way as I am not sure why the card won't go through since its your hotel card.

Has anybody had this happen to them? I want to think its a false call but really he had the last 4 of my card and read me my reservation dates. Its the IHG card and i know it works as I just used it this afternoon. Could it be because they are trying to charge it in a foreign country?

I was just going to let it go and see if they call again but I would hate to loose my reservation just in case.

Anybody else had any issues here?
Sounds more a scam than anything. Definitely correct to not do anything over a phone call you did not initiate yourself.

Myself I would have asked for there name/position/extension and used another phone to call hotel back on published general number to ensure it is a bonafide call from hotel.

I am sure many guests on flex cancel before arrival (or even 4pm day of arrival) provide invalid cancelled card numbers or self-load card numbers with almost zero balances.
Then when guest fails to arrive and doesnt first cancel, hotel can not collect the 1night fee the following morning.

I know one UK HIE hotel that if flex booking 4pm day of arrival, preauths provided CC at 1550 on day of arrival and if rejected immediately cancels your booking and relists room without contacting guest, Plus maes no difference if you are elite or stayed last week with the hotel.
Catches guests out, is really annoying as no other nearby hotels, and as usually sold out, in demand, relisted room is snapped up within minutes of 4pm by those needing a room there.
When guest reaches reception , hotels view s not our problem, room not guaranteed for arrival after pm as no valid CC so your fault, and we resold room, sorry no other hotels locally sort one yourself.
Can even happen whilst you are queing at reception there that your room is cancelled for invalid CC
Old Jun 16, 2016, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Sounds more a scam than anything. Definitely correct to not do anything over a phone call you did not initiate yourself.

Myself I would have asked for there name/position/extension and used another phone to call hotel back on published general number to ensure it is a bonafide call from hotel.

I am sure many guests on flex cancel before arrival (or even 4pm day of arrival) provide invalid cancelled card numbers or self-load card numbers with almost zero balances.
Then when guest fails to arrive and doesnt first cancel, hotel can not collect the 1night fee the following morning.

I know one UK HIE hotel that if flex booking 4pm day of arrival, preauths provided CC at 1550 on day of arrival and if rejected immediately cancels your booking and relists room without contacting guest, Plus maes no difference if you are elite or stayed last week with the hotel.
Catches guests out, is really annoying as no other nearby hotels, and as usually sold out, in demand, relisted room is snapped up within minutes of 4pm by those needing a room there.
When guest reaches reception , hotels view s not our problem, room not guaranteed for arrival after pm as no valid CC so your fault, and we resold room, sorry no other hotels locally sort one yourself.
Can even happen whilst you are queing at reception there that your room is cancelled for invalid CC

I didn't get more info because I was on a call at work on hold but took this one since it was a europe number. But I agree, it smelled very scammy to me.

That has only happened to me once and its always Choice hotels that charge my card before I even check in. It's really annoying actually. I was in Santa Monica and had used a different card to reserve and I dont remember if it changed or whatever but I literally was biking in the boardwalk and had not much on me and the desk was like we will cancel your reservation and I was like Dude, its not even the time that the reservation says I have to cancel by, im literally on a bike. I had to call back a little bit later when I got to my car but it was annoying as heck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.