Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award stay but they didn't take the points

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Award stay but they didn't take the points

so I just had a 9 day stay. I came to check in, they had trouble finding my reservation, turns out I stupidly had booked the reservation for the day prior to my arrival. So they had canceled my reservation and charged me for no show.

person at the desk says no worries, we will reinstate your reservation for the remainder of your stay but still need to charge you for the 1st night for the no show but we will refund the points for the first night.. i said sure, they charged my card and off I went.

however, now that I'm home and it's been 2 weeks - they haven't taken the points. I see the point reversal for the entire stay but not them taking the points for the remainder of the days besides the first. Do I just let sleeping dogs lay or reach out to them?
skyye_99 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Exp Plat / Marriott Titanium/ Hyatt Globalist/ Delta Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by cardigans1
so I just had a 9 day stay. I came to check in, they had trouble finding my reservation, turns out I stupidly had booked the reservation for the day prior to my arrival. So they had canceled my reservation and charged me for no show.

person at the desk says no worries, we will reinstate your reservation for the remainder of your stay but still need to charge you for the 1st night for the no show but we will refund the points for the first night.. i said sure, they charged my card and off I went.

however, now that I'm home and it's been 2 weeks - they haven't taken the points. I see the point reversal for the entire stay but not them taking the points for the remainder of the days besides the first. Do I just let sleeping dogs lay or reach out to them?
I would delete your post and count it as a bank error in your favor and move on.
mnhusker and ffgap like this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by j1194
I would delete your post and count it as a bank error in your favor and move on.
I’d be honest and contact the hotel
Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:28 pm

I would consider those points taken and leave them in your account unused. If after a year they are still there consider yourself lucky and enjoy them. If they actually take them at some point than you are where you should have been anyway
ARR72, Happy and cardigans1 like this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
I suggest opening a Compensation Clinic case for this error and getting compensation points 😂😂

PS: it is not impossible that at the hotel's annual financial close, the hotel will realise the problem (it is compensated on rewards stays) and debit the points from your account.
ProjectSunburst likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 2:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
What happens if he doesn’t have the points?
Old Feb 11, 2024, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Cthunder86
What happens if he doesn’t have the points?
They come to his house, steal his shoes, tie the laces together, and toss them up onto the telephone line.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
They come to his house, steal his shoes, tie the laces together, and toss them up onto the telephone line.
Actually I once had a HI in Turin, took my FN cert but 6 months later also charged my CC. When I called the hotel, they kept telling me the hotel manager or the guy who spoke English was not there / out on vacation or whatever excuses the phone recipient could come up with. So I resorted to dispute the charge with Chase. A week after that the hotel issued a refund. Chase then sent me a post card that Chase would revert the credit issued by them...

I have seen points accidentally given to wrong account and never taken back but I have not seen points never be taken even Months after stay. I think the suggestion of keeping the points in the account as if already being spent is a sound approach.
beltway likes this.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 11, 2024 at 5:12 pm
Old Feb 13, 2024, 7:19 am
wsc

Defo call them and ask them to take the points!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.