Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Win it in a minute" trivia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by IMH
That should change when a few Arkadijs Bs (and maybe some Arkansas Ms) get purged from the winners list.
I assume IHG has lurkers here?

In today's Top 10 -- William M and Bill M from Arkansas... hmmm.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles
Cut off now 45,000+!
Yes and with 44K+ I am out!

I can easily picture scoring 50+K without any cheating - obviously with luck and shorter and easily recognizable questions though.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
Yes and with 44K+ I am out!

I can easily picture scoring 50+K without any cheating - obviously with luck and shorter and easily recognizable questions though.
I think Monday will consistently be the hardest day to win, since all the top 50 will get the daily pts, but after that, a lot of the people trying for the weekly top 100 will have already won so they are out of the running for the daily wins.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IMH
Purely subjective, but I'm not seeing as many contestants with "names" along the lines of "XY.Z". On the other hand, various Ms in Arkansas continue to excel, so maybe I was mistaken.
Their family in the old country is doing quite well this week, the Ms of UK currently hold 7 of the top 100, even Arkenjis B only has 5.

I actually submitted a feedback to ePrize about the cheating last week, probably nothing will come of it.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Hyatt Diamond, MR Platinum, PC Platinum, SPG Platinum, HH Gold
Sounds like this game is eay to rig in 3 steps:

1. Create a fake account.

2. See what the answers are by first signing into the fake account.

3. Use the answers to sign in to your real account and win.

Unless PC figures a way to identify accounts, most of the winners will be cheaters. Lets be blunt, Americans are not very good at Geography, yet the results so far would say quite the opposite. Maybe the questions should change for each account?
Old Feb 7, 2011, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by zacktravel
Maybe the questions should change for each account?
If you do as you said, you'll find that they do not ask the same questions for each account. My wife and I occasionally have a repeat question, but it's not like we each get the same set of questions each day. Today I had one she got wrong last week (and silly me, I still picked the wrong answer).
Old Feb 7, 2011, 3:09 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Lets be blunt, Americans are not very good at Geography, yet the results so far would say quite the opposite.
Hope you've got your flak jacket on .

Also relevant: American PC members are at least as likely as Europeans to be well informed about IC properties in places like Bora Bora. And of course the USA is home to tens of thousands of bright and often well travelled students and academics who grew up elsewhere. There's probably more than a handful of them on our leader board.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Sounds like this game is eay to rig in 3 steps:

1. Create a fake account.

2. See what the answers are by first signing into the fake account.

3. Use the answers to sign in to your real account and win.
No, questions are different. You WILL get the odd repeat from previous days if you play for different family members, but frankly you still have to memorise the answer from the previous time which is not easy - you don't have time to look anything up on a piece of paper.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by IMH

Also relevant: American PC members are at least as likely as Europeans to be well informed about IC properties in places like Bora Bora. .
I am in the US and I was well aware there are four IHG properties in French Polynesia
Old Feb 7, 2011, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone know how many players we have today? I think you have to hit "view leaderboard" before you play, and your position = the number of players so far.

Just curious.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by IMH
Also relevant: American PC members are at least as likely as Europeans to be well informed about IC properties in places like Bora Bora. And of course the USA is home to tens of thousands of bright and often well travelled students and academics who grew up elsewhere. There's probably more than a handful of them on our leader board.
I don't get all the America bashing. I was born and raised in the ole US of A, went to a ghetto public school in the 49th ranked in education state of California, yet somehow managed to be a California state geography finalist and be well traveled and educated (And yet I still can't break the top 100 on a regular basis). It only takes a small handful of people/hackers to knock everyone else off the leaderboard though, even if the vast majority of Americans aren't good at geography.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 4:31 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by iceman77_7
I don't get all the America bashing.
I certainly didn't indulge in any, and I don't think zacktravel's comment counts as a serious attack. My main point was intended to be that "well travelled" and "frequent reader of travel blogs" are every bit as useful for this particular trivia quiz as school geography knowledge.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 4:41 pm

Still doesn't work for me.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iceman77_7
I was born and raised in the ole US of A, went to a ghetto public school in the 49th ranked in education state of California
Hah! I clearly went to a much better school than you and still don't appear to have much of a chance of making it into the top 50/100 after the first week Many of the questions are not answerable with school-learned knowledge anyway.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 6:59 pm

Dang! I'm also beginning to wonder what kinds of shenanigans are keeping my respectable scores out of contention.

I think PC has stumbled across the perfect way to deal with loopholes in their promos - have them affect us and not them!

I'm going to pass on the rest of this promo - one less player for the rest of you - best of luck everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.