Search

Points for Overlapping Stays?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2023, 8:22 am
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Points for Overlapping Stays?

I stayed at a HIX in the UK last week with a colleague, I made the booking (and paid) for both of us. So 2 rooms, both booked using my IHG account and I paid for both.

I did get the 300 welcome points for both rooms posted to my IHG account so the IT systems seemed to immediately acknowledge that both were under my account. However, when the main points were posted to my account a few days after the stay, the second room states. "Overlapping Stay" and zero points credited.

Now I always thought that overlapping stays like this (when one IHG account holder purchases >1 room concurrently) does attracts the points too? I appreciate the second (or more) room(s) do not count towards maintaining status but I recall I used to get the points still? It doubly seems odd in that I have definitely been credited with the welcome points for the second room...this surely confirmed that IHG's IT systems recognised points for both rooms came to me?

So I wondered, is this worth a claim in the "Missing Points" section of the website?
Old Oct 30, 2023, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by BOH
So I wondered, is this worth a claim in the "Missing Points" section of the website?
Nope, you are not entitled to earning "stay" points (and for that matter, "stay" nights as well) for any other room than the one you were registered in - potentially only points resulting from additional incidental eligible charges.

From IHG 1R MTs&Cs:
35. Earning Points on Multiple Rooms: Except at InterContinental Alliance Resorts, Members may earn Points on all Eligible Charges for multiple hotel rooms (up to 9) provided those rooms are used in conjunction with the Member's Stay at the same hotel, and the Member’s IHG One Rewards account number is recorded on each reservation, or the charges from those multiple room reservations are referred to on the hotel room bill associated with the Member's reservation.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 3:02 pm

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by MichaelA380
Nope, you are not entitled to earning "stay" points (and for that matter, "stay" nights as well) for any other room than the one you were registered in - potentially only points resulting from additional incidental eligible charges.

From IHG 1R MTs&Cs:
I think I read this as you DO get points. I also know from personal experience that you get points AND nights for multiple rooms. Twice this year. One of them was for 3 rooms for 5 nights. All billed to me.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 4:34 am

Had points + welcome points for two HIX rooms posted for a stay last week.
All charges settled in one transaction if that matters.
Second room shows in my account as 0 points, but first room shows points for both rooms plus incidentals.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
It should help if you get the front desk to move the charges to a single folio.
ProjectSunburst likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I am booking a 3 night stay for myself and a 4 night stay for my friend who will be arriving a day before me at same hotel (IC in Dubai). We check out on the same day. Friend doesn’t have an IHG account. I know it will be flagged as an overlapping stay and I will only get the night credits for my room, but will I be able to get the points for both rooms if the dates don’t quite match up?
Old Feb 19, 2024, 1:10 pm

Logically, the fact that the two stays do not fully overlap should be of no relevance, because for a period of three nights there will be two occupied rooms recorded under your IHG 1R membership number (and honestly, it should also does not matter if this is in the same hotel or not - you should only be getting the program benefits for the room in which you are physically sleeping).

However, that is only the theory - there is no telling how sophisticated their reservation system is in practice (I mean ... this is the company that suffered one of the greatest security breaches in history for using the password "Qwerty1234" to protect its systems ...).

I am personally not aware of any real-life expereinces reported here or across the major blogs - but let's be honest, if such a loophole were to be once available, the likes of SF, LL, etc. would have stuffed it been all over it long time ago it and would have destroyed it for everyone else.
margarita girl likes this.

Last edited by MichaelA380; Feb 19, 2024 at 1:17 pm
Old Feb 19, 2024, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Well, I’ll go with it since my friend doesn’t have an account. There’s nothing to lose. Maybe I’ll get credit for 4 nights too instead of 3.

So should I report back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.