Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2010)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2004, 7:23 am
Original Poster

I thought I start a thread to post Royal Ambassador experiences:

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
- Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
- How are the rooms?
- How is the exec. lounge?
- What was good and what was bad?
- Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?

Moderators Notice:
Newer Posts could be found in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...periences.html

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum
Old Jan 1, 2010, 7:10 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Inter-Continental Hua Hin

Were you happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes, very much

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked a Deluxe room when the hotel became available for online booking at ICHG website at a fully flexible rate slightly below opening special of 3.9K THB per night (got global corp discount, but missed out on the free breakfast for sake of flexibility). Also used a BOGO, no issues.

I was initially told that upgrade for RA would be Oceanview Deluxe room and based on that raised the whole RA upgrade issue with them and asked to review and possibly rethink the policy (as documented in IC Hua Hin thread).

Received a King Pool Terrace room and was very happy with it.

How are the rooms?
The room is very nice IMHO, brand new, spacious with nice tasteful furnishings, nice bathroom with a free-standing bathtub and a separate walk-in shower. Good and comfortable bed facing the terrace. There is a 37" (IIRC) flat screen TV and a Bose radio/ CD player.

The sliding doors open to the terrace which itself leads you directly into a pool that is shared with 5 other Pool Terrace rooms. There is a day bed outside and a table with two chairs plus two nice sun loungers. You have a fan outside where the day bed is and a screen that can be moved up and down to block out the sun. Toiletries are L Occitane.

One comment, if you have small kids this room is not for you as they can plunge straight into the 1.4m deep water.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A.

What was good/bad?
Good:
- Overall I think the resort is very well done. Nicely laid out with the main building shielding you from the road (that is if you don't have a room in there ), three storeyed wings flanking each side and nice main pool area towards the beach. MY GF is an architect who designs resorts and quite picky and even she did approve of it . Overall my impression is that the owner went for quality over quantity which is nice. The place only has 119 rooms after all.
- Pleasant beach in front of the hotel and pretty quiet and low hassle (some guys may try to offer you a ride on a horse on the beach but that's pretty much it.
- Good RA upgrade if policy stays with the two levels. Not sure how the new Garden Terrace category will feature into this but could be that one needs to book Oceanview to get Pool Terrace in the future.
-Quality of food in the resorts restaurants is very good. We had room service and ate at the Italian restaurant and the food was very well done. However, for Thai or Seafood I would go eat outside as there are many great places in Hua Hin (also will save you a lot of $$$)
- Amb gift was a plate with some nice chocolates and we also got the obligatory fruit plate
- Internet is free and appears to be stabilizing but acess can be weak in some corners
- Staff is very friendly and trying hard

Bad: Well per se our stay was great, but if I want to be picky it would be the following:
- No newspaper delivered throughout my stay
- Every day I had to call to get the minibar restocked and some items like the Erdinger Weissbier, Perrier, or the local Mango & Grape juices were not available (there is no hard liquor available in the minibar which maybe a turn off to some so you better buy it at the Duty Free if that is your thing)
- English language skills are 'shaky' at best with many staff members struggling
- Overall price levels at the resort are high. Yes I know it is a 5* resort but even leaving a comparision with outside restaurants aside I checked prices of room service against the IC BKK and dishes are around 1/3rd more IMO when you add in service charge and tax. I compared the Italian hotel restaurant against our Xmas dinner at the Four Seasons BKK excellent Italian restaurant Biscotti and prices are on par. The Spa is a whole story to itself with masage prices on par with 5* hotel spa prices in Singapore (e.g. 1hr massage at 2.8K THB + 17%)

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Lovely place to stay at and very decent RA treatment given the place was packed for the holidays. I hope they will manage to iron out some smaller kincks and this will be a great resort to return to. I surely will if room rates don't go thjrough the roof.

Last edited by demue; Jan 1, 2010 at 7:19 am
Old Jan 1, 2010, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA/EP, PC/RA
IC Las Angeles Century City

Yes

Booked a standard room received a executive suite, was told it was a doubled upgrade.

How are the rooms?
The room was on the 10th floor and was pretty big, with a living and dining area, but the bedroom feels a bit cramped, and the bath room feels like a 3 star hotel's. But the best part about the room was defiantly, the giant balcony, that overlooks the fountain on Ave of the stars, downtown LA, and the Hollywood sign in the distance, and it has a few lounge chairs for sitting in the sun.

How is the exec. lounge?
No lounge

What was good/bad?
Good:
Nice upgrade, pretty good mini bar, and free Internet. Plus, i stayed there two days before new years, and the Oregon football team playing in the rose bawl was staying at the hotel, so that was pretty cool, too bad I'm not a football fan.

Bad:
Valet parking only, and i felt pretty bad when giving the rental Kia to the valet, plus the $36 dollar charge is highway robbery.
The lack of a lounge is a bit minus, and they didn't comp breakfast either.

Its not that bad, but given the good deals on nearby hotels, its probably a bit over priced at $200, probably would like to try out some other hotels in the area.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 10:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2MM; Hilton Diamond; IC Spire Ambassador
IC Houston

Yes, very!!

Booked a king club room and received a one-bedroom suite on the club (23rd) floor. The rate was approximately $120/night.

How are the rooms?

Very nice, with a decent sitting room with dining table, couch and chairs, etc., and a bedroom that is the size of an average room at this hotel, plus one and a half baths. The minibar had the usual Houston selection which includes a small split of champagne and splits of white and red wine. Internet was complimentary due to club room. Did not charge for snacks from minibar. RA recognition was good with three apples and a bottle of red wine, water replenished daily. I don't know if the upgrade to a suite is now standard, was because I reserved a club room (so that upgrade option was not available to the hotel), or just an exception to my experience the past couple of years. I sincerely hope it is the first possiblility.

How is the exec. lounge?

Very good and a pleasant surprise. The past several years over the holidays this lounge has been closed, and even when open it was not great. This year it was open with breakfast and happy hour spreads. These were not spectacular buffets, but sufficient. Breakfast had hard-boiled eggs, cheese and meats, yogurts, cereals, breads, lox, etc. Happy hour had two hot hors d'oeuvres each evening and a variety of other cold snacks. The attendants would bring you alcohol and, as we only had wine, I can't say much about the selection. What set the lounge apart was that there was excellent service at breakfast and at happy hour. Indeed, it was some of the most professional and attentive service I've experienced at an IC.

What was good/bad?

Good:

Nice upgrade, especially after four or five years of pretty minimal or no upgrades, receiving the typical RA upgrade to a suite made me very happy and renewed my loyalty to this IC. The club was very well run this trip, and I sincerely hope this is recognized as important to customer loyalty. The hotel itself is pretty nice and the location at the Galleria is very good for me. Free internet was a lagniappe.

Bad:

Not much. The minibar was not refilled every day, but that was more a function of us getting late starts on those days than the hotel overlooking us (the minibar person slipped a note under the door both days). I would add scrambled eggs or omelettes to the breakfast in the club, but that's not a huge deal for me either.

Houston is a very competitive market, so there has really been no excuse for this hotel to not fully recognize RA's in previous years. Especially now that they seem to be doing so again, I think it's a great value and will definitely return.

Last edited by Casimir; Jan 1, 2010 at 11:56 pm Reason: Misspelling
Old Jan 2, 2010, 3:29 pm

IC SYDNEY

NYE
happy with the stay yes
called 1 mth before NY and was offered opera/harbour room no club access for $A749

1 week later club opera showed
checked in at 3pm given opera view exec suite with club access
bottle of moet sent to room
paid drinks after 7pm lounge closed at 1am
great stay wish I had used a BOGO for second night.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
InterContinental Singapore

Difficult not to be happy

Booked a king club room and received the Presidential suite^

How are the rooms?

Simply amazing
280 sqm!!! Around 3.40m high ceilings
Bedroom, huge living room, huge boardroom, kitchen, bathroom with sauna and Jacuzzi
Very elegant decor, silk rugs, antiques, works of art
Superb view over the Marina Bay

How is the exec. lounge?
Large
Very nice old colonial decor
Excellent breakfast
Very good evening canapés
Afternoon tea
2 PCs + free wifi at the lounge
Magazines

With a late flight, it is possible to stay at the lounge after check out and have a shower at the fitness centre^

What was good/bad?

Good:

The property in itself has a lot of charm (the lobby - with piano bar - is superb, the outdoor pool is nice, service is excellent)
But with the presidential treatment, it is simply a lifetime memorable stay

Bad:

The check out

Simply amazing.
Royal Ambassador is definitely the best loyalty programme

Video

Last edited by nicolas75; Jan 5, 2010 at 2:12 am Reason: Added video
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:12 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

IC Amstel Amsterdam

Yes, very much!

Booked cheapest room on points, received Penthouse Suite. ^

How are the rooms?
Beautiful, very classy, very romantic. My wife said it feels a bit like staying in a castle. Duplex suite of about 700sqft. The lower level has an entry hall, a living room with a desk, and a restroom. The upper level has the bedroom, the bath, and a small balcony.

How is the exec. lounge?
No lounge

What was good/bad?
Good: Amazing upgrade on points. Very friendly staff.
Bad: 16 hour Thalys trip to get here (that's got to be a record for Paris-Amsterdam!) meant that we only got to enjoy the suite for 6 hours.

Great value!
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:24 pm

IC London

Yes.

Booked Executive Room, received 1-Br Suite

How are the rooms?
Nice suite on 8th floor, definitely on the smallish side (probably 450sqft). Great view of London Eye and Green Park/Buckingham Palace Gardens.

How is the exec. lounge?
Very nice view of Hyde Park, but we found the offerings somewhat lame (especially breakfast). Hardly worth the GBP50/60/90 upcharge if you just have breakfast and tea there.

What was good/bad?
Good: Good upgrade, friendly staff.
Bad: Club access should really be included for RAs.

Yes.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:53 pm

IC Istanbul

Yes.

Booked cheapest room, received Club with Bosphorus view.

How are the rooms?
Fairly spacious. Old-fashioned decor. Great views.

How is the exec. lounge?
Great view over Bosphorus. Good breakfast.

What was good/bad?
Good: Good location, right on Taksim Square.
Bad: Minibar charges hit credit card 2 days after check-out (and somehow caused Amex to shut down the account)

Tough decision. The location is pretty good (even though Old Town would be better for most touristy activities). We moved on to the Park Hyatt Macka Palas afterward, which is an amazing hotel.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 9:49 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
InterContinental San Jose, CR

Moderately.

Booked club tower room upgraded in advance to club tower suite.

How are the rooms?
Spacious sitting room, bedroom, bathroom and additional powder room. Very comfortable and well maintained. Loved the shower. Basic mini bar with no mixers except coke.

How is the exec. lounge?
Poor. Very plain room with a nice terrace overlooking the pool. Good beverage offering. Plenty of food but poor standard breakfast and evening. I was there over Christmas and put off by the number of rampaging kids (and adults) digging into food with their hands. Very friendly Club staff.

What was good/bad?
Good:
Upgrade was as expected to a very pleasant suite.
Lovely grounds and pool area. Ideal for doing nothing which suited us.
Good Italian restaurant and passable steakhouse.
The zip lining and other touring we did!
Most of the staff.

Bad:
Location. Next to a good shopping mall but otherwise in a light industrial area a good $10 taxi ride from downtown. Not that there is a lot downtown.
The Club.
The tower staff - snooty and unhelpful.

To the hotel, probably not. To Costa Rica, in a heartbeat.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:45 am

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold, SPG Plat
IC Hong Kong Grand Stanford

Yes!

Booked a King Club Room, received an upgrade to a City View Suite (which is the standard double upgrade), but exchanged that to a Club Harbour View Room, as I was by myself and was more interested in the view than in a second room

How are the rooms?

The hotel is a little bit older, but the rooms are never the less nice, with a large desk and a nice, comfy chair by the huge eiling-to-floor windows, with a spectacular view over the harbour towards Central.

How is the Exec. lounge?

One of the best club lounges I have been to in any IC. Huge selectrion of breakfast items, including western and chinese items, made-to-order eggs, waffles etc. The dinner option had several hot selections, slaads, cheese and meats, bread etc. Very attentive staff, always there to help & serve you

What was good/bad?

Good:

Very good location, close to Kowloon shopping and business areas, great view over the harbour, very attentive and friendly staff, comfy beds, great club

Bad:

A little bit on the older side, but still charming

I will certainly returm, as the hotel has a great location, great staff and a great club!
Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:21 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, IC Amb, PC Spire, Turkish Elite, Lufthansa FTL, Amex Plat
Intercontinental Berlin

- Two one-nights stays in December. First time I was overwhelmed, second time was still great!

- Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
First time I booked a Junior Suite and received an upgrade to a Senior Suite in the renovated East Wing (Club Level). Very modern, very stylish, bath tube had its own TV:-)
Second time I booked a standard room and git upgraded to a renovated Jnuior Suite in the west wing. Still good upgrade but not comparable with the club level's senior suite!

- How is the exec. lounge?
Excellent. Free for RA! Great staff, excellent breakfast for a lounge and nice snacks during the day. Early Check-In both times and therefore breakfast on day of arrival AND of departure. Just excellent!

- What was good and what was bad?
Good:
Nice upgrades, very nice spa (for free for RA and his room mate, others have to pay 15 EUR for steam bath and sauna), excellent staff.

Bad: Just minor issues:
I have never received any newspapers.
Both times welcome gift arrived after having asked for it.
On my second stay the system asked me to pay for 5 (!) movies even though we did not watch any. Was taken off the bill as it obviously was a software problem.

- Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?[/QUOTE]
I WILL return, for sure!
Old Jan 9, 2010, 8:45 am

Intercontinental Ceylan Istanbul

Yes, the hotel is well located with good comunications.

Luxury weekends upgraded to a Junior Suite (expected one more upgrade but we arrived on Dec. 31st and the hotel was fully booked). The room was quite nice.

How is the exec. lounge?

N/A

What was good and what was bad?
Good: Location, Minibar, room. Made a video from the window looking to Taksim square here.

Bad: Nothing special.

Yes
Old Jan 11, 2010, 9:44 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
IC The Clement Monterey, CA

IC The Clement Monterey, CA

As always, yes

Booked the cheapest room -- received 1 bedroom king oceanfront suite

How are the rooms?
Wonderful. 1 bedroom-suite includes a king-sized bed, separate living/sitting area, 2 bathrooms (one that has a great soaking tub), 2 gas fireplaces, and a balcony overlooking the bay.

RA amenity this time was a wonderful cheese plate and a bottle of Pinot Noir. They included free wine tasting at the Scheid tasting room across the way again (this bonus seems to come and go).

How is the exec. lounge?
There isn't one at this property

What was good and what was bad?
Good:
I can't ever really fault this hotel for anything; it's our favorite IC property in California. Staff is absolutely wonderful. Upgrade is always great. Location is great.

Bad:
nothing

We paid $159/night, so yes it was well worth it (and would have been even if we had NO upgrade -- this is the lowest I've seen their regular rates here).
Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:12 am

IC Rialto mel Australia

yes

3 nts on the current cheapie $199 deal
got corner room club access

how are the rooms?

large confortable room

red wine on table
tattinger 1/2 bottle in minibar

what else could I want
PH mel is still my favourite but for access to Collins st this trip -this is fantastic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.