Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holiday Inn Kandooma -- Maldives

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:32 am
Suspended

In theorie yes but some (or many) Hotels give some kind of extra Bonus on top.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:13 am

Programs: TK Elite, BA Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus, IHG Spire AMB, HHonors Diamond
is it possible to go (by kayak??) to the neighbor Island? if yes - is there a Supermarket?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Marco159
is it possible to go (by kayak??) to the neighbor Island? if yes - is there a Supermarket?
Yes and Yes........ in your dreams! This is the Maldives, may I respectfully suggest that you do a little research into the destination?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: TK Elite, BA Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus, IHG Spire AMB, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
Yes and Yes........ in your dreams! This is the Maldives, may I respectfully suggest that you do a little research into the destination?
i went to maldives 6 years ago - no idea how it is actually....
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
Originally Posted by Marco159
I will be staying at Kandooma next year and have just started my own research, so I can't properly answer Marco159's question. But I don't think it is an unreasonable question.

Looking at Google Maps, the neighbour island (Guraidhoo) seems to be separated from Kandooma only by about 30 meters of "open sea" and looks to be a place covered with residential property and some guest houses.

Based on this tripadvisor review of a guest house on Guraidhoo, there seem to be at least some tourist shops:

Hordes of tourists from the other islands would descend on Guraidhoo throughout the day and night, hunting for souvenirs in the numerous shops.
Other reports describe Guraidhoo as having a population of 2300 and many shops, bakeries and supermarkets. It appears to be a popular destination for day trips from the resorts.

Last edited by goliath; Aug 5, 2015 at 7:47 am
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by goliath
I will be staying at Kandooma next year and have just started my own research, so I can't properly answer Marco159's question. But I don't think it is an unreasonable question.

Looking at Google Maps, the neighbour island (Guraidhoo) seems to be separated from Kandooma only by about 30 meters of "open sea" and looks to be a place covered with residential property and some guest houses.

Based on this tripadvisor review of a guest house on Guraidhoo, there seem to be at least some tourist shops:

Other reports describe Guraidhoo as having a population of 2300 and many shops, bakeries and supermarkets. It appears to be a popular destination for day trips from the resorts.
As I recall from our trip, you can go to Guraidhoo on a paid excursion day trip from Kandooma. However there is little to buy other than souveneirs and certainly no alcohol which is illegal outside of resorts. Kandooma is not equiped nor suitable for self catering. Incidentally there was generally a security guard who was posted at the end of the overwater bungalows who was strongly discouraging people independently crossing the channel from either side.
Funnily enough there were guests from a certain country, I'll let you guess which, who were in hot water for boiling fish in their room kettle!
In summary, it isn't somewhere you go to self cater! Perhaps take some snacks and pot noodles(though not pork) for when you get the munchies.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
How visible is Guraidhoo? I like the whole experience of the Maldives which means not being able to see any other buildings close by. Stayed at the Taj Exotica a few years back and loved it other then the view of MLE which kind of spoilt it.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by onlysuites
How visible is Guraidhoo? I like the whole experience of the Maldives which means not being able to see any other buildings close by. Stayed at the Taj Exotica a few years back and loved it other then the view of MLE which kind of spoilt it.
Bump.... anyone?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:49 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Bump.... anyone?
I can't offer an answer based on personal experience, but I think a quick look at Google Maps should answer the question.

As mentioned above, Guraidhoo is very close by, so I'd say from the West and South of Kandooma it will be hard to overlook.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 5:24 am

Programs: *alliance G || skyteam Elite || etihad gold || hhonors gold || le club platinum
Bump.... anyone?
So we stayed for 6 nights on the Kandooma resort, it was a lovely resort, but quite expensive for food and activities.

We stayed based on points and into the night vouchers. So only room, we paid for an upgrade to an Beach Villa (77) for $60 extra each night. We did not had any fb package, so we did everything ala carte.

So the cheapest meal is around $17/18, breakfast is $30. For diner you can eat in the coffee club where a steak is around $40 and a burger is $21. Drinks were like 5 dollar for Coke etc. $5 for a Carlsberg draft beer and $7 for export beer (Heineken, Tiger). Wine is $12 for each glas and around $50 for a bottle.

Diving is around $100 for each dive, but it is definite worth to visit Kandooma thila to see Sharks, Rays and turtles.

You can also see some white tip reef sharks nearby Surfers corner. You can acces the neighbourhood island guraidhoo, but crossing the water. It's not recommended by the resort but you can swim easily to the other side. There you will find shops that will sell you food and drinks for local prices, be sure that you take some maldives rupee, they don't take cc.

Day trip to Male will costs you like 139$, a small tip if you want to visit this main island, do this on the start of the end of your trip. Male is nearby the airport, you can go by a ferry for 2 maldives rupee. We did this because our flight was arrived 10pm so we decided to stay for 1 night on the island. There is not much to do, but we did visit a supermarket to get our snacks and drinks. Oh Maldives doesn't allow to take alcohol into their country. So during the security control, our 2 bottles of wine were confiscated, on our flight back we did received our 2 bottles back. So If you are planning to bringing some liquor put them in plastics bottles instead glass.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:41 am

Bump.... anyone?
Yes you can see it from the water villas and that side of the island as others have stated. from the end of the water villas it's less that 100 yards to the other island, you can see locals on the foreshore and houses from the pool and restaurant
Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:31 am
Suspended

Is there any Ferry/ "black market boat taxi" wo can pic up from the island for an normal Price?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:05 am

Programs: *alliance G || skyteam Elite || etihad gold || hhonors gold || le club platinum
Originally Posted by ToGo
Is there any Ferry/ "black market boat taxi" wo can pic up from the island for an normal Price?
This is what i found during my research for the resort, in the end I ended up with that transfer with HI.

By dhoni : 30 Mrf (2€) per trip but beware with fixed schedules. Every day EXCEPT FRIDAY
Malé departute: 13:30 – Guraidhoo arrival: 15:30 (time to surf before it gets dark at 18:00)
Guraidhoo departute: 07:00 – Arrival in Malé: 09:00

Expect 45 min for transfers from airport to Malé (dhoni), then from Malé airport jetty to Guraidhoo dhoni jetty (with pick up taxi for your boardbag, 3 USD).

A chartered dhoni would cost 250 USD. No speedboat transfer option so far.

Notes : prices for 2013 with bed tax (8 USD) and GST (8%) included
Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:40 am
Suspended

I mean from the Kandooma Island to somethink who have a Public Shop?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by ToGo
I mean from the Kandooma Island to somethink who have a Public Shop?
no it's a private island.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.