Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ebay & the Royal Ambassador experience = beware ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2011, 12:15 pm

Bought thru eBay seller with US address with 78 100% positive ratings, just a couple of weeks ago for a bit more than five benjis. Arrived with no problems.

Don't know the worth of this post other than to say that there are legit sellers.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: ba miles
Originally Posted by nikconnor
Just thought I would warn others in case this happens to you.

Recently saw on eBay a Royal Ambassador referral certificate, this was from a long time eBayer with 98% positive feedback. ^

Bid a considerable sum of money for the item and won ^

The seller dispatched the item with 'deutschepost' registered post the day after the Paypal payment went through. ^

Three days later the envelope arrives ^,
opened and found, my RA certificate ?, NO all that was in it was 'two BLANK pieces of paper'

The seller replied that it must have been the post office (can't see the postman putting blank paper back in the envelope) and he will get Intercontinental to send another certificate (can't see that happening).

3 days now and no communication from the seller. have escalated the case with eBay and they tell me they have 'got it covered.'

Reminder to self,
Don't buy RA Certificate from anyone in 35641 Schöffengrund.
If the 'deutschepost' postman has luggage tag with RA platinum, follow him home.
Buy a stranger a beer or two, to visit Schöffengrund and ask for my certificate in person.
Get another RA certificate before my wife's anniversary (only from RA member)

Any more suggestions guys/girls
a bit off topic - but where were you planning on taking your wife?
Old Feb 5, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb, Hilton Diamond
If you paid with a credit card, charge back the paypal payment and they'll automatically take it off the seller.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 10:27 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sohan
If you paid with a credit card, charge back the paypal payment and they'll automatically take it off the seller.
I think you'll find that you cannot reverse the payment made to PayPal. They completed the service they were paid for ie paying the supplier.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 11:49 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Originally Posted by nikconnor
Three days later the envelope arrives ^,
opened and found, my RA certificate ?, NO all that was in it was 'two BLANK pieces of paper'
By any chance did the seller advertise the bid item as something like, "You are bidding on a blank piece of paper only. An Intercontinental Royal Ambassador certificate will be added as a free bonus"?
Old Feb 6, 2011, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Over the 14 or 15 years I've been on eBay, I've gotten 2 negatives. One as retaliation for leaving a negative for a $15 toner cartridge that was messed up, the other for sending out a package a week after the auction ended since I was out of town.

If you buy/sell a lot of items, one negative won't hurt you much. If you only do a couple items a year, then it will. I think that after a year any negative scrolls off.

I think very hard about buying anything from someone with a less than 99% rating. I try to see who gave them a negative, and why.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:10 pm

Programs: SQ
ebay will back you up on this, as long as the seller didn't trick you in his item description.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Look at this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/InterContinental...item230dfa561b

The guy has 100% positive feedback but 4 of them are from the same guy also for an RA cert. Yah -right... wouldn't touch this with a 10ft pole...
Old Feb 6, 2011, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965
Look at this one:

The guy has 100% positive feedback but 4 of them are from the same guy also for an RA cert. Yah -right... wouldn't touch this with a 10ft pole...
Geeze, $88 shipping.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 9:38 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, United 2P, SQ, SPG Plat, PC Plat AMB, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Geeze, $88 shipping.
ya saw that also - honestly the only seriously trustworthy place would be coupon connection or an RA you know personally.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 8:33 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965
Look at this one:

He also seems to magically have a new RA cert to sell each month. ??
Old Feb 7, 2011, 8:45 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter
He also seems to magically have a new RA cert to sell each month. ??
I don't recall, do the RA certs have a unique identifying number? If not, it would be relatively easy to forge them. I feel fairly confident about trades on the CC, I don't think I could say the same about Ebay.

Andyandy
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:26 pm

Programs: PC Royal Amb
Seeing as how the free weekend night certificate has a Serial # I can't imagine a RA referral certificate not having one.

FYI, I have asked the seller what's the Serial # on the current RA certificate he's selling, but he hasn't replied yet.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:31 pm

Programs: DL GM and so on
Originally Posted by MattGreenfield
Seeing as how the free weekend night certificate has a Serial # I can't imagine a RA referral certificate not having one.
Actually, they don't have any serial numbers, only expiration date.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 12:32 am

Programs: IC RA, UA 2P, delta pm
But they do ask for the referrer's ID. I assume they keep some sort of track.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.