Search

Crowne Plaza Santiago, Chile [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2006, 1:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Crowne Plaza Santiago, Chile [Master Thread]

Did a search but could not find any reviews of the hotel.

Rooms, service, location?

Thanks
Old Feb 19, 2006, 12:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by andrzej
Did a search but could not find any reviews of the hotel.

Rooms, service, location?

Thanks
People often stay there when conventions are in town; and although it's not the safest of safe areas at night, it's very well located for visitors and rather safe. Rooms are ok, but nothing special. Service is decent and they handle early check-in and late check-out very well generally.

I'd certainly not choose this over the other international brands there -- other than perhaps over the Four Points by Sheraton or the Radisson -- but I would not put this on an "avoid" or "bad value" list either.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Stayed at this property about five or six years ago when I was last in Santiago -- also checked out the IC in a more trendier district -- and had no complaints. It was a standard, high quality 4-star CP, not quite in the luxury 5-star category like the IC, but not tacky in the least. Staff was pleasant and I was upgraded to a Club level room with very good view up O'Higgins. Good sized room too and nice spread in the lounge.

Found the place a better location for general sightseeing than the IC or even the Four Pts, though both these are in nightlife districts so may be more to your liking. And both are on the Metro line so are accessible to other points in the city. Though it is next to the Congress Centre, so best stayed at when nothing is happening.

You can walk to most museums and galleries, and across the river to the university district and the zoo or home of poet Pablo Neruda and a most folksy eating area. There was an artisan's market down the road if you are looking for unique souvenirs and gifts.

I would stay here again were I returning to Santiago.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
and although it's not the safest of safe areas at night, it's very well located for visitors and rather safe.
?? huh ???
Old Feb 19, 2006, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by PSUhorty
?? huh ???
It's safe enough -- especially in the daylight hours -- but there have been some purse snatching and mugging incidents outside the hotel in the vicinity at night.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 2:44 pm

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
Just stayed at both the IC and the CP in Santiago.

The IC was a bit disappointing with a complete failure to recognize my RA status (this was a paid stay booked via the PC website so I don´t think they had any excuses for not knowing I am a RA). I had to ask for a room upgrade and was given the smallest room on the club floor. I asked for non-smoking room and was given the reverse. There was no welcome gift, no fruit, no water. Nada. They even locked the mini-bar. They did give club lounge access in the evenings however and the club was very nice.

The CP on the other hand was an excellent CP. Of the two stays the CP was much better (almost in every way) than the IC.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Austman
The IC was a bit disappointing with a complete failure to recognize my RA status (this was a paid stay booked via the PC website so I don´t think they had any excuses for not knowing I am a RA). I had to ask for a room upgrade and was given the smallest room on the club floor. I asked for non-smoking room and was given the reverse. There was no welcome gift, no fruit, no water. Nada. They even locked the mini-bar. They did give club lounge access in the evenings however and the club was very nice.
This exact same thing happened to me when I was there first time last year. I sent a complaint to Ambassador Service center that I CC'ed to the GM. They comped the entire stay.

The following stay this August went very smoothly probably because all the notes in my account. I received a nice suite. BTW the IC doesn't have too many suites (only 6 or close to that).
Old Nov 18, 2007, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, ICH Plat RA, Hyatt Diamond, LAN Prem Silver
Just stayed at both the IC and the CP in Santiago.

The CP on the other hand was an excellent CP. Of the two stays the CP was much better (almost in every way) than the IC.

I stayed at both hotels back in August.

The staff at both hotels were extremely pleasant.

I was upgraded to a club floor room on a points break at the CP and to a delightful suite at the IC on a paid stay. I am also a Royal Ambassador.

I would definitely recommend the CP to first time visitors to Santiago.
Dont forget to visit Pablo Neruda's houses - one in Santiago , the other about 90 minutes drive away at Isla Negra. A fascinating man in the Hemmingway mould.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
It's been a long time since there have been reports on this property. Any more recent visit experiences? Do they still upgrade Platinums to the Club level?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shareholder
It's been a long time since there have been reports on this property. Any more recent visit experiences? Do they still upgrade Platinums to the Club level?
I was there couple of times last year. Yes. You will receive a club access. Didn't go the breakfast but had some booze in the evening with friends. The selectiomn of evening snacks is very limited but the alcohol selection is fine. I like the weird layout of the club with the pool table.

Here's YouTube video of the room I had: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_s2SnGirSA

The Radisson Plaza is a good option as well. Received a suite for being a Gold member. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlVjrdQlGVM
Old Feb 28, 2013, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to returning to the CP after a number of years. I have generally stayed at the IC but find the IC Club standards have dropped significantly since they moved into the new wing. While the old Club showed its age, the food in both evening and morning was very good and wide ranging. Now it's pathetic and barely gets set out in the rather small lounge.

As it turns out, I booked the CP for the night I will be in Santiago and then requested a BRG, finding the same type of room for $100 less on a recognized site, so have the room for free! Wonder if I will still get a status upgrade to the Club floor?

Was considering the new Radisson across from the IC (assume that's the one you're referring to, holtju2), but thought I'd check out the CP and fortunately it will now not cost me anything to do so.

(The SAmerican CP I really miss was the Americana in Buenos Aires right across from the Opera. Great location and well kept property.)
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:11 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by holtju2
I was there couple of times last year. Yes. You will receive a club access. Didn't go the breakfast but had some booze in the evening with friends. The selectiomn of evening snacks is very limited but the alcohol selection is fine. I like the weird layout of the club with the pool table.

Here's YouTube video of the room I had: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_s2SnGirSA
You didn't mention the pool table in the lounge Had a few games there when I stayed for 7 nights last November!! Breakfast in the lounge (Plats get upgraded and access) is cooked to order eggs and the usual cold dishes and fruit. I didn't like the fact that there was not even water available during the day in the lounge
My room and view were similar to the one shown in the video above.

I felt the area was safe and was a 15 minute walk to Barrio Bellavista where all the bars and restaurants are located.

Last edited by kpc; Feb 28, 2013 at 10:32 pm
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Was considering the new Radisson across from the IC (assume that's the one you're referring to, holtju2), but thought I'd check out the CP and fortunately it will now not cost me anything to do so.
Yeah. This was the new Radisson Plaza Santiago in the city center. Not that faraway from the IC that I have also stayed at.

Originally Posted by kpc

I felt the area was safe and was a 15 minute walk to Barrio Bellavista where all the bars and restaurants are located.
Someone snatched by cell phone (was running towards and just stole it from my hand) when I was walking back to hotel around 5AM. Luckily, it was an older phone that needed to be replaced anyway.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 1:33 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by holtju2

Someone snatched by cell phone (was running towards and just stole it from my hand) when I was walking back to hotel around 5AM. Luckily, it was an older phone that needed to be replaced anyway.
I'm usually fast asleep in bed by 5am, in fact a lot earlier
Old Apr 27, 2013, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At the CP and this must be one of the few ICH properties that really delivers status benefits. Even on my BRG, I have received a Club level room with lounge access, and returning from an afternoon at Concho y Toro found a bottle of Diablo Cabernet in the room. Then in the lounge, the attendant insisted in bringing a bottle of Carmerare from the restaurant cellar rather than the bottle we were drinking. It was superb!

No wonder this property proudly displays a full case of "best property" awards in the lobby. I feel guilty about not spending any money here!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.