Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
FAQs
1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?
2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?
3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?
4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?
5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?
6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?
7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC?

1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?

As of April 2023, there are four different active FNC types. Described below in order from newest to oldest (roughly), they will appear in your account under the following headings:
  • Premier Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC, good for a base room up to 40K points, for the personal Premier card. This FNC is described as “flex” because you can redeem for an award in excess of 40K by adding points on top of the FNC (aka "topping up").
    • Note: points used to top up a Flex FNC are not subject to the 10% rebate for Select cardholders.
  • Business Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC for the IHG Business card. This is identical in all respects to the Premier flex cert.
  • New Cardmember Bonus Free Night: Some recent offers for the personal Premier card have included one or more FNCs in the signup bonus. These FNCs are capped at 40K value; there is no "flex"/"top-up" option.
  • Select Credit Card Anniversary Night: The anniversary FNC for the older Select card, for which Chase stopped accepting applications in 2018. As with the previous category, this FNC type has a hard cap of 40K redemption value.
Depending on how long you have been a Chase IHG cardholder and which cards you've held, your FNC Details page may also display a placeholder section ("0 Anniversary Nights") for two other FNC types that no longer exist:
  • Premier Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to March 24, 2022, the personal Premier card FNC was hard-capped at 40K value. On March 24, all unused FNCs of this type were automatically converted to Premier "flex" FNCs as described above.
  • Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to May 1, 2018, anniversary FNCs for the Select card were uncapped--that is, they could be used at any IHG property.

2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?

After you log into the website, click on the section at the top of the window showing your first name and current point balance. This will take you to the Overview page of the My Account section. Underneath the gray box showing your status level, member number, and points balance you will see a submenu with "Overview" selected. Click on "Rewards Wallet" to go to the page summarizing your FNCs. Click "Details" to see the type(s) of FNC(s) in your account.

You can also go directly to the Details page by logging in and visiting http://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/en...gmt/freenights (for English-speaking US members).

3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?

No.

4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?

You may cancel your reservation online using the same process as for any other reservation. The certificate is normally returned to your account immediately and available for re-use with no wait and no need to call IHG. For unknown reasons, on rare occasions a FNC will not instantly reappear; in such cases, call IHG customer service to have the FNC redeposited manually.

5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?

As of January 2019, members are reporting that they are unable to do this.
Formerly, some members reported success in doing this. (See, for example, the discussion at post #516.) Two basic recommendations:
  • It is advisable to obtain advance written confirmation, ideally from the hotel itself, that your certificate will be honored under these circumstances.
    • At least one FTer reports having successfully booked post-expiration stays without confirming with the property in advance; see posts 719 & 723. YMMV.
  • Once the certificate expiration date passes, you will not be able to make any changes to the reservation (occupancy, date, room type, etc).

6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?

No. FNCs are non-transferable.

7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC each year?

Yes. The Select card (legacy), the personal Premier card, and the Premier Business card all include an anniversary FNC as a benefit. But note the difference, discussed above, between the Select card FNC--capped at 40K value--and the "flex" FNCs associated with the other cards. The no-fee Traveler card does not provide a FNC benefit.

In previous years, Chase issued the anniversary FNC shortly before the annual fee was billed. More recently, Chase has begun delaying issuance of FNCs until at least 8 weeks after the annual-fee statement date, presumably to prevent accountholders from canceling their cards while keeping the FNC.

Questions related to the extension of the certificate due to the Coronavirus are discussed in its own thread, which is here.

Print Wikipost

Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2017, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
I've always received the get ready it is coming e-mail (and snail mail) about a month before the actual posting of the certificate. (last e-mail Nov 16, posting Dec 16)

I don't think I've never got an e-mail saying it has been posted - but then again, I usually use it to book a night at the same day it is posted.
Yes the advance email comes very early. Never receive snail mail though.

Still no email on DH's account but the cert shows up in his account today. whew.

We tend to use ours together but mine is in Feb.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:55 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Any reference points converting an all points booking to an anniversary night? I have a points booking but the hotel isn't allowing reservations using the anniversary night.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:13 pm

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Just canceled a reservation booked with Free Night Cert that expires on 2/18/17. Cert not showing back in account. Called and they said takes up to 24 hours.

Anyone cancel recently and did it redeposit immediately as stated in Wiki?
Old Feb 3, 2017, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by booyaa
Just canceled a reservation booked with Free Night Cert that expires on 2/18/17. Cert not showing back in account. Called and they said takes up to 24 hours.

Anyone cancel recently and did it redeposit immediately as stated in Wiki?
Yes, within the past few weeks. No idea why your cert wouldn't be the same; call them back in 24hrs1m.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Originally Posted by beltway
Yes, within the past few weeks. No idea why your cert wouldn't be the same; call them back in 24hrs1m.
Just called again. Non-India answered and manually redeposited back for me. For giggles, made another reservation (different property), canceled, and cert went back immediately.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:38 pm

Free night expiration Sept 1, 2017 night booked in Tahiti Jan 24,2018.......Chances of this being accepted? Do the resorts even know its booked on a free night? Seems like they just know its a reward booking. Thoughts
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by itsj0nathan
Free night expiration Sept 1, 2017 night booked in Tahiti Jan 24,2018.......Chances of this being accepted? Do the resorts even know its booked on a free night? Seems like they just know its a reward booking. Thoughts
One thought: the wiki discusses this.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
One thought: the wiki discusses this.
Yea......I read it prior to posting....nobody goes into the length of time difference I'm looking at. I get a month or two, but 5 months....
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:35 pm

Hey, did you guys try to save last year's free night, and use it with this year's free night?
Well I had a friend that tried to do that. His last year's expires 4/3/17. This year, he received the free night today 3/22. But it's valid 4/20/17-4/20/18. Wth?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:14 pm

Is the free night available one year from the date I apply for the card or one year after first statement? Want to apply for DH so that we can have 2 free nights around the same time. My free night is from 5/30/16-6/9/17.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: UR, RR, MileagePLus, Dividend Miles (R.I.P), AAdvantage, HHonors, IHG, Skymiles
I know this question will sound similar to others discussed here but I'm looking for gut feelings, probable outcomes, and general advice. I know what the wiki says and I know what results other have achieved.

My free night will expire on April 6, 2017. In November 2016 I booked the free night online for April 11, 2017 with no problems. I purchased April 12th with points.

I had the hotel combine bookings and got a free room upgrade locked in on the reservation (a very gracious guest services manager, and a carefully crafted e-mail).

I now have the next year's free night in my account, valid March 27, 2017 through April 6, 2018.

Should I A) Call either the hotel or IHG and try to switch the points-booked night to the new free night cert? B) Leave well enough alone and be glad the system let me book the cert for an expired date?

Speaking of that expired cert: Should I A) Bring it up with the gracious guest services manager beforehand (i.e. now)? B) Wait and see if everything works out fine at checkout and then forget about it? C) Regardless of what happens at check-out or months later, save my current free night in hopes I can use it retroactively for the night I used the expired cert on, to avoid paying the $650+ cash?

It's a very carefully planned trip and I'm thrilled we got upgraded to the rooftop suite for free! The best part is that DW won't find out about the trip until 2 days before. Needless to say, I don't want any screw-ups to sour the vacation. I also don't want to risk the ire of the gracious guest services manager who preemptively marked my reservation for the upgrade.

Thoughts? Musings?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold,IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Kadence
Is the free night available one year from the date I apply for the card or one year after first statement? Want to apply for DH so that we can have 2 free nights around the same time. My free night is from 5/30/16-6/9/17.
Free Night: Anniversary Free Night will be available for redemption on your account renewal anniversary date each year. (“Anniversary” is the date that is twelve months after your enrollment date, and the same date each twelve months thereafter.)

I would say application date because my Anniversary for the free night is before the date I actually received and activated card.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by valuetactics
I know this question will sound similar to others discussed here but I'm looking for gut feelings, probable outcomes, and general advice. I know what the wiki says and I know what results other have achieved.

My free night will expire on April 6, 2017. In November 2016 I booked the free night online for April 11, 2017 with no problems. I purchased April 12th with points.

I had the hotel combine bookings and got a free room upgrade locked in on the reservation (a very gracious guest services manager, and a carefully crafted e-mail).

I now have the next year's free night in my account, valid March 27, 2017 through April 6, 2018.

Should I A) Call either the hotel or IHG and try to switch the points-booked night to the new free night cert? B) Leave well enough alone and be glad the system let me book the cert for an expired date?

Speaking of that expired cert: Should I A) Bring it up with the gracious guest services manager beforehand (i.e. now)? B) Wait and see if everything works out fine at checkout and then forget about it? C) Regardless of what happens at check-out or months later, save my current free night in hopes I can use it retroactively for the night I used the expired cert on, to avoid paying the $650+ cash?

It's a very carefully planned trip and I'm thrilled we got upgraded to the rooftop suite for free! The best part is that DW won't find out about the trip until 2 days before. Needless to say, I don't want any screw-ups to sour the vacation. I also don't want to risk the ire of the gracious guest services manager who preemptively marked my reservation for the upgrade.

Thoughts? Musings?
That is your answer right there.

Do you feel lucky?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kadence
Originally Posted by tropicalmn
Free Night: Anniversary Free Night will be available for redemption on your account renewal anniversary date each year. (“Anniversary” is the date that is twelve months after your enrollment date, and the same date each twelve months thereafter.)

I would say application date because my Anniversary for the free night is before the date I actually received and activated card.
Generally it is the day your application is approved. However over the years I have seen the date the free night deposited into the account can have a few days difference, On one year it was a full week later, though mostly on the same week the anniversary date falls on. My thought is, as long as the 2 free nights have 3 to 6 months overlapping period, most couples could use the 2 certs at the same time.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: UR, RR, MileagePLus, Dividend Miles (R.I.P), AAdvantage, HHonors, IHG, Skymiles
Originally Posted by Happy
That is your answer right there.

Do you feel lucky?
Not particularly. That's why I'm asking those with more experience with IHG and these certs for advice. In your estimation, is there less chance of a problem with the expired (currently booked) night if I leave it alone, or bring it up proactively, to either the hotel or IHG?

Furthermore, in your estimation could my attempt to switch my points night to my current certificate night draw attention to the expired night that otherwise wouldn't be drawn? Or will the expired night be accepted or "discovered" regardless of whether anyone notices it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.