Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Staybridge Suites Newcastle (UK) (Master Thrad)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2009, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Staybridge Suites Newcastle (UK) (Master Thrad)

I'd say the rooms are exactly the same as Roger notes in the Liverpool review but my expectations differed. As I booked a studio suite I expected the living room/kitchen area to be combined with the bedroom as that's what estate agents generally mean by the term 'studio'. The room was a decent size, bed comfortable, good range of channels on the TV, a complimentary welcome beer in the fridge and a good shower. I agree with Roger though that I'd miss a bath if I was taking a long stay.

I was told at check-in that they try to put platinum members on the top floor with a riverside view when possible. I enjoyed the view, you could see the bridges from the room as well as the Baltic gallery and the old Tyne Tees Television studios.

The staff certainly seem better than those Roger experienced in Liverpool, they were all friendly and seemed eager to please. There's no bar as such, there's a beer pump hiding behind a locked door in the kitchen area which is used on Monday - Thursday evenings when they offer free food and drink between 6 - 8 pm, as I was staying the weekend I never had the opportunity to sample this but the receptionist did offer me a free pint on arrival.

Breakfast finishes at 10:30 on weekends but they're not in a hurry to take stuff away so I seen people turn up later and still manage to get a decent breakfast. The range consists of a selection of cereal, pastries, breads, yoghurts and a number of hot items. On the Saturday this was bacon, scrambled eggs and beans, on Sunday the bacon had been replaced by sausages. Everything was self service, including the tea and coffee (the coffee machine is available to use all day) but the staff were on hand to ensure that the tables were kept clean. Overall the breakfast was better than a Holiday Inn Express.

Facilities: the hotel had a small gym and a laundry room which was free for guests to use (you could either supply your own detergent or buy it from their shop), the shop was 24 hours and stocked a range of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, snacks and microwave meals. Just like a Holiday Inn Express you're welcome to order in your own take away food (and you can earn points on this if you order online) or if the budget is tight you can prepare your own food in the in-room kitchen.

Location: close to the quayside and within walking distance of the main station if you're familiar with the area. If it's your first visit or have heavy bags I'd recommend a taxi from Newcastle Central station. The nearest Metro station is Manors, there's also a Manors National Rail station but this can be disregarded as it only has a couple of trains a day serving it. For the distance involved I'd not recommend getting the Metro from Central Station to Manors as the distance is so small but you'd need to change trains at Monument station. I believe the airport is about 25 minutes away on the Metro. I didn't use the Metro this trip but as far as I know these ticket machines still do not accept notes or credit cards so make sure you have some change. There are plans to update the ticket machines at some point.

Check-out: no problem allowing a 2pm check-out. No attempts to charge for what should be a standard Priority Club benefit.

Price: just like Liverpool it was quoted without VAT. The general rule with IHG properties is that only the ones in Central London are quoted without the VAT. Presumably because this hotel is aiming to be a 'home away from home' for business travellers they believe most people will be claiming their accommodation on expenses. The room rate was slightly cheaper than the HIX (even taking into account the VAT) and I believe I got a great deal.

Overall I'd recommend this place to stay particularly as it's priced competitively with the nearby HIX. For city centre stays the only IHG options are the HIX and this new Staybridge. There's also a Holiday Inn but that's too far from the centre.
Old May 16, 2011, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Staybridge Suites, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK - PICTURES

I recently stayed at the above property and posted in the Elite Stay Experience thread, but thought I would share some pictures of the property and a little more details.

I hope this is of interest.

I arrived at the property after a rather scary journey in a hire car from AVIS which is currently being dealt with via their Customer Relations department. I parked and went into reception and was welcomed by a lovely friendly lady who had just printed off my check in details which was a coincidence.

I was asked if I had stayed before and I had not. She told me how the property worked, where things were, what time breakfast was available till, where the Pantry was and how that worked etc... I confirmed the registration of my car so that it could be listed as having paid for parking.

As a result of the hire car problems, a breakdown service had to attend. I explained to the lady I had problems with the car and that someone was coming out. She told me not to worry, she would call my room when they arrived and she had let them in through the barriers so I could come down and meet them. She asked if I was OK and if I needed anything else etc... All very friendly and helpful. The same sort of treatment was ongoing for the single night stay, a great front of house team.

I booked a King Studio Suite on an advanced purchase rate of £65 + tax which worked out to be a total of £78. Parking is £8 per night which is fine.

I was not told that I had been upgraded, but on arrival at my room having passed through very well presented, clean and tastefully decorates common areas, I arrived at my room. When I entered, it was obvious that I had been upgraded to a King Bed One Bedroom Suite. It was very nice, here are some pictures of the property entrance and the suite:

Property Entrance.

Building Style.

Suite Living Room.

Looking towards Kitchen and Work Area.

Kitchen Amenities.

King Bed.

TV in Bedroom.

Entrance Area.

Part of the Bathroom.

The communal areas downstairs were of the same quality and look. There is a self serve area for breakfast which is shown here during the day when there is no service, however there is always coffee and tea available throughout the day:

Servery Area.

Breakfast Tables.

Lounge Area.

My Breakfast.

Breakfast was of good quality and plentiful. There was one man who was clearing tables and checking on food levels who was very friendly and helpful. It is a self serve area, however he was very happy to help people and get top ups of juice and coffee etc.

Overall, the property is great. If a decent rate is available when I go north again, I will certainly stay with them again. I would thoroughly recommend a stay here.

Regards,

BBB
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:27 am
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Many thanks, layz, for the detailed and accurate review. I also was very well treated during my weekend (redemption) stay last month, getting (exactly as you described) a top floor, river-view room.

Adding a note of another transport option: the property is just a couple of blocks from a stop on the recently-added Free CBD Shuttle that loops through town and along the quayside. (Actually two connected loops, so you have to make one transfer to see all the highlights of the city.) Regardless, a very effective way to familiarize yourself with the city before exploring in detail.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 6:50 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards-Platinum, BAEC-Blue, Hilton Hhonors-Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by LRD
Many thanks, layz, for the detailed and accurate review. I also was very well treated during my weekend (redemption) stay last month, getting (exactly as you described) a top floor, river-view room.

Adding a note of another transport option: the property is just a couple of blocks from a stop on the recently-added Free CBD Shuttle that loops through town and along the quayside. (Actually two connected loops, so you have to make one transfer to see all the highlights of the city.) Regardless, a very effective way to familiarize yourself with the city before exploring in detail.
I work in Newcastle from time to time and usually stay at the new HI in Jesmond-this is a good hotel but it's a little far out from the centre.

I was thinking of trying the Staybridge next time firstly for a change and secondly to add another brand to my stays for the new promotion-I haven't stayed at a Staybridge before and they're obviously designed for longer stays but can u stay for 1 or 2 nights which is what I will need next month.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards-Platinum, BAEC-Blue, Hilton Hhonors-Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by premier01
I work in Newcastle from time to time and usually stay at the new HI in Jesmond-this is a good hotel but it's a little far out from the centre.

I was thinking of trying the Staybridge next time firstly for a change and secondly to add another brand to my stays for the new promotion-I haven't stayed at a Staybridge before and they're obviously designed for longer stays but can u stay for 1 or 2 nights which is what I will need next month.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by premier01

Yes... You certainly can. That is what I did earlier this year and it was fantastic.

I booked a King Junior Suite and got a King 1 Bedroom Suite. I think I paid about £65 plus tax for the night. I needed the brand for "Crack the Case" and am converted now if I ever have to stay in Newcastle again. Although being that I am from Newcastle and have family, they find it a bit odd me wanting to stay in a hotel when I come home...

A really nice property, great staff, location is OK. Quick walk to the quayside and not too far from town, a little bit of a walk, but nothing that would kill you.

Parking was £8 a day for in and out and there is the little "pantry" in reception when you can buy a few bits and bobs on your way in and out if you get peckish.

Can not recommend it highly enough.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 5:29 pm

Thanks for that-I stayed here last week on business for 1 night-overall I was happy with the stay. I'm not sure I would rush back though-it was out of the way really and although it was a Monday night the quay side area was just desolate and the area was a student/council estate area that didn't feel particularly safe when walking around at night.

As it was a Monday night the free drinks reception wasn't on and I got zero Platinum status recognition-in fact it seemed like they didn't even provide PC service at all with the exception of Priority Check In which was very good; no complimentary newspaper, no room upgrade-not even a riverside view room, no free drinks and no acknowledgment of PC loyalty at check in so that wasn't good.

This happens from time to time and if the service, room quality and location offsets this then no problem-the room quality did to an extent at this property.

It could be that the short stay of 1 night meant others staying longer were given the better rooms although the hotel seemed quiet-a notice in reception advised that the company that owns the hotel was in administration but this wasn't evident in any way and the hotel didn't seemto be winding down!

I didn't have breakfast but the shop was good.

I probably would go back some time but if travelling by train and if you have meetings nearer the train station then the HIX is much more convenient-the HI Jesmond is easy to get to with a direct metro train and that is a good hotel.
There's a Hotel Indigo opening next year in the centre so that should be good.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Stayed here a few weeks ago -- hotel still feels pretty new, rooms were clean and well-equipped and the front desk staff were friendly and helpful.

It looks like there might not be any twin/two-bedded rooms in the hotel though. I had originally booked a King Studio Suite via points and since I was traveling with a friend, I called up to inquire about twin rooms or rollaway beds, which they didn't seem to have. All was fine though, as the front desk ended up "pre-upgrading" me (as a Platinum upgrade) to a King 1-Bedroom Suite the day before, since these rooms have sofabeds in the living room.

As mentioned by others, location is a bit outside of the centre (looks to be located in a university area) -- I think it was around a 15-20 minute walk to Newcastle Central station.

All in all, was a great stay and would recommend...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.