Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2010)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2010, 4:20 am

Programs: JGC-P, OW Emerald, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter
People give really good RA reports for stays at the IC at O'Hare if you want to consider still going
+1, Have stayed both and had bad experience with the one in downtown. Got 10K PC points at the end after I complained with Amb service desk.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 8:52 am

Programs: IHG
IC Cologne

What is your PC Status?
RA

What room did you book and what did you receive?
Cheapest room Sweet Dilema reward night, I was offered a suite but asked if I could swap it for a standard room with Club access. This was agreed so I did not get to see the original room.
The concierge desk was unmanned and there were no bellboys so we carried our own bags to the room.

How are the rooms?
I was disappointed and would describe the rooms as shabby.
Agreed it's an old hotel but our room needed a major refurbishment.

What was your welcome gift/
None received

Did you receive fruit in the room?
No

How was the club lounge?
On the 7th floor and unmanned at 2pm. I tried to make a Latte but there was no milk in the coffee machine so I made a pot of tea only to discover there was no cold milk either.

The following morning when my wife and I were eating breakfast I was aksed for my room number. The guy went away for a moment and then returned and said were not entitled to eat here and should take breakfast downstairs, causing embarrassment in front of other guests.

Maybe this was because we had a standard room on the 6th floor, not a 7th floor club room.

I politely asked him to check again which he did but did not return. I approached him 5 minutes later and asked if he had contacted reception to which he replied "Yes, it's ok now".

What was good?
Good location, easy to walk to shops, river, restaurants etc.
Reception staff were helpful and friendly. Complimentary mini bar drinks were granted along with free movie.

What was bad?
Club service, unmanned concierge desk, old carpets, very old bathroom.

Value for money?
With Club access and free mini bar this was exceptional value but as a paying guest I would be reluctant to return here.

Additional comment
Guests must to pay a "mandatory" 5% City/Culture/Tourist tax, even on reward nights.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 2:03 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
IC Paris Marceau

IC Paris Marceau

What is your PC Status?
RA

What room did you book and what did you receive?
Booked executive, got suite with terrace.

How are the rooms?
Wonderfully designed room: It isn't overly large (probably 50 sqm), fairly large bathroom with large bathtub (bathrooms in other rooms are a tad tiny).
I did like the chique-elegant furniture, although I'm not a big fan of "design hotels".
Two sets of 200ml Hermès toiletries.
Nice (albeit smallish) terrace with view over Paris with chairs and some sunloungers. Great in the warmer months.
Seating area.

What was your welcome gift?
Bottle of Taittinger ^
Macarons (Fauchon) ^

What was good?
Upgrade and treatment was perfect.
Staff was wonderful, always greeted by name
Concierge was excellent, recommended a great restaurant and made serveral reservations for us, got us "side-entrance" tickets for Musée d'Orsay (skipping the long line).

What was bad?
-

Value for money?
Will certainly return. Value in Paris Hotels? Oh well...

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Dec 30, 2010 at 2:10 pm
Old Dec 31, 2010, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by midnight
IC Cologne

Additional comment
Guests must to pay a "mandatory" 5% City/Culture/Tourist tax, even on reward nights.
5% of what on a reward night?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
5% of what on a reward night?
5% of the room rate charged to PC, plus 7% government tax.

I have a receipt for it.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 7:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz Gold / Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Plat / Marriott Gold / IC RA / SPG Plat
Originally Posted by midnight
5% of the room rate charged to PC, plus 7% government tax.

I have a receipt for it.
you have been ripped off!...id take this up with the management and get them to refund you. See section 2 in Priority Club's Terms & Conditions@

"Each reward is valid only for a double or king room for one night and tax. Reward Night reservations may be booked for multiple hotel rooms (less than 10) on the same stay date at the same property provided the Priority Club Rewards member number is recorded on each reservation and the required points are redeemed for each room. Rooms are limited, subject to prior sale and availability of allocated resources and may be unavailable during high demand periods."
Old Dec 31, 2010, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Goonerfish
you have been ripped off!...id take this up with the management and get them to refund you...."
Many thanks for your comments Goonerfish, originally I agreed with your views but the hotel is actually making a legitimate charge.

Only standard room taxes are paid by PC, separate city taxes are not covered.

Cologne introduced a City Art & Culture Tax on 1st October 2010 which inturn attracts 7% government VAT. http://www.stadt-koeln.de/1/stadtfinanzen/06826/

There is a dedicated thread on the subject.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...rd-stay-2.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.