Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Cairo Citystars (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2004, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
IC Helipolis Cairo - Any experiences?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has stayed at the (fairly) new IC Helipolis Cairo and what their impressions were. Planning on staying there for one night before Christmas and was wondering if it is actually worth it. As it is a new property, I was especially wondering if there are still some "problems" to be ironed out so to speak. Thanks for your input.

Cheers ...
Old Oct 26, 2004, 7:33 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I will be there on Saturday and will post.

(So far I know that their Meet and Greet service is US$20 and transfer (up to 3 people) is $15.)
Old Oct 27, 2004, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Markie
I will be there on Saturday and will post.

(So far I know that their Meet and Greet service is US$20 and transfer (up to 3 people) is $15.)
Thanks Markie, I'll be looking forward to it. As it is a fairly new place I was wondering whether the operations are running smoothly already. Have a pleasant trip. Cheers ....

Last edited by demue; Oct 28, 2004 at 5:48 am
Old Oct 27, 2004, 6:28 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Well... It's Cairo... Need I say more Good luck navigating the airport... But I guess it is the ultimate destination that really counts
Old Oct 31, 2004, 4:58 am

The hotel is very nice and clearly new. The lobby is large and had a very Classy Egyptian theme through out.
The staff are excellent, very keen to help and concerned that I had a good stay.
Rooms are a little small but bright and light with dark wood.
Bathroom nice, marble and a nice big bath.
Lifts are a bit different. There are no buttons on the inside of the cars! You choose the floor you want from large buttons on each floor. A display shows you which lift will take you and once you climb aboard it knows which floors to choose. Very Smooth.
Huge selection of TV channels - something like 50.
No wireless internet, but internet on the TV which I hate.
Tea/Coffee facilities in room.
Hotel is located in a developing area and as such the roads around the building are not fully finished.
Not much to do if you want to go out in the day.
Excellent facility!
Old Oct 31, 2004, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Markie
The hotel is very nice and clearly new. The lobby is large and had a very Classy Egyptian theme through out.
The staff are excellent, very keen to help and concerned that I had a good stay.
Rooms are a little small but bright and light with dark wood.
Bathroom nice, marble and a nice big bath.
Lifts are a bit different. There are no buttons on the inside of the cars! You choose the floor you want from large buttons on each floor. A display shows you which lift will take you and once you climb aboard it knows which floors to choose. Very Smooth.
Huge selection of TV channels - something like 50.
No wireless internet, but internet on the TV which I hate.
Tea/Coffee facilities in room.
Hotel is located in a developing area and as such the roads around the building are not fully finished.
Not much to do if you want to go out in the day.
Excellent facility!
Thanks Markie, at least now I have got some idea. If the facilites are good that's all I need for that one night. I picked it because it is close to the airport. How did you transfer between airport and the hotel if you don't mind me asking. Thanks.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 8:09 am

I arranged the transfer by emailing the hotel using the address on their web site. They replied within 4 hours. I also paid for the meet&greet service and the guy was helpful. There is a desk after Customs, which wasn't manned but the meet&greet service employee seemed to man it.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
IC Cairo Citystars (Master Thread)

I am planning for 4 nights Cairo in June (Wed-Sun).

My current plan is to spend the first two nights at the Four Seasons Nile Plaza. This will allow me to (a) benefit from the well respected FS meet and greet service inside the airport, (b) have 2 nights downtown for easy access to the Egyptian Museum and other downtown sights and (c) experience staying by the Nile.

My thought was that, after 2 nights downtown, I would spend the last two nights - Friday and Saturday - at Citystars. My logic for doing this is currently:

(a) Citystars is new, generally well regarded and won't be much of a drop down in standards from the Four Seasons, especially if I pay for a suite or junior suite with club access
(b) After two nights staying in the City Centre, I might be grateful for a couple of quiet nights on the outskirts
(c) If I visit the pyramids on Saturday, it makes little difference whether I am based in the Four Seasons or on the outskirts at Citystars
(d) Citystars is near the airport and will be convenient for my return flight on Sunday afternoon, and I can spend Sunday morning having a look around the Citystars mall
(e) They will take my weekend night voucher, which will save me some money

I'd be grateful if anyone with experience of Cairo and / or Citystars can let me know if my plan makes sense. I have been put off the downtown IC by recent reports!
Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:44 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by Raffles
I am planning for 4 nights Cairo in June (Wed-Sun).

My current plan is to spend the first two nights at the Four Seasons Nile Plaza. This will allow me to (a) benefit from the well respected FS meet and greet service inside the airport, (b) have 2 nights downtown for easy access to the Egyptian Museum and other downtown sights and (c) experience staying by the Nile.

My thought was that, after 2 nights downtown, I would spend the last two nights - Friday and Saturday - at Citystars. My logic for doing this is currently:

(a) Citystars is new, generally well regarded and won't be much of a drop down in standards from the Four Seasons, especially if I pay for a suite or junior suite with club access
(b) After two nights staying in the City Centre, I might be grateful for a couple of quiet nights on the outskirts
(c) If I visit the pyramids on Saturday, it makes little difference whether I am based in the Four Seasons or on the outskirts at Citystars
(d) Citystars is near the airport and will be convenient for my return flight on Sunday afternoon, and I can spend Sunday morning having a look around the Citystars mall
(e) They will take my weekend night voucher, which will save me some money

I'd be grateful if anyone with experience of Cairo and / or Citystars can let me know if my plan makes sense. I have been put off the downtown IC by recent reports!
I have booked a trip to CAI at the end of April and will stay for 3 nights. I have booked at IC Pyramids, because I want to see the great culture. For a daytrip to Cairo I can take a taxi or a guided tour.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Bump ... I know Cairo is a bit off the beating track, but ...!
Old Feb 28, 2007, 5:58 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
I stayed at the CityStars IC for a couple of nights (on two separate occasions before and after our Nile cruise) last month.

Hotel location is indeed close to the airport (i.e. 20 minutes-ish). Lobby is large and rather opulent. The first time we arrived at the hotel at 3:30am because the BA flight was delayed at LHR! At that time of morning the front desk told us to go up to the club level which was still open for check-in.

I had booked a "1 QUEEN BED RESIDENCE STUDIO - 3 PERSON(S) MAX PER ROOM 48 SQM AVERAGE SIZE LOCATED IN RESIDENCE SUITE TOWER WITH SOFA BED BALCONY KITCHENETTE 60 TV CHANNELS MARBLE BATH SAFE FULL HOTEL SERVICE 24HR ROOM SVC AND MANNED RECEPTION SUITABLE FOR EXTENDED STAY GUESTS BED 200 X 160 CM " for triple occupancy. Rate was about US$220 per night.

Got (upgraded I guess?) a similar sized suite in the main wing with club access. It had a separate living room (with roll-away bed) and 2 washrooms, but neither baclcony nor kitchenette. (Didn't really want to argue at 4am!)

Club lounge was decent. Breakfast spread was standard, but the fresh juices were excellent. ^ All day soft drinks, and evening cocktails were nice too. I tried their Egyptian wine and it was surprisingly good! (Grown with French collaboration of course. ) Enough hot food in the evenings to pass for dinner in the lounge.

Minibar was incredibly poor though. No proper hard liquor whatsoever. Just some local beer and wine, besides juices and soda. Fruit, water and RA amenity had to be chased up. Amenity was a small empty coloured glass bottle to put perfume in. And they also left a tray of sticky-honey covered local pastries.

We had a private guide and driver throughout our Cairo stay. The guide met us airside on arrival, took us thru immigration etc. He arranged our Giza Pyramids tours etc.

Oh, and we went for lunch at the Mena House Oberoi, after the Pyramids tour. Decent food, but incredibly rich and not for those with mild stomachs!
Old Mar 1, 2007, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Citystars attracts people with business in the Nasr City/Heliopolois parts of the city and those on retail orgies to the shopping and entertainment mall linked to the hotel. There is absolutely nothing else to interest the tourist in the immediate vicinity.

It can be a long and tortuous trip into the city or across to Giza: but this depends on the time of day. Using hotel cars is expensive but comfortable: local taxis are cheap but hot. You'll need some knowledge of how much the trip SHOULD cost before contracting a taxi. The airport is ten minutes away, and its probably less hassle to use the (expensive) hotel cars to get there.

The hotel is something of a resort itself. The pool is love it or hate it in design, but it is big. The health club/spa is large, attractive and well equipped. The hotel has excellent restaurants, and there are cheaper alternatives next-door in the mall.

My upgrades have always been to a corner suite. Smallish but functional: the minibar is typical of the region - soft drinks and beer. The lounge does what it should, and I found the staff there extremely helpful. The evening snacks offered there are really top quality.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Mar 1, 2007 at 2:53 am
Old Mar 1, 2007, 3:19 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Has anybody also experiences from the IC PYRAMIDS PARK RESORT CAIRO ?
Old Mar 1, 2007, 6:37 am

I stayed there a few times 1 to 3 years back when CAI was the best place for RTW tickets. It is nice, clean, modern and not too expensive. Typically booked the cheapest room (around 100/120 US$ then) and got upgraded to a small corner suite (2 rooms), no club.
It is half way between the airport and the city. The shopping center next door has several restaurants and the typical international selection of shops.

Since the pyramids are on the other side of the city it can be a fairly long drive, but the hotel cars are clean, nice at about twice the cost of a taxi (still cheap compared to European cities).

My recommendation: Stay the first and/or last night there, since it is easy to get to/from the airport - specially after a long flight. Spend two nights downtown close to the Museum. And in case if you want to spend more time at the pyramids stay one night there - otherwise it is a half day trip from downtown.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver, FB Silver, EB Silver, RR Silver.
ive booked 1 QUEEN BED RESIDENCE STUDIO for easter holidays, we are 3 people, and asked please thru email to be upgraded in advance while sending our flight info for pickup.. Ive got a upgrade to 1 bedroom residence suite apartment.. and they said they will upgrade me to 2 bedroom residence on check-in if available.. going to stay there for 6 nights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.