FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IC New York Times Square Master Thread
View Single Post
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:59 am
patmcpsu

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Have a two-night stay in NYC coming up and was considering one night here and one night at the IC Barclay, since I've never stayed at either property. What can a non-Ambassador Platinum expect at this property? Is mass transit to EWR faster/easier from this IC or the IC Barclay? Thanks.
The best mass transit option to EWR is taking a train on NJ Transit, which departs from Penn Station.
NJ Transit to EWR
Penn Station is closer to Times Square than The Barclay, but if I have luggage, I would probably opt for a cab at either hotel.

As as far as IHG non-ambassador status, Maybe you’ll get some small perks, but don’t expect any. But if you’re staying over a weekend, why not sign up for Ambassador? The BOGO voucher in itself makes the $200 fee worthwhile, and you get a guaranteed room upgrade, late checkout and lots of other stuff.

Also, I personally would prefer staying in one hotel instead of sampling both. The hassle isn’t worth it. Both NYC InterContinentals are average (compared to other Intercontinentals) but I prefer the Barclay.

If you’re using points, I would opt for the Hotel Indigo on the Lower East Side or, if staying in Midtown is a must, check out the Crown Plaza HY36 that just opened (both are only 50k/nt and probably have better elite benefits for non-ambassadors). I personally haven’t stayed at either of them, but only because the Ambassador benefits are too enticing. The Kimpton offerings properties look solid too, but they’re 70k/nt.

Last edited by patmcpsu; Jun 17, 2018 at 11:44 am Reason: Clarity