Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

GONE: IC Al Ain Resort, United Arab Emirates (now Danat Resort Al Ain)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE: IC Al Ain Resort, United Arab Emirates (now Danat Resort Al Ain)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:22 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Originally Posted by nicolas75
IC Al-Bustan is open for reservation from 1st November 2008

The cheapest rate starts at US Dollar 550!! (EUR 380), tax included
The Al Bustan is where?

In which Emirate or Country?
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:24 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Originally Posted by candadep
I would also recommend the IC Abu Dhabi. Its reasonably close to Al Ain and is quite a beautiful city. If you are flying First or Business on Emirates, you get free chaffeur service from DXB to Abu Dhabi and back.

-----c
The Abu Dhabi IC is on the beach and doesnt look too bad,

Any information on the Club level, does it include free cocktail hour?

What is the upgrade policy? Does it include club access?

Finally the minibar, does it include alcohol?
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by nicolas75
IC Al-Bustan is open for reservation from 1st November 2008

The cheapest rate starts at US Dollar 550!! (EUR 380), tax included
Found the Al Bustan, what is the upgrade policy?

Do they have a club lounge?

Free minibar for RA's?
Old Sep 8, 2008, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by navatwal
The Al Bustan is where?

In which Emirate or Country?
Hi Navatwal - Al Bustan is the second IC in Oman. It's one of the "trophy" IC's, in much the way the Bali property is. It's certainly impressively sited, but rather isolated, and it attracts quite a number of well-heeled tour groups - which seemed predominantly Swiss and German when I was last there. The place has been through a long renovation, so should be in tip-top condition now. For me, isolation and tour groups are strong negatives, though they may not be for you - and car hire is readily available and not expensive in Oman.

Muscat's other IC is much more mainstream, leisure and business mix, with pools and health club and some good restaurants. It's on the beach on the way into town from the airport, with shops and restaurants within easy reach. It was my introduction to Six Continents, the forerunner of Ambassador, so perhaps I have a soft spot for it, but it continues to be one of my favourite ICs.

You could try them both!

Salalah is about an hour's flight - a long day's drive - from Muscat and has an HI recently turned CP. It's an interesting place to visit for a day or so.

El Ain is a joy to visit if you are coming from spending time in the traffic jam that is Dubai. The IC is quite low-key but comfortable enough.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 10:06 am

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by navatwal
The Abu Dhabi IC is on the beach and doesnt look too bad,

Any information on the Club level, does it include free cocktail hour?

What is the upgrade policy? Does it include club access?

Finally the minibar, does it include alcohol?

Saw IC Abu Dhabi while it was being renovated. Director of Sales told me that RAs would get junior suite and club access. Saw some club rooms, which looked very nice. Club lounge is quite large with great sea/harbour views.

Have not yet stayed, as I have not been back in Abu Dhabi since it reopened.

Hope this is helpful.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Virgin Flying Club Silver, ICH Royal Ambassador
Stayed al Al Ain for 5 days in the sun as an RA.

Got treated like a sultan with a great suite and well looked after. It's a tired property but pleasant enough and not too much to do once you've seen the mall, the fort and the camel market.

Heat like an inferno and nice pool and reasonable food. I got it super cheap and at the price had no complaints.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 4:56 am

In regards to the IC Abu Dhabi,

I have decided to saty here and have a stay coming up soon. I am a RA and was wodnering on:

What is the upgrade policy like at this hotel, do you get club access and do you get a proper well-stocked minibar?

Many thanks.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 7:08 pm
Community Director Emerita

Any recent stay experiences? How are RAs currently treated? How does the property compare with the Hilton Al Ain?

How long a drive is it to Muscat from here?
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:39 pm

Programs: IC RA, PC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, LH HON, FB Platinum, EK Gold
Unfortunately I had to learn that Al Ain is not part of IHG anymore

See also: http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/interco...sort-locations
Old Jun 19, 2011, 12:09 am

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Spire, HHonors Diamond, EK Gold
Property is now the Danat Resort Al Ain, which is an in house brand of the property's owners (National Corporation for Tourism & Hotels). They also own the IC Abu Dhabi so hope that doesn't change brand anytime soon. IC Al Ain was never a top quality IC but used it a few times as a cost effective weekend getaway.

Of the other hotels in Al Ain, I have stayed in the Hilton, Grand Mercure, and Rotana, and would probably rate the Rotana as the best property. Grand Mercure has a great location looking over Al Ain from Jebel Hafeet but the hotel itself is pretty mediocre. The Hilton is a little tired and the service is often slow but it is not sufficiently below the standard of the other properties in town that I would avoid it if I had any allegiance to Hilton.

Muscat is a 3-4 hour drive from the Buraimi crossing on the outskirts of Al Ain if you take the faster route along the coast. There is also the option to take the longer route over the mountains (6-7 hours), which goes via Nizwa, Bahla Fort, and Al Hotta Cave.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Any recent stay experiences? How are RAs currently treated? How does the property compare with the Hilton Al Ain?

How long a drive is it to Muscat from here?
It's an OK place, nice enough, but with a very "weekend resort" atmosphere. Not aquite up to the standard of the Hilton, but perfectly fine. Not the easiest place to find if you are driving in from DXB.

Car to Muscat can be compicated, and more expensive, if you rent in UAE (insurance/documentation). Last time a friend in MCT arranged a car for us over the border in Buraimi: we crossed the border by taxi, picked up the car, then took the inland, mountain road, stopping overnight in Nizwa: great fun! Other times I have taken the Buraimi Muscat bus, or driven with a car picked up at DXB. The bus a comfortable, cost effective alternative!

Last edited by IAN-UK; Jun 19, 2011 at 2:58 am Reason: oops just seen the posts about brand-shift. Very sad!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.