Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC New York Times Square Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
Question abut Resort Fee

Originally Posted by Fun_Flyer
Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
No.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked sky view corner, received sky view corner. On my past stays I always received sky view studio, even when booking superior only. Not only did they change to "2 category upgrade only" policy (which would be ok), but also they removed deluxe and sky view studio from the upgrade list totally. That is insane.

How are the rooms?
Nice, relatively new, but not the size expected with RA membership.

How is the exec. lounge?
There is none.

Did you receive a welcome gift?
No. Only after asking I received 3 green apples. So there is no "fruits + welcome gift" but the welcome gift is the fruits. Even this is actually disappointing for RA....

How was the minibar?
Nice. Some nice drinks, some champagne.

What was good and what was bad?

-Good
View from the room! Location!

-Bad
-Virtually no RA benefit at all (except for minibar and early checkin). No upgrade, no real welcome gift, no lounge, no club experience, no free breakfast (which would at least be some nice gift).
-No GM at the moment, so noone feels respobsible.
-Unfriendly staff at breakfast
-no turndown service

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
not really good.

Would you return?
Only if no other hotel nearby has free rooms. They really dont care about their RAs.

I'm staying here as RA on Wednesday night. Do RAs have to pay the new $34 resort fee? Just noticed it was automatically added to my reservation.

Last edited by FLYGVA; May 8, 2018 at 11:11 pm
Old May 14, 2018, 7:25 pm

How much can they profit out of this new destination fee if we use up all of $25 dining credit for breakfast, $15 for laundry every day?
Old May 14, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
How much can they profit out of this new destination fee if we use up all of $25 dining credit for breakfast, $15 for laundry every day?
You could argue all bar the state taxes on $40 ie $32 profit.

Many guests would not use Laundry even with $15credit/day (I don't), and in anycase hotels thinking/marketing is you end up spending $30-50 before a $15 discount

Reason why zero costs to hotel
i)b/f exists anyway room/tables/waiters/food and 2x extra meals is less surplus food binned ... So zero cost
.. and hotel really wants guests to use $25 towards higher cost of evening meal with costly restaurant wine+drinks
ii)same argument for inhouse laundry useage, equipment/staff already exist, extra time doesn't cost any further wages

Last edited by scubaccr; May 14, 2018 at 9:00 pm
Old May 15, 2018, 4:22 am

Chase IHG Visa Anniversary Free Night doesn't mention the new $30 destination fee anywhere in the reservation. I wonder if IC Times Square will force me to pay $30 even though the reservation process (and confirmation email) do not mention the destination fee.
Old May 17, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
Originally Posted by VaBeachGirl
I'm staying here as RA on Wednesday night. Do RAs have to pay the new $34 resort fee? Just noticed it was automatically added to my reservation.
So, I did get the resort fee waived but it was because I made my reservation in March, not because I'm RA. The resort fee kicked in officially in May, so I was "grandfathered" in. The front desk agent did say some corporate rates are exempt from the resort fee. I typically travel on a government rate but he didn't think government rates counted as exempt. Hmmmm
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:24 pm

So, I did get the resort fee waived but it was because I made my reservation in March, not because I'm RA. The resort fee kicked in officially in May, so I was "grandfathered" in. The front desk agent did say some corporate rates are exempt from the resort fee. I typically travel on a government rate but he didn't think government rates counted as exempt. Hmmmm
Interesting to know that they will waive the daily facility fee if reservation was made before May.

I have two night stay in september but booked with two separate reservation using chase free night. The first one was booked in March, second one booked in May. I wonder if they will waive both nights or just for the one booked in March.

Did they still give you the $25 F/B credit if your fee was waived? This should be communicated clearly at check-in so that you didn't use the credit if your daily facility fee was waived.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
Did they still give you the $25 F/B credit if your fee was waived? This should be communicated clearly at check-in so that you didn't use the credit if your daily facility fee was waived.
I think it would be pretty clear to me that if I wasn’t paying a resort fee, I wouldn’t be receiving any benifits that come with it.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Have a two-night stay in NYC coming up and was considering one night here and one night at the IC Barclay, since I've never stayed at either property. What can a non-Ambassador Platinum expect at this property? Is mass transit to EWR faster/easier from this IC or the IC Barclay? Thanks.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Have a two-night stay in NYC coming up and was considering one night here and one night at the IC Barclay, since I've never stayed at either property. What can a non-Ambassador Platinum expect at this property? Is mass transit to EWR faster/easier from this IC or the IC Barclay? Thanks.
The best mass transit option to EWR is taking a train on NJ Transit, which departs from Penn Station.
NJ Transit to EWR
Penn Station is closer to Times Square than The Barclay, but if I have luggage, I would probably opt for a cab at either hotel.

As as far as IHG non-ambassador status, Maybe you’ll get some small perks, but don’t expect any. But if you’re staying over a weekend, why not sign up for Ambassador? The BOGO voucher in itself makes the $200 fee worthwhile, and you get a guaranteed room upgrade, late checkout and lots of other stuff.

Also, I personally would prefer staying in one hotel instead of sampling both. The hassle isn’t worth it. Both NYC InterContinentals are average (compared to other Intercontinentals) but I prefer the Barclay.

If you’re using points, I would opt for the Hotel Indigo on the Lower East Side or, if staying in Midtown is a must, check out the Crown Plaza HY36 that just opened (both are only 50k/nt and probably have better elite benefits for non-ambassadors). I personally haven’t stayed at either of them, but only because the Ambassador benefits are too enticing. The Kimpton offerings properties look solid too, but they’re 70k/nt.
daninstl and joe_miami like this.

Last edited by patmcpsu; Jun 17, 2018 at 11:44 am Reason: Clarity
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I checked in today for a quick one night stay using my Chase Free Night certificate. I’ve stayed here numerous times before and the property is really showing its age IMHO. Here’s just a few issues:
- The carpets in the hallways are dirty, worn and rippling.
- In the room the furniture is chipped, bed sheets are worn, the wallpaper is peeling near the AC vent and a picture on the wall is gone but you can still see the outline and the hooks are still on the wall!
- bathroom mirror has glaze coming off, countertop is chipped and the whole room isn’t very clean looking
Overall I would not stay here again. I’m assuming they are holding out on renovating the place till they settle the management licensing dispute that has been ongoing for a while. If the owners want out they likely don’t want to renovate according to IC standards but this place is really starting to look shabby!

Last edited by christianj; Jul 20, 2018 at 3:23 pm
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:09 am

Stayed here again on Monday night. The resort fee was waived this time because of RA status.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:42 pm

Does IC Times Square charge the resort fee for point bookings? Are there any current experiences?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Airwalk007
Does IC Times Square charge the resort fee for point bookings? Are there any current experiences?
Was not charged it on a Chase Free Night redemption so I would assume the same would apply to regular free award nights.
daninstl, mpeterson78 and patmcpsu like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:29 am

I have a booking here in October, booked back in February, The travel agent has given me an assurance in writing that we won't be charged the resort fee.

After reading through the various threads, though I am a Spire, I get the feeling that won't mean much to this hotel, so the room I have booked is a King Bed Superior Room, what would Ambassador get me an upgrade to, bearing in mind this hotel also appears to not be very Ambassador friendly either.

I will debate the pros and cons of buying Ambassador in advance, or at reception when I book in myself, so it's just an appraisal of chances of upgrade, versus what they would class as an upgrade.

thanks in advance
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Stayed here for 4 nights on points as a Spire Ambassador this past week (including NYE). My flight was very early. They let me check into my room at 12 PM. I was booked the "Superior Room" and was upgraded 3 levels to a "Sky View Corner Room". Was not charged any destination fees. I chose the welcome amenity of two cocktails from the attached restaurant. Very good cocktails, and would have been $20 each otherwise. I still received the 600 points. The room was a bit small, which is to be expected of New York. Everything was in good working order. The view was of nothing significant, but I could see people filing into Times Square. I received my nuts and chocolates, which were tastier than normal.

It was my best valuation ever for a points stay. Obviously the price was jacked way up because of NYE, but there was no way to get around that other than points. When you factor in everything I got this time of the year, 4th night free, and the 10% rebateS, this stay reminds me why I love IHG rewards. It was also booked about 3 months ago with no availability issue.
patmcpsu and markko like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.