Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lousy exchange rate transaction?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2005, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite *G :: LH Sen *G :: IC Royal Amb :: PC Plat :: HH Diamond
Thumbs down Lousy exchange rate transaction?

How do they do when they quote rates in USD but then charge them in a local currency? My recent example of this is Bangkok Intercontinental. I booked a rate at 112USD (131 incl taxes and fees). With the current exchange rate this would be 911SEK. But today I saw that my Diners Club CC was charged with 5461THB per night. This comes out to be 1039SEK instead of 911SEK which would have been the case if charged directly in USD.
I am now suspicious that IC BKK first recalculate into THB from USD before making the charge, leaving me paying a for lousy exchange rate transaction. Not that I care much about those 15USD in difference per night but I don’t like they are doing it (and in BKK this is a pretty good dinner worth of money )
Old Mar 30, 2005, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Gustaf
I am now suspicious that IC BKK first recalculate into THB from USD before making the charge, leaving me paying a for lousy exchange rate transaction.
That's exactly what they do: at lest it's what they've always done to me. They want equivalent USD rates, but can't charge in USD, so they quote rates in USD and put these into THB on transaction day. It gets even messier when they take prepayment for the first night, then try to play "catch up" with exchange rates on your check out day.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite *G :: LH Sen *G :: IC Royal Amb :: PC Plat :: HH Diamond
I wonder if it’ll do any good complaining about this while there? I bet they won’t
Old Apr 5, 2005, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Absolutely no good at all But it's always a good idea to write in to the IC mandarins and let them know how unhappy you feel about it ..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.