Wiki Posts
Search

Government Rate

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Government Rate

Hi!

I am employed by Japanese Local Government (Tokyo). Am I qualified to make a reservation at this rate?

Thank you.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 2:40 am

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by ASIANTRAVELLER
Hi!

I am employed by Japanese Local Government (Tokyo). Am I qualified to make a reservation at this rate?

Thank you.
There is no reason why you should not be able to take advantage of government rates. However, ensure you have a copy of your official ID with you to prove your status if required. While you may not be asked, having proof of government employment with you will save any potential embarrassment. Good luck!
Old Apr 16, 2007, 3:39 am

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
I was told by the Priorityclub.com online chat that I couldn't use this, working for a UK govt department, so YMMV.

Frequently book a govt rate in the UK, but never been brave enough to do it in the US, in spite of our country having a 'special relationship'.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 4:20 am

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by Macspreader
I was told by the Priorityclub.com online chat that I couldn't use this, working for a UK govt department, so YMMV.

Frequently book a govt rate in the UK, but never been brave enough to do it in the US, in spite of our country having a 'special relationship'.
As nowhere does the site say US Government Rate only, I suggest that anyone from a government agency should make the booking, note which government agency they work with in the comments box, and if necessary contract the hotel in advance to confirm they will honour the rate (this shouldk be assumed in the tone of the mail, rather than raising a doubt as to whether they will).
Old Apr 16, 2007, 4:21 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
My properties regularly honor Gov rate for employees of foreign governments. You shouldn't have any problem, just make sure you bring proper ID in the local language
Old Apr 16, 2007, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for many reply.

I will confirm to the properties.

>mkt
By the way, what does "my properties" mean?
Old Apr 16, 2007, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

I got e-mail from InterContinental Hotels & Resorts Support.
They said as follows

The government rate applies to:
!) All government employees (federal, state, county, local, provincial governments)
!) Military personnel / civilian personnel
!) International government and military personnel
!) State funded higher education universities and health care facilities
!) Cost Reimbursable Contractors (CRCs)

So the e-mail means that I can stay at that special rate.
Does anyone stayed at this rate?
I will stay BKK and SIN, what can I expect as an Pt. ambassader and at this rate?

Thank you.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
The Government Rate is intended for those staying on government business. On those occasions when I have used it, I have always had a letter or email from the department/agency I was under contract with confirming I was on government business should the hotel insist on ID or other validation. This has never been asked for though.

If you are traveling on government business you will only be reimbursed for the government rate, so there would be nothing inappropriate about booking it. However, if you are traveling on personal business or for vacation, it is definitely frowned upon. (This is no different from using a negotiated Corporate Rate that the ICH group has with various companies. It is not intended for employees to use unless they are on company business. Just because you work for that company, or for the government, doesn't entitle you to those rates when you are traveling for personal, non-work related reasons.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by ASIANTRAVELLER
I will stay BKK and SIN, what can I expect as an Pt. ambassader and at this rate?
It appears that you are not traveling on government business, which I would suggest would constitute an improper use of the government rate. There response likely assumed you were, so it is seldom prefaced with this rather important concept.

That said, I received my Plat PC benefits when I stayed at the CP in Ottawa on a government rate for a government project. Was upgraded to Club floor room
Old Apr 18, 2007, 6:56 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite, Continental Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Gold
I don't use government rates and I never have BUT I can't find anything on the rate information, or on a mock booking that indicates any of the conditions or implications you suggest.

It really only specifies that you must have the appropriate ID.

So either everyone is jumping to their own conclusions, or the hotel simply does not publish these "rules".

Can we find a set of rules from ICHotels so that we are clear on what the truth is?

If I worked for a government and had the appropriate ID, I would not have a reason not to book on that rate, in the same way that I now use the Entertainment Card often to book rates while I am on business.

Originally Posted by Shareholder
The Government Rate is intended for those staying on government business. On those occasions when I have used it, I have always had a letter or email from the department/agency I was under contract with confirming I was on government business should the hotel insist on ID or other validation. This has never been asked for though.

If you are traveling on government business you will only be reimbursed for the government rate, so there would be nothing inappropriate about booking it. However, if you are traveling on personal business or for vacation, it is definitely frowned upon. (This is no different from using a negotiated Corporate Rate that the ICH group has with various companies. It is not intended for employees to use unless they are on company business. Just because you work for that company, or for the government, doesn't entitle you to those rates when you are traveling for personal, non-work related reasons.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eastcoastcan
I don't use government rates and I never have BUT I can't find anything on the rate information, or on a mock booking that indicates any of the conditions or implications you suggest.

It really only specifies that you must have the appropriate ID.

So either everyone is jumping to their own conclusions, or the hotel simply does not publish these "rules".

Can we find a set of rules from ICHotels so that we are clear on what the truth is?

If I worked for a government and had the appropriate ID, I would not have a reason not to book on that rate, in the same way that I now use the Entertainment Card often to book rates while I am on business.
There are certain "givens", "assumptons" that are made that someone using a government rate will be on government business just as someone using a corporate rate will indeed be an employee of that company traveling on company business. These guidelines were drafted decades ago when access to corporate account numbers and ethics generally suggested that people using these rates were honestly involved in business travel on behalf of their employer. Nowadays such ethical understandings have gone by the board.

Corporate and Government rates are negotiated and provided on the basis of business travel and volume being delivered to ICH (and other hotel chains that have similar rates). They are not granted to all employees for personal travel just because the person happens to work for the given company or government.

In fact, it is discriminatory under the US civil rights act to provide discounts or access on the basis of being a class of person. Thus such rates are negotiated with the specific intention that these a business transactions between parties, and not to serve a class of person. In this case, the class of person would be considered anyone working for a government or corporation having a special rate with ICH. The proviso being such rates will be granted on the basis of providing accommodation when traveling on business for the company or government holding the agreement. But not traveling for non-business related purposes, in which case the person reverts to being a special class, and thus violating civil rights laws.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 8:35 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Military and Government Hotel Rates

IHG honors and recognizes those who serve our country, either in public service or on the front lines. With more than 3,600 hotels and 537,000 guestrooms in nearly 100 countries and territories, our hotels can be found wherever your travels may take you. Simply present your official identification or work orders at check-in. Military service personnel receive the government hotel rate for both official and leisure travel.

It is our pleasure to open our doors and make your stay as comfortable as possible. More than 3,000 participating hotels worldwide provide government rates for official government travel. And your recognition doesn’t end with government rates. A large number of participating hotels also offer unique amenities customized to government travelers in their hotels, such as free continental breakfast, free local telephone calls, or more...it's included in your government hotel rate.

▪ All government employees (federal, state, county, local, provincial governments)

▪ Military personnel / civilian personnel

▪ International government and military personnel

▪ State funded higher education universities and health care facilities

▪ Cost Reimbursable Contractors (CRCs)
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:08 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
There are certain "givens", "assumptons" that are made that someone using a government rate will be on government business just as someone using a corporate rate will indeed be an employee of that company traveling on company business...
I stay on GOV rates quite often for both official travel and leisure travel. You are incorrectly "assuming" your statement about assumptions to be true, which is demonstrated by the post above this one stating IHG's policy. Assumptions asside, there are different policies at different hotels. Some, like Hyatt usually ask me for travel orders to show that I am on government business. Others, like IHG and Hilton ask me only for my military ID upon checkin. Whenever I'm not sure of their policy on leisure travel I call ahead for clarification. If I went by your contention I would be paying more much of the time when I don't need to. You should never assume anything. Call the hotel and ask.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:45 am

There are certain "givens", "assumptons" that are made that someone using a government rate will be on government business just as someone using a corporate rate will indeed be an employee of that company traveling on company business. ...
Would your "givens" and "assumptions" also suggest that clergy use their special rates only when traveling on clerical business?
Old Apr 18, 2007, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Canadian government employee guidelines are quite clear that the Government Rate can only be used when on official government business:

"2) ACCOMMODATION (FOR OVERNIGHT TRAVEL ONLY)

The standard for accommodation is a single room in a safe environment, conveniently located and comfortably equipped.
A variety of options for accommodation are available. Generally these include hotels and motels. The attached Accommodation List should serve as a guide for the cost, location and selection of accommodation.
At the time of making the reservation, the candidate should mention that he/she is [B]traveling on government business[B], in order to obtain the government rate."

I would expect similar restrictions apply for other governments.

As for Clergy...Churches have always been exempt from civil rights legislation and agreements can in this case include a class of people and not violate civil restrictions that would otherwise apply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.