Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting Out of Non-Refundable Booking

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2023, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Getting Out of Non-Refundable Booking

Probably not possible, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Has anyone managed to get a hotel to cancel a non-refundable booking for free? It's a Kimpton for what it's worth. If so, could you share what you did.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 11:35 am

if they haven't collected payment, you can report a lost credit card to stop approvals on the old card number that's stored in the reservation. many properties wouldn't chase the matter when the card declines.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 11:36 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Not sure if it's my status (Diamond Ambassador) but I've managed to get three non-cancellable bookings cancelled without charge by emailing the hotel and being really nice with a valid reason.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Mordac
Probably not possible, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Has anyone managed to get a hotel to cancel a non-refundable booking for free? It's a Kimpton for what it's worth. If so, could you share what you did.
What's the reason for wanting to cancel?

I have been successful twice in the past at getting a booking refunded (not sure if it was a non-refundable, or a regular booking that I needed to cancel after the cancellation deadline), due to flight cancellations. In each case, I contacted the hotel directly.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Colin
if they haven't collected payment, you can report a lost credit card to stop approvals on the old card number that's stored in the reservation. many properties wouldn't chase the matter when the card declines.
Wouldn't that be fraud?
Crofton138 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It would dpend on the hotel , time of year of the booking, how busy the hotel is or is going to be and how much notice you have given

They may be prepared to allow you to switch it to another booking but that's abour it. If they do refund then great but they don't have to.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 11:45 am

Programs: IHG Diamond AMB, M&M SEN
Probably if you are regular this may increase your chance if asking nicely?
Old Aug 18, 2023, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
It's not really a good reason, I just have found a better deal elsewhere. xD Probably best to stick with the original one then.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 12:08 pm

Have had this a few times. Always my mistake as well I should add.

When I've approached Ambassador center, the opening is usually the same .... 'it's not allowed sir'. But in fairness with a little polite and firm coms, Ambassador will concede and flex.

In fact, I was told by AC that they are allowed one change or concessionary cancel per year. I rather got the impression that was for those with track record and volume of stays but I could be wrong. I've made a couple of howling bad and large reservations on non flex which have proven to be way off target and they have been accommodating.

I do think in the main that it depends on the degree of humility, polite firmness and quality of communication you strike up. You should get a good hearing. I would not bother dealing with the hotel personally.
willoL likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Wouldn't that be fraud?
you believe it is "fraud" to throw-away your credit card and ask Chase to send a replacement? will the erroneously-closed-credit-card division of the FBI pursue the matter?
rjburns likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Colin
you believe it is "fraud" to throw-away your credit card and ask Chase to send a replacement? will the erroneously-closed-credit-card division of the FBI pursue the matter?
It is when you do it deliberatly - not erroneously - to try and avoid paying the bill for a serive you wilingly agreed to pay..

And trying to be snarky doesn't take away from that.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
It's not really a good reason, I just have found a better deal elsewhere. xD Probably best to stick with the original one then.
It's rarely a good idea to book non-refundable hotel stays. But whatever... half of FT doesn't listen to that advice.

But when you do book non-refundable WHY WHY WHY are you checking other hotels and/or to see if the rate has dropped. That's what FLEXIBLE rates are for - set/cap your maximum price and let you play around with improvements between booking and staying.
HNL1K, Modo, Ilove2fly and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 12:38 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
If they haven't charged you yet, can you amend the booking to a cancellable rate for payment at the hotel, I've been able to do that before, I then cancelled the booking
rt23456p and Crofton138 like this.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
It is when you do it deliberatly - not erroneously - to try and avoid paying the bill for a serive you wilingly agreed to pay..

And trying to be snarky doesn't take away from that.
it is not "FRAUD" to request a new credit card number from Chase to avoid a charge, anymore than a stop-payment on a check is "FRAUD".

there's a separate matter between you & the hotel. which I addressed in my original post by saying "many properties wouldn't chase the matter when the card declines". if you close out the card number with Chase, cancel the reservation, hotel tries & fails to collect credit card payment, and then the hotel drops the matter, no one has been the victim of "FRAUD." the hotel has decided on its own to not pursue the matter with a demand for payment
Old Aug 18, 2023, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Saral
If they haven't charged you yet, can you amend the booking to a cancellable rate for payment at the hotel, I've been able to do that before, I then cancelled the booking
So I decided to stick with this booking because I'd forgotten about the 10k after 4 nights offer, and that does move the dial! But in case anyone comes across this and wants to know the answer, it did look like this would have worked, thank you very much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.