Wiki Posts
Search

US Anywhere/Any hotel Card Sale Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2008, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA RR CP, UA 1K, IHG Platinmum, Avis First, Hertz #1 Club Gold
US Anywhere/Any hotel Card Sale Questions

Last year in December PC had a half price sale on the cards. Is this an annual event or just a one time happening? Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 5, 2008, 6:03 pm

Programs: Sky Team Plat, Priority Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Sorry to hop on your thread but i was curious if these amex card could only be used for lodging or if they are good for anything.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whew, for a second I thought the promotion was back, given the lack of a question mark in the thread title. Last year was the first time they did that, AFAIK, although I'm hoping it'll be back as well.

Added by the moderator: I've edited the thread title as suggested - ralfkrippner, forum co-moderator

Last edited by ralfkrippner; Sep 6, 2008 at 2:46 am
Old Sep 5, 2008, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chj69
Sorry to hop on your thread but i was curious if these amex card could only be used for lodging or if they are good for anything.
Only for lodging, although it doesn't have to be a PC property.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 6:35 pm

Programs: Sky Team Plat, Priority Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Sorry to keep this going but do you happen to know what links these to only lodging? Has anyone ever tried to use one for anything else? Im just curious as i have a ton of points and getting amex cards for $250 sounds like a great way to use them if they can be used for something else. I know the cards arent tied to PC properties but what would stop them from being used elsewhere. Does Amex have it setup to where it will only accept from certain companies That are "lodging companies". What if i wanted to stay at a Bed and Breakfast that was a no name place. Its technically lodging but Bob's Stay here house INC could be anything to AMEX. Thanks in advance.

JP
Old Sep 5, 2008, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Whew, for a second I thought the promotion was back, given the lack of a question mark in the thread title. Last year was the first time they did that, AFAIK, although I'm hoping it'll be back as well.

Sorry, I use these cards exclusively as my reward redemptions and that sale was amazing. I will keep my eye out for it, I hope it comes back!
Old Sep 5, 2008, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, SWA A+, SPG Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Agreed. I suggest using a '?' in the future. I got way too excited.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Sorry to keep this going but do you happen to know what links these to only lodging? Has anyone ever tried to use one for anything else?
Yes for the second question. They only work with the properties that are coded as lodging/hotels on Amex.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K+1MM, MR Ttnm & lifetime PLT, Hilton Gld, IHG Pltn, Chi Dmd
umm.. ya

Originally Posted by edlin303
Agreed. I suggest using a '?' in the future. I got way too excited.

ya... i got way too excited too... I would suggest using the "?"
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
It wasn't just US - the GBP200 cards were a significantly better deal than any of the $US cards.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:44 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Hope it's back. What was last years promo again?
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jason8612
Hope it's back. What was last years promo again?
Half price, the $250US card was 29,500 points.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
a) yes, only hotels. I have accidentally tried to use these in a restaurant (they look too much like the Amex Blue card) and they don't work except in an Amex-accepting Hotel.
b) yes, the half price deal last year was out frickin standing, around a point equals a penny a dollar. But at the normal rate it's no bargain.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Sorry to keep this going but do you happen to know what links these to only lodging? Has anyone ever tried to use one for anything else? Im just curious as i have a ton of points and getting amex cards for $250 sounds like a great way to use them if they can be used for something else. I know the cards arent tied to PC properties but what would stop them from being used elsewhere. Does Amex have it setup to where it will only accept from certain companies That are "lodging companies". What if i wanted to stay at a Bed and Breakfast that was a no name place. Its technically lodging but Bob's Stay here house INC could be anything to AMEX. Thanks in advance.

JP
The cards do not even work for all lodging. I tried redeeming one at a state park lodge and ran into problems. I was working with an understanding manager and he told me after consultation with AMEX support that the AMEX system recognizes them as a different type of card versus a credit or gift card. The lodge was not setup to handle that type but I was allowed to surrender the card and they would handle it. I would not bank on using these outside of a traditional hotel setting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.