Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Win it in a minute" trivia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2011, 9:59 am

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by Mick163
By the end of putting my thoughts down in this message, I have already decided; for me, the game is a waste of time and I will not play it again as I don't see any possibility of getting close to the top whatever that wins, plus there is no other benefit in playing. At least with the Anywhere Challenge I learnt something as we dwelt on the clues.
+1
Here's another player about to make it easier for the rest who are continuing to play this game.
Not sore losers, just calling it as we see it. Even when I get 5 out of 5 I'm nowhere near qualifying for any points. I appreciate PC giving us another opportunity to gain some free points, but for me, I evidently can't compete with the vast treasure of trivia knowledge and mouse speed out there. I'll find a more useful way to spend my extra minute a day.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:03 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.314 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/125)

I had the perfect round this morning - knew the answer to all 5 and answered quickly, think my total was over 50k - then my wifi connection dropped, and it didn't save the score. Was able to try again, but only got 14k. I don't think I've known one answer before today, although have guessed some - the questions do deem very US-centric.

Last edited by ag51; Feb 7, 2011 at 10:08 am
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by josephstern
Wow - I'm surprised at all of the negative feelings. I, for one, like the trivia, even if I've got no chance of winning.

In fact, I like it better than the older promo. That one was just a matter of finding the answer here and pasting it there. This one is actually engaging, to me at least.
That's how I see it. With the previous contest, all I did was come here, look through the long thread for what people had already agreed upon before I even woke up, and then typed that into the web ui. No thinking on my part required. And quite frankly, I wouldn't have spent a lot of time researching the picture if FT hadn't existed or every user had somehow gotten a different picture. I am willing to invest a minute and some luck to try to get points, but I am not going to spend hours on it.

Oh, and I have learned a few interesting bits of trivia through this contest, too.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Originally Posted by IMH
Have you seen questions carried forward from week to week?).
Yes. Only one or two, but yes.
Originally Posted by IMH
...Secondly, as Raffles has suggested, it is very likely that participant numbers will drop off again. People drawn in by last week's mass mailout will drift away. Thirdly, especially late in the week and late in the month, more and more of the better players will have already won and therefore been excluded from winning more.
Exactly my point when I spoke about attrition--the longer this goes, the greater the likelihood that people drop out and/or the "better" players win and are frozen for the week or month.
Originally Posted by IMH
Fourthly, practice does bring improved scores.
Quite possibly. But the few times I've gotten five out of five, my total score was so far below the near-perfect top scores I felt humbled. And I'm not seeing significant improvement as the game goes on, nor is my wife.

I'm resigned to the likelihood that this is just one of those games where my chances are winning are not great. It happens, no big deal. However, being the eternal optimist (and given that devoting 60 seconds of each weekday to playing the game is not exactly onerous), I will slog on and hope for the best. After all, it is PC...there's always the chance they will have a hiccup and everyone who plays on a Tuesday in March will win 5,000 points!
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:43 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ag51
the questions do deem very US-centric.
Not always. I've had days where every question seemed to be about Madisonville or President Franklin, but today two of my five questions had a French flavour and one was about India.

Originally Posted by bob12403
After all, it is PC...there's always the chance they will have a hiccup and everyone who plays on a Tuesday in March will win 5,000 points!
Never rule anything out.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:50 am

I had a day last week where I had two questions in a row about Michigan! Got both of them wrong. I like the National Parks questions...I watched that National Parks documentary a year or two ago so I am all on those.

I was able to get 5,000 last week but Mr. Brokestudent was not. At the beginning of the contest I calculated how we were going to get 100K points each, not likely anymore but definitely worth my time to just play.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Looks like "ARKADIJS B" from the UK is still playing with multiple accounts... and shows on the winner list (top 100) for last week twice. Unless there are really two different legitimate ARKADIJS B from the UK, this one would seem to be an easy one for PC to pick out...
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by IMH
Firstly, the people running this are clearly making some effort to beat the bots.
What effort do you see?
Old Feb 7, 2011, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iceman77_7
What effort do you see?
I was wondering the same.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
What effort do you see?
There have been some people reporting prizes although they finished outside the top 50. Could be due to eliminated players, could be DQ'd bots. Hopefully they will be reviewing this right up to actually sending out the points.

On the subject of repeating questions, today I got one of the questions mentioned earlier in the thread, thankfully got it right
Annoyingly I got the first one wrong about the number of hotels in the UK in the 1500's or some such thing.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 12:37 pm
IMH

What effort do you see?
Purely subjective, but I'm not seeing as many contestants with "names" along the lines of "XY.Z". On the other hand, various Ms in Arkansas continue to excel, so maybe I was mistaken.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
I had trouble with the earlier link, so I am posting here
one that worked for me today.

https://ihg.promo.eprize.com/trivia/
Old Feb 7, 2011, 1:44 pm
IMH

Originally Posted by sosafan
Shorter and working for me:

http://trivia.priorityclub.com/
Old Feb 7, 2011, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Cut off now 45,000+!
Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:00 pm
IMH

Originally Posted by Raffles
Cut off now 45,000+!
That should change when a few Arkadijs Bs (and maybe some Arkansas Ms) get purged from the winners list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.