Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ebay & the Royal Ambassador experience = beware ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2011, 1:54 am

Programs: IC Spire Amb, Hilton, Marriott, BA, VA.
Originally Posted by iamthehpt
There is now another RA cert for sale on ebay from a seller with a feedback rating of 4 (all positive). First positive was as a buyer. Other 3 were as a seller -- all RA certs -- two sold on March 5 of this year, the other in September. So this is his THIRD RA sale in a week. Buyers beware.
Good post and warning - Surely only a fool would buy that one!? We've been through the reasons here for how it could happen that someone has genuine multiple certs, but I think we all know that this scenario is quite unlikely. Wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole!

Last edited by AMDB7; Mar 8, 2011 at 4:41 am
Old Mar 8, 2011, 3:57 am

Programs: Priority club
Thanks for the tip was thinking of buying an RA voucher on ebay...but will wait ...till I earn it ..I'm not far off..
Old Mar 8, 2011, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR/LTG
Originally Posted by probertjjames
Thanks for the tip was thinking of buying an RA voucher on ebay...but will wait ...till I earn it ..I'm not far off..
I'm sure there are some reputable sellers on eBay Don't give up too quickly!
Old Mar 8, 2011, 6:28 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by BA038_Passenger
There probably are. But essentially you are buying a piece of paper from a stranger that even if you receive the cert and it transpires that it's genuine and not a dud - doesn't even carry a cast iron guarantee of anything. And when things go wrong it's highly stressful and the outcome uncertain. This type of certificate is taylor-made for scamsters. Buying an RA cert on ebay is essentially a lottery. Most purchasers do not even understand the questions they should ask before even thinking of bidding.

As long as purchasers understand this uncertainty then they should not complain if it does go wrong.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
So for folks looking to exchange is CC better than ebay?
Old Mar 8, 2011, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
It sure is.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox
So for folks looking to exchange is CC better than ebay?
Sure. I have acquired my first certificate on CC and traded all my following certificates on CC - the guy I got my first certificate from was a long standing member and so am I. This gives more confidence than Ebay does. However, Ebay is more profitable. You normally cannot expect 700 USD (not to talk about cash at all) value here on CC.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Ebay currently has a listing for an RA referral cert by an ebayer with a feedback rating of 8. I can't read the earliest sale because the notes are in chinese, but the 7 other feedback comments ALL are regarding RA certs. He has sold 7 since October, 6 since December. And I don't know how many others he sold without receiving feedback. My new RA cert will arrive in the next few weeks. Guess it's time to invest in a good color copier. (JOKE)
Old Mar 11, 2011, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, AA-Plat, PC-Plat Amb, tons of others...
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Sure. I have acquired my first certificate on CC and traded all my following certificates on CC - the guy I got my first certificate from was a long standing member and so am I. This gives more confidence than Ebay does. However, Ebay is more profitable. You normally cannot expect 700 USD (not to talk about cash at all) value here on CC.
Thank you, you beat me to it. Ebay is more profitable, as um, my friend, yeah my friend, can attest. Don't assume that all ebayers are fraudulent, particularly those that have high ratings and have been ebaying for years. Like, um, my friend!

Also, don't be so quick to dismiss a seller that has been selling multiple certificates. While I would be understandably hesitant also, it's very possible that someone is buying and reselling certificates at a profit. It wouldn't be very hard to do, and if you can turn $100-200+ profit per certificate, fairly profitable.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:34 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat/Amb, Hilton Gold, Acor Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by PublicBJ
Thank you, you beat me to it. Ebay is more profitable, as um, my friend, yeah my friend, can attest. Don't assume that all ebayers are fraudulent, particularly those that have high ratings and have been ebaying for years. Like, um, my friend!

Also, don't be so quick to dismiss a seller that has been selling multiple certificates. While I would be understandably hesitant also, it's very possible that someone is buying and reselling certificates at a profit. It wouldn't be very hard to do, and if you can turn $100-200+ profit per certificate, fairly profitable.
It would be exremely hard to buy and sell these on ebay for a profit, After paying ebay and paypal fees plus postage from who you are buying from, there is no margin left.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 4:29 am

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Originally Posted by Aerotec
...If you play PayPal's game they will just drag this out as long as they can.
I had an empty envelope sent Recorded Delivery (in the UK) as then they have "proof of delivery" which helps them fend off a PayPal claim. PayPal even had me go to a police station to get a crime reference for my claim. The officer thought I was a nut case asking him to sign some paperwork stating that "yes the envelope was empty" and refused to do that or issue a crime reference as I had no evidence of a crime being committed.
Can you really blame the officer? He doesn't know if the envelope arrived empty unless he was there to see you open it.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
What can you expect on the CC?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 4:17 am

Programs: Ambassador, spg plat
Originally Posted by BA038_Passenger
I can confirm that !
Old Mar 24, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold (4 life), Delta Platinum, Starwood Gold, IC RA
Buying RA's on EBAY, is buy at your own risk. That can be said for anything you buy on EBAY. Key to any EBAY transaction is to review the seller's history. A guy selling multiple RA certificates with minimal feedback is suspect. We all have common sense, just need to use it.

As to using 2 BOGO certificates, just make 2 separate bookings. You cannot use more than 1 BOGO for a single booking, but can use 2 if you make 2 reservations. I have done it before.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 2:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I dont know why anyone bothers with Ebay or Paypal chargebacks. What a waste of time. Go right to your credit card. Easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.