FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   IC Hong Kong Master Thread (closed for renovation until 2022) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/555698-ic-hong-kong-master-thread-closed-renovation-until-2022-a.html)

WilcoRoger Jan 13, 2011 7:11 am

Originally Posted by uproared (Post 15649169)
I stayed at the IC Hong Kong on points and had a great stay.

Was welcomed by the manager, offered a harbour view room for a nominal fee (not the amount being quoted here, about the cost of 1 breakfast at the IC) after I emailed them, and received complementary mini-bar.

lucky you! Are you RA?

Cheetah_SA Jan 13, 2011 7:51 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger (Post 15647815)
2/ Friends & Family - no Ambassador privileges (confirmed by the hotel in writing!) :mad: Options Superior harbour view at 1600HKD or Deluxe harbour view at 2100HKD/night

That does not accord with my experience in October. I did not get a room upgrade (was told once occupancy is above a certain level they don't ugrade F&F - so it's still possible). But I did get a gift of fruit & tea and a 4pm late checkout. In fact the late c/o was proactively offered before I even asked.

The treatment I received is also the official IC line on how Ambs should be treated on F&F. (See that thread for confirmation.)

stimpy Jan 13, 2011 9:10 am

Originally Posted by uproared (Post 15649169)
Was welcomed by the manager, offered a harbour view room for a nominal fee (not the amount being quoted here, about the cost of 1 breakfast at the IC) after I emailed them, and received complementary mini-bar.

There must be something more to the story. Pretty much everyone else here, myself included, gets none of that as RA's on award stays. Maybe you are a very regular paying customer or have some other considerations.

WilcoRoger Jan 13, 2011 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA (Post 15649475)
That does not accord with my experience in October. I did not get a room upgrade (was told once occupancy is above a certain level they don't ugrade F&F - so it's still possible).

good point, what I meant was that no room upg for F&F bookings (this was confirmed by the hotel), didn't think of the rest of the privileges. Sorry for the sloppy wording.

uproared Jan 13, 2011 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 15649994)
There must be something more to the story. Pretty much everyone else here, myself included, gets none of that as RA's on award stays. Maybe you are a very regular paying customer or have some other considerations.

Actually, nothing more to the story.

I had never stayed there before (revenue or award).

When I made the reservation I emailed them and asked whether I could pay a supplement to upgrade to a harbour view room, to which they replied that they were expecting to be fully booked and could not offer it. About 1 month later they sent me another email offering the upgrade. Ended up spending a bit at the IC HK (e.g. meals, airport limo, etc.), but nothing significant.

In fact, something similar happened at the IC Bora Bora. I was booked on points, emailed them regarding an upgrade and they replied with the fee schedule (expensive!) and then about a month later they emailed me to offer a complementary upgrade to a diamond OWB. I also received complementary minibar at that property.

cbechdel Jan 14, 2011 6:31 am

With regard to the main IC Hotel on the harbour, what is the real difference between "deluxe" and "Superior" harbour view rooms? One is a bit larger according to website.

I've stayed here 3 times in the past, but don't recall my room type. Once was upgraded to Jr. Suite corner room overlooking the pool.

Perhaps someone has an email for me to contact hotel directly?

WilcoRoger Jan 14, 2011 9:57 am

Originally Posted by cbechdel (Post 15656446)
With regard to the main IC Hotel on the harbour, what is the real difference between "deluxe" and "Superior" harbour view rooms? One is a bit larger according to website.

I've stayed here 3 times in the past, but don't recall my room type. Once was upgraded to Jr. Suite corner room overlooking the pool.

Perhaps someone has an email for me to contact hotel directly?

AFAIK 33 sqm vs 40 sqm - quite a difference, I think

Flying Lawyer Jan 14, 2011 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger (Post 15657676)
AFAIK 33 sqm vs 40 sqm - quite a difference, I think

Considering that the bathroom has about 10 sqm in both room types, the difference in size of the rest of the room is even more substantial. BTW: I booked a Superior Suite under the Ambassador Weekend Rate (Yes, it was available) and today they confirmed an upgrade to an Executive Suite with full harbour view.

WilcoRoger Jan 24, 2011 2:14 am

This is getting weird - just checked my F&F booking (booked Deluxe Harbour view) now it shows Superior Junior Suite. ^

Chinatrvl Jan 24, 2011 5:01 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger (Post 15721505)
This is getting weird - just checked my F&F booking (booked Deluxe Harbour view) now it shows Superior Junior Suite. ^

Careful. Do request a deluxe junior suite - which is the standard upgrade from a deluxe harbour view room. Superior junior suites (xx00-rooms) have an awkward partial harbour view that might/will disappoint.

Flying Lawyer Jan 24, 2011 7:55 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger (Post 15721505)

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl (Post 15721878)
Careful. Do request a deluxe junior suite - which is the standard upgrade from a deluxe harbour view room. Superior junior suites (xx00-rooms) have an awkward partial harbour view that might/will disappoint.

I agree to Chinatrvl. I would not want the Upgrade to a Superior Junior Suite. But I would complain at checkin - after all Deluxe Harbour view rooms are gone.

Unterwegs Jan 24, 2011 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl (Post 15721878)

Agree. I had refused upgrades to these 00 type rooms (there is a similar layout on the other end). The rooms are actually facing the street. There is a side window where you can see part of the harbor. (This btw is often te upgrade for a street view room).
You will be better of with a regular room and full view.

stimpy Jan 24, 2011 11:19 pm

I don't know about -00 junior suites, but I recently was in room 701 which is a superior junior suite, in fact a corner suite, which had excellent views. It is angled, which cuts you off from anything to the left of the convention center. But the rest of the island is in clear view. Plus you get full wraparound views of Kowloon. And this time of the year the sunset is directly in front of you. ^

WilcoRoger Jan 25, 2011 1:19 am

Thanks for the head-ups!

I guess we'll just have a look at the jr suite on offer and I will let the missus have the final word if we should move from the deluxe harbour view to the jun.suite. Maybe she will have enjoyed enough of the view for two nights and will prefer the jr. suite for the rest of the stay :)

At the moment we look forward to

Amb weekend sup harbour view -> deluxe harbour view

followed by

F&F deluxe harbour view -> jr suite

stimpy Jan 25, 2011 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Unterwegs (Post 15723358)
Agree. I had refused upgrades to these 00 type rooms (there is a similar layout on the other end). The rooms are actually facing the street. There is a side window where you can see part of the harbor. (This btw is often te upgrade for a street view room).
You will be better of with a regular room and full view.

To be clear, the 01 junior suite (at least 701 I can speak to) faces Central. The slightly smaller window on the right side of the room and the bathroom window face Kowloon.

Oh, and I should say that 701 was an RA upgrade from a Superior Harbor AMBWeekend BOGO booking.